Accidentally found a way to clean my dug up coins

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago I went detecting at an old farm. Had a pretty good day, some roosie's, and assorted other newer silver and clad. The week before I found an 1829 half cent but left it in my detecting pants in a zippered pocket and had forgot about it. Well, yesterday my wife threw my threw my detecting pants in the washing machine without me knowing about it. She asked my to put the laundry into the dryer from the washer, ok, no problem. I had my mind on a few other things while putting the stuff in the dryer until I saw my detecting pants, CRAP! Well, going through the washer had an interesting effect on my uncleaned coins. They were remarkably clean! Even the half cent! I guess being in the zippered pocket protected the half cent from being scratched up or anything? The silvers came out almost gleaming white! The clad didn't see much improvement other then removing the dirt. Just thought I'd share my accident/experiment. HH

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a good deal. I have wondered about putting coins in a dish washer? I may give it a try. Oh and how do you forget about a 1829 coin you found???? I would still be freaking out!!! :o

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pretty bad head injury in a train wreck at work about two years ago at work. I'm lucky if I remember my detector when I go detecting LOL! Seriously though, I have been finding more large copper in the last few months then ever before! Probably just was down in the seem of the pocket it was in and I usually get hit with my two wild kids and a "honey do" list as soon as I walk through the door from detecting. All turned out ok though

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
might have to try that. and that was my first thought "u forgot" lol, well thanks 4 the explanation

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny how we come across things like that sometimes, seems to work best on silver coins

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chong in my neck of the woods they usually come out of the ground looking like a cicular clump of mud. It just looked like a mud caked small disk. I would say just be careful if you want to try it, keep the coins separate and keep them in a "pocket" or something so they don't get scratched by the inside of the washing machine

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
yeah, i figured that, thanks for the tip, ill try on the next silver i get, since there are no coppers around here. ill post back in here the results when i do:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread