canadian coins?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian coins are only produced by the Royal Canadian Mint (www.mint.ca ) in Ottawa, so there is no need for a mintmark. A couple of exceptions happened in the early days of the Confederation when Canada contracted the Heaton and Birmingham Mints to produce some of the Canadian coins. In these cases, an "H" mintmark was placed on the lower part of either the obverse or reverse. Canada also had coins struck by the London Mint, but there was no mintmark used.

I don't have a new Canadian cent handy to check, but I imagine the P you see below the Queen's bust is the initial of the designer.

John in ID

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 2001 coins were the first to be issued as regular sets with 5 values made of multi-ply plated steel. The multi-ply plated coins (1 cent to 50 Cents) carry the mark P.

Also, some coins minted in 2000 carried the mint mark 'W' for Winnipeg.
Don.....

OP
OP
T

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Thanks Don. I had actually read this online late last night, and went to bed before I could come back here and post it. They look so nice though, guess they have to strike a bit harder because its steel. I was hoping the P meant proof :D

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newer 2006-present Canadian coins have a new RCM mintmark (RCM = Royal Canadian Mint). It looks sort of like a crown in a circle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread