2008 Silver Eagles with mint errors.... Possibly High Value Coins????

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2008 uncirculated silver eagles minted at West Point that have the reverse of the 2007 silver eagles. The differences between the 2008W "normal" reverse and the 2008W minted with the 2007 reverse are significant enough to allow for the two varieties to be easily identified. The variety (error?) has been officially recognized by coin grading companies such as NGC and is a hot topic of discussion amongst avid coin collectors.

The question I have is: With the population of 2008/2007reverse eagles unknown or at least unconfirmed, there is speculation that only 47,000 coins made it out of the mint, do you think it's worth taking a gamble on getting one of these coins in hopes of its potential future value?? Past performance should not be overly relied upon to determine future potential but the 1995 proof did do quite well (valued at around $5,000 today) with a population of just over 30,000 coins.

Check out NGC's web page for details on how to ID the variety:
http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1016

I'd love to hear some opinions...,sooner rather than later, as the prices are climbing on these puppies.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I have 25 of these varieties (not errors) stashed away that I bought for an average of $170, including two NGC MS 69 Early releases that I got for $69 a piece before the prices skyrocketed. I also have two NGC MS 69 ER's in multi-coin slabs, including a reverse of 2007 and of 2008.

The mint released a statement, explaining that there were about 47,000 made. However, due to the relatively low number of eBay auctions at this time, many dealers and collectors are speculating that not all of these were released. I agree with them, and I believe that this coin will be a real winner with a mintage of less than 25k.

Here are some examples of what I bought.

OttPictures004.jpg

Ottcoins001.jpg

-Paul

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul,

Thanks for your opinion on the 2008W rev07 Eagle coins. Boy you were lucky to have jumped on to that variety as early as you did. I've been real busy with one thing or another over the past several weeks and completely missed this news when the story broke last month.

When you think of it, even if the U.S. Mint estimate is way off, and lets say 80,000 eagles made it out into circulation, the coin, I think, would still be considered a winner. However, I suspect that the scenario you presented in your post, where perhaps a quantity less than the stated 47,000 coins thought to be produced actually made it out of the Mint is very plausible, and that would make this coin a super star :thumbsup: .

If you gain any further info, or insight, on these eagles I'd love to learn of it.

Thanks,

Johnny Cache Hunter

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
putting it another way if 80,000 were sold then it is slightly more than three times as rare as the 1909-s-vdb which had a mintage over 1/4 million. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread