Chinese Counterfeiters - This is just plain wrong!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That tears it! I refuse to compete in the Olympics being held in China. >:(

All we have to do to get the message to China is to stop buying their products until they get a handle on the concept of "intellectual property", or even plain old thievery.

But if you have checked labels lately that might be almost impossible.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Why counterfeit these old coins though? Because their value is higher? It would seem to me that if you wanted to do this you should counterfeit the newer coins, unless you are targeting collectors themselves, trying to bilk them out of their money.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
A little over a yr ago I was looking for a few trade dollars for my collection. I purchased 4 of them on feebay for a price that I should have known was to good to be true.
anyway when they arrived they were shipped from china. all 4 were fakes. their weight was only between 390 and 400 grains and all had rotated reverses.
it seems they are minting the older coins that are seen bringing decent prices on the net between collectors. I do not think it is any attempt against the US dollar as much as it is their usual counterfeit collectable like everything else they make.
now I take my own scale with me to any place that I am planning on possibly buying coins.

HH Joe

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? CRAP, I just bought my first Trade dollar last night on ebay. Is there any way for a rookie to tell the fakes from the real deal? It's an 1877 S

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Yet another reason why we need to stop importing from China. They cannot be trusted. Let the ships full Chinese junk sit and rust in the ocean for all I care.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
quote "Is there any way for a rookie to tell the fakes from the real deal?"

The first clue to spot a possible fake is to hold the coin with the face towards you and the date centered on the bottom. Flip the coin over from top to bottom. The D in dollar should be bottom center now. Look at the coin the D in dollar on the reverse should line up with the center of the date on the front. If it does not then the reverse is so-called rotated. The first sign of it being one of the counterfeits.
The second way to tell the difference is to weigh it. A good trade dollar should weigh between 415 grains on a worn coin and 420 on a nice one. Most of the counterfeits are less than 400 grains.

My 2 cents
Joe

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joe, I don't have a scale but the first method I've never heard of. I will do it as soon as it arrives, hopfully this week. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! Ryan

OP
OP
JCinNJ

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
cam9457 said:
Thanks Joe, I don't have a scale but the first method I've never heard of. I will do it as soon as it arrives, hopfully this week. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! Ryan

If it is fake and you bought it from someone in the U.S. call in the feds! :wink:

HH

- joe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HiiiQ said:
Mine is on EBAY. I cannot tell if it's real or counterfeit,but if it is real with a mistake on the date somebody will hit the jackpot...http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=300212319848

Discription on EBay
A friend of mine found a similar coin in an old house wrapped in a piece of cloth. The year doesn't make sense ,so it's either a counterfeit or a mistake was made on the date. It has "cc" on the bottom and it is silver.

Fake.
They didn't make mistakes like that.

However IF it is silver it's worth it's weight.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I would buy a coin graded by NGC, PCGS or ANACS and feel confident that it was real. You can always "crack" a coin out of the slab if you prefer a raw coin.

VPR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread