• 1798 cent-r.jpg
    1798 cent-r.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 336

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I think it would be worth getting graded. Especially because of the year and the condition. Very nice.

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
It would be worth sending it to PCGS. Once slabbed, its easier to sell. It is a travesty that a coin that old is not worth more than listed.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Send it to ANACS. They will give it a net grade and label it "Environmentally damaged". PCGS or NGC will send it back and you are out your grading fees. ANACS is super easy to submit and there are no membership fees.

OP
OP
G

GaCracker

Feb 13, 2005
Today I noticed..........

While admiring my newfound treasure today I happened to flip it over from top to bottom and noticed that the obverse and reverse, instead of being 180 degrees out, is offset about 15 degrees(or 165 degrees out). Does this constitute an "error coin"?

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
Re: Today I noticed..........

GaCracker said:
While admiring my newfound treasure today I happened to flip it over from top to bottom and noticed that the obverse and reverse, instead of being 180 degrees out, is offset about 15 degrees(or 165 degrees out). Does this constitute an "error coin"?

With newer coins, yes, that would be an error but back a long time ago when your coin was struck "errors" such as yours were common.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S-187 variety

GaCracker said:
Found this today. The photo's don't do it justice. Do you folks think it is in good enough shape to have it graded?

I would say no to do the slabbing and grading, I will see if I can attribute the variety for you and if it is a rare one, than perhaps, but if a more common variety I would say, enjoy the great condition large cent as part of your collection. Only sell if you are really strapped for money.

Don

Update, before I posted above I spent some time looking thru the book and there are approximately 46 varieties of the 1798 Large Cent. Many are Rare, Very Rare, Scarce and Common, about 4 or 5 are considered very common. After looking at the first 45 varieties I was about to give up and the very last variety seems to without a doubt match your coin. Unfortunately it is one of the few Very Common varieties.

With the coin being a Very Common variety and having a little bit of corrosion on it, I would say enjoy your coin and be proud of finding one of the nicest conditioned Large Cents you might find, enjoy it in your collection, I would not send it away to get it graded or slabbed, unless you just want to have one slabbed. That is a personal choice.

Your coin is a Sheldon 187 variety. Your scan/photo is not exactly totally clear but the diagnostic factor for a S-187 variety is that the top berry on the left wreath DROOPS. I am fairly certain, by looking at the angle of that berry's stem it is in a drooped position. I checked against and few other varieties and it does not match those berries.

If you look on this website, under personal collection, for the 1798 Large Cents you will see a nice photo of a S-187 that you can personally compare with. Also, the S-187 has a die crack or two on the Obverse side that I also see, comfirming my attribution.

http://www.largecents.net/collection/1798drbust.html

Don

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Beautiful coin. I agree on not grading it. It will come up enviromental damage. Plus, it may start corroding faster if it is slabbed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread