Nova Constellatio Coin

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I just ID a coin I found a few days ago with my Ace 250 metal detector. It only had six smooth letters to work with and a bit of laurel. By luck I was scrolling through a bunch of pics of different colonial coppers and wow :o there it was. This coin is wicked worn and has about as much detail as a peice of paper. Im still thrilled because its my first 1700's find except for a few revolutionary war musket balls. With its condition issues I thought I could never ID it. I was just told by my son that he thinks it is Vermont copper. I found it here in Vermont less than a mile from my home. Could anyone tell me if this is a Vemont copper. I also was told they were minted around 1783 to 1786...is this correct?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nova constellatios were dated 1783 to 1785, Vermont coppers were 1785 to 1788. Hard to say from your description. The Novas do have a wreath on one side, the Vermonts do not. What letters can you see? Better yet, can you post a picture?

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Im kinda ashamed to post a pic of this coin but I will do it anyway. I see such awesome coins on T net found by metal detector hobbist. I find a awesome coin and it looks like this. Oh well Im a beginner and only been detecting for 5 months so maybe something better will turn up. I don't know if you can see any letters in pic but I ID the word justitia and a tiny bit of wreath....Thats it...I soaked it in hot peroxide for about 5 hours and maybe I will keep up that process. I truly think it was well worn when it was lost. To bad there wasnt something to ID the style or year but justitia isnt going to do it.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 219

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey it is a great historic find regardless of condition, I would love to have found it. If you can see Justitia then you are probably right about it being a Nova Constellatio, not a Vermont. Terrific find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread