• scan0002.JPG
    scan0002.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,090

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that is supposed to represent two sides of the same coin it would have to be doctored from two coins as the planchets are of different metals. You'd have a silvery cent on one side or a coppery dime on one side if it was a mint error.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
not sure but wonder if it is a trick coin like for a magic trick. I had a trick coin that was one side a Kennedy half dollar and the other was a Mexican coin.

Funkman

OP
OP
J

Jakebr

Mar 4, 2008
Charlie....That does make sense and I'm not opposed to the magicians coin either maybe thats why it would have been doctored

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
crazy thing also is that pennies are bigger than dimes. WOuld have thought that it would be more of a penny on the sides than a dime. Unless I am wrong.

Funkman

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the a coin book or look for some info

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A "Magician's Coin" (penny and dime coin) is of two colors and has a value of a couple dollars.

An error coin known as an "11-cent piece" has been struck twice at the Mint -- once with the dies for the penny and once with the dies for the dime -- showing details of both designs, usually on both sides of the coin.

The tell-tale difference is the "11-cent piece" will be the same color on both sides -- either copper from the penny blank or silvery colored from the dime blank -- unlike the above mentioned Magician's Coin.
Don.......

Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Coin-Collecting-2297/half-penny-half-dime.htm

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry
but nothing less than a scam
penny and dime with the same circumference?
and a 2 poster?
Brady

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
bradyboy said:
sorry
but nothing less than a scam
penny and dime with the same circumference?
and a 2 poster?
Brady

Its NOT A SCAM, its a trick coin. How many posts is someone suppose to have, before they can ask a question?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
general questions are how new and old people learn. Had the person offered to sell it it might have been a scam but could also have been an attempt to raise money to buy a detector. siegfried schlagrule

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACTUALLY, it's possible that this could be a mule. If one side of the dime planchet wasn't coated with the silver metal (nickel), only the copper core would be visible. Look on the side of a modern dime and you'll see the copper core. The reason the rim of the cent side wouldn't be complete is because the cent is larger than the dime and was (?) struck on a smaller planchet.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mercury bonds to copper :icon_study:

fudope

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a fake. Because, if it was real, it would either be all silvery color, or all copper color. Because the planchet is not 2 different coins fused together. Its one planchet. and a dime was punched on one side, and a penny on the other. What someone did was file one side of each coin and glued it together.

GhostCoast

Apr 11, 2012
Gainesville, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Other
funkman said:
not sure but wonder if it is a trick coin like for a magic trick. I had a trick coin that was one side a Kennedy half dollar and the other was a Mexican coin.

Funkman

This coin is actually two coins (one fits inside the other). The mexi side is dual sided, removed with a special device, the other side is the back of the half dollar. A long explanation of the trick would follow but just take it to a magic shop and they'll prob buy it from you.

cdobis

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Canton, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still a "MAGIC TRICK COIN." We used to sell them in my buddies magic shop. It's not a mistake, it was made that way to fool the girls and the kids.

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
I have a "mule" type coin (actually "coins") kind of like this... It's a Jefferson nickel (can't tell what year because you can only see the reverse side completely) with what looks like a blank copper penny that's been struck to one side of the nickel with such force that the two are inseparable. You can even see very tiny "flow lines" coming down from the rim of the penny blank (made when force is applied to a too-thick substrate) and it also has a slight "bottletop" appearance which seems to have stretched the penny blank out somewhat which makes the penny blank ALMOST as large in diameter as the nickel -- but not quite. I doubt it was a "joke coin" since the penny that is bonded to the nickel is a blank AND they are just slightly different in size so that you see it right away. Also, no year can be read on either coin since the penny is blank and it covers the obverse (front) of the nickel enough so that you can't read the date on the nickel either! I read somewhere where it's possible that a smaller coin could get stuck in the striking chamber before the production line at the mint was changed for a larger coin and then get hammered onto one of the larger coins when the run started...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread