1995 Penny.....Do you see what i see ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Can anyone help me out here ? i got this penny in my pocket change in 1995 ? while i was at work
so i took it to a well known coin dealer i said do you see what i see ? his reply Nope, i don't see nuthin
Well, i've had it ever since kinda forgot about it until now i'm curious to see what kind of feedback i get
on this ? ?
On the OBV i see IN GOD W and LIBERTY is double i know in a coin magazine they were asking
$ 85.00 for a Gem BU MS66+ coin but, that was back in 95 I have 2 questions you all
1 - is this a true 1995 double die ?
2 - and what would be the value today ? > i got it in my pocket so i know it's in circulated condition <
IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3753_3.jpg

any and all help is appreciated !! Mike HH

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no error expert but it does look like a doubled obverse die. I don't know about value but I did find an estimate of $5 to $50, depending on condition. Have a good dealer check it out.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
l.cutler said:
I am no error expert but it does look like a doubled obverse die. I don't know about value but I did find an estimate of $5 to $50, depending on condition. Have a good dealer check it out.
thanks for the reply l.cutler i did ask a dealer he said he did'nt see anything and i don't plan on selling it
i was just wondering if it was a true double die and what if any ? worth it had thanks much !!

Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Dont bother getting it graded. Value?? I would expect to get arround $30.00 +/- in my ebay store.

My 2 cents..... VPR

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Dont bother getting it graded. Value?? I would expect to get arround $30.00 +/- in my ebay store.

My 2 cents..... VPR

i have to agree the cost of the grading Takes away from what you can make.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
VERMONTPACKRAT said:

My 2 cents..... VPR
Thanks for the info VPR $30.00+/- isn't bad for pocket change :D I've seen a lot of people grade a coin
on this forum i just took 2 photo's of it obv + rev i'm posting them now i'm hoping somebody can give me
an idea on what it would grade at ? ? and as far as red i'm color blind i only see a penny :-\
IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3756_2.jpg

anybody ? Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Good eye Mike ... :thumbsup:

Sweet & keep eating those Carrots ... :icon_king:

~ Nick ~
Thanks Nick carrots lol at least once a week :D

Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I say AU58 on the grade. Do I see a finger print on the obverse? That will take from the value slightly.

VPR
thanks for the reply VPR yes, that is a finger print is there "any way" to get rid of it without doing
any damage ? ? i must've got it in the change machine at work in 95 i'm suprised there aren't any
mint bag marks on it none from the change machine either i know it's tough grading it by my
photo's thanks for looking though :wink:

Mike HH

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike in Berks said:
i did ask a dealer he said he did'nt see anything

Really? Is he blind in both eyes? That's one of the most pronounced doubling coins I've ever seen :)

I agree with VP about the grade, AU55-59 for sure. Even though your not gonna sell it you might wanna have it graded by PCGS or NGC. They put it in that nice slab that protects it for future generations :) That alone would be worth the price of admission as this coin could go WAY up in value in the future. You never know. Protecting these coins for 100 years or more is extremely important :)

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
djui5 said:
Mike in Berks said:
i did ask a dealer he said he did'nt see anything

Really? Is he blind in both eyes? That's one of the most pronounced doubling coins I've ever seen :)

I agree with VP about the grade, AU55-59 for sure. Even though your not gonna sell it you might wanna have it graded by PCGS or NGC. They put it in that nice slab that protects it for future generations :) That alone would be worth the price of admission as this coin could go WAY up in value in the future. You never know. Protecting these coins for 100 years or more is extremely important :)
thanks for the reply djui5 i'm always open to advise :) yup, a well known coin dealer Jeff of Pa knows
who i'm talkimg about he just did'nt have any interest in it i guess didn't even make an offer so, i put it in
an air tight ? holder for the last 13 years i did'nt even know it was in the Red Book until after i posted it :tard:
Red Book says 2008 UNC. 40.00 2009 UNC 40.00 in 1995 Coin Books were selling them for 85.00 i still
have the advertisement i guess they went down in value maybe they found "thousands" of them i don't know ?
that leads me to believe VPR gave me a correct price 30.00 +/- :) and VPR and you gave me a correct grade :)
but, i'm am curious about 2 things 1. will PCGS or NGC clean it ? 2. if not, is there any way to get rid of the
"finger print" without damaging the coin.....or is it to late - damage done ?
here's a photo of the advertisement from 95 i think ?
dd.jpg

and here the >supposedly< "air tight" holder i was keeping it in
IMG_3758_2.JPG

Mike HH

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you have a nice one there! The dealer is either a [prohibited word deleted], or was looking to
rip you off. I found one this year, as you can see by my avatar.

Happy Hunting!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that holder will be fine if you seal the edges with super glue. DO NOT GET IT ON THE COIN! I know hat's obvious :)

As for the finger print, I wouldn't wipe it with anything but maybe a micro fiber cloth. Even that is scary and make sure it's a brand new cloth. No telling if it'll take the print off or not. Don't rub hard, and wipe your hands with rubbing alcohol before allowing the alcohol to dry first. Also wear white gloves whenever handling the coin :) Whatever you do, don't put anything liquid on it!

That's my advice. Some others might be able to help more, I'm a novice :)

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
My opinion is to leave the finger print alone. The coin is what it is. A cleaning or wiping on a copper coin is not recomended.

VPR

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
My opinion is to leave the finger print alone. The coin is what it is. A cleaning or wiping on a copper coin is not recomended.

VPR

the finger print makes it more Valuable.
Just ask the Home shopping channel.
who would put
an extra $200.00 on it. because your
buying the fingerprint too :P

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
enamel7 said:
Yep, you have a nice one there! The dealer is either a [prohibited word deleted], or was looking to
rip you off. I found one this year, as you can see by my avatar.

Happy Hunting!
thanks enamel7 i like your avatar :thumbsup: as far as coin dealers go > not all < they think if the
seller doesn't know it's the buyer - dealers profit i messed up on 1 other coin(gold) i made a SMALL
profit and the dealer made a BIG profit a week or so later he had the nerve to say to me hey, i saw
something on the coin i did'nt see when you sold it to me $$ hahahaha >:( well, he lost my business !!
seems to me there were a lot of these released by the mint ? congrats on your find :D

Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
djui5 said:
I think that holder will be fine if you seal the edges with super glue. DO NOT GET IT ON THE COIN! I know hat's obvious :)

As for the finger print, I wouldn't wipe it with anything but maybe a micro fiber cloth. Even that is scary and make sure it's a brand new cloth. No telling if it'll take the print off or not. Don't rub hard, and wipe your hands with rubbing alcohol before allowing the alcohol to dry first. Also wear white gloves whenever handling the coin :) Whatever you do, don't put anything liquid on it!

That's my advice. Some others might be able to help more, I'm a novice :)
djui5 if i remember right i got home from work and all i did was rinse it off with water then i dabbed it
with a cotton cloth an in the holder it went hey, thanks for the advice but, i guess i'll leave it as is :)

Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
VERMONTPACKRAT said:

VPR
VPR you've been a real help :thumbsup: i'm gonna it alone it is what it is to bad it's a zinc'r it seems
they don't last long below or above the ground :( at least i can say i found a double die now :D

Mike HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread