1965 silver dime?????

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a coin collector, but I have seen on the internet searching about coin errors the 1965 silver dimes. They are rare and are worth ALOT of money.

Here ya go..Found this link...Second coin I believe.
http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/pocketchange.htm

If you do have the real deal, get it certified and be happy.. :thumbsup:

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i always find the 65 dime and quarters, alot sound like the silver when u rattle them with other coins, i dunno why. but always, they have that copper band on the edge :(

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
n_sandler4 said:
dragon6banger said:
could they have been in a silver proof set

The silver proof sets were not started until 1992. Before 1964, the sets were technically silver proof sets, but only because all circulating halves, quarters, and dimes were made of 90% silver. There is no way these dimes came out of a silver proof set. In fact, the proofs of 1964 and before were minted in Philadelphia, not San Fransisco.

I stand by my original assessment, and I am 99.999% sure that these dimes are NOT silver, no matter what the jeweler or the OP says.

-Paul

ditto

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
and I strongly second that ditto......not sure why you went to a jeweler and not a coin shop but the jeweler is mistaken and I'm very sorry but I'm quite certain you are not in possession of 2 off metal '65 Roosies.

Kepp on looking though :thumbsup:

HH all!

Greg

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no photos? Post some photos of the front, back, and edge for everyone to see. I'd say lady luck smacked you clean in the pooper if you in fact have two silver 65's.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jeweler test will prove they are silver. He said the test was silver, why would the jeweler lie. It is very possible he has 2 of them. If infact they are in circulation then it is very likely two were in circulation together and would be in the same area. I hope it is the real thing... Send them to a grading company have them slabbed. That will tell you what they are for sure... God Bless, if they are real to you and your sons. I will no longer look at a '65 dime the same again. :o

Send them in and post what they are.... With some pictures too, now if you can!! ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n_sandler4 said:
dragon6banger said:
could they have been in a silver proof set

The silver proof sets were not started until 1992. Before 1964, the sets were technically silver proof sets, but only because all circulating halves, quarters, and dimes were made of 90% silver. There is no way these dimes came out of a silver proof set. In fact, the proofs of 1964 and before were minted in Philadelphia, not San Fransisco.

I stand by my original assessment, and I am 99.999% sure that these dimes are NOT silver, no matter what the jeweler or the OP says.

-Paul

"all circulating halves, quarters, and dimes were made of 90% silver" Only the halves were 90% silver.

Mackaydon said:
Send one of the coins to a reputable authentication service and see what happens.
If the coin turns out to be rare, submit the other one.

Best advise yet ! :thumbsup:

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
"all circulating halves, quarters, and dimes were made of 90% silver"

Only the halves were 90% silver.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't spread mis-information. I have 65 rolls of 90% silver dimes and 21 rolls of 90% quarters that say otherwise. My original statement was 100% factual, and I still whole-heartedly believe that unfortunately for the OP, these dimes are NOT silver.

In fact, I just noticed a contradiction in your statements. First, you tell me that only the halves were 90% silver in 1964, and then turn right around and suggest that the OP should send in one of these coins even though, based on your previous statement, there is no way a dime could be struck on a silver planchet.

-Paul

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n_sandler4 said:

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't spread mis-information. I have 65 rolls of 90% silver dimes and 21 rolls of 90% quarters that say otherwise. My original statement was 100% factual, and I still whole-heartedly believe that unfortunately for the OP, these dimes are NOT silver.

In fact, I just noticed a contradiction in your statements. First, you tell me that only the halves were 90% silver in 1964, and then turn right around and suggest that the OP should send in one of these coins even though, based on your previous statement, there is no way a dime could be struck on a silver planchet.

-Paul
Sorry I meant to say,U.S. half dollars ,dimes and quarters were 90% silver till 1964,1965-1970 Halves were 40% silver.There are no silver dimes,quarters made of silver after 1964 other than thous made for proof sets or a few "error coins" Allso nickels were 35% silver from 1942-1945.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
kieser sousa said:
n_sandler4 said:

-Paul
Sorry I meant to say,U.S. half dollars ,dimes and quarters were 90% silver till 1964,1965-1970 Halves were 40% silver.There are no silver dimes,quarters made of silver after 1964 other than thous made for proof sets or a few "error coins" Allso nickels were 35% silver from 1942-1945.

I suppose by the proof sets you mean modern silver sets?

-Paul

May 10, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Just got through reading this whole thread. Let me state a few facts.
Yes some 1965 dimes were accidently struck on silver planchets. If these are believed to be silver the should be graded and slabbed by NGC. PCGS or ANACS.
Proof coins were discontinued for 1965, 1966, and 1967.
No coins minted between 1965-1967 have any mint marks.
Only the half dollar was issued with any silver content ( .40 Silver ) and these were issued up to 1970.

Hopefully your jeweler did not do severe damage testing the metal content. Get em slalbed.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hauntedwesternny said:
Yes some 1965 dimes were accidently struck on silver planchets. If these are believed to be silver the should be graded and slabbed by NGC. PCGS or ANACS.

Just FYI, of these three ANACS is the only one that will slab it. PCGS and NGC will not slab error coins (unless they have changed policy lately).

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no photos?

With the possibility of such a rare find (twice over), a photo of the coins would provide something to disprove the doubters. I for one still do not believe you are in possession of two EXTREMELY rare 1965 silver dimes. I am not calling you a liar, just think that perhaps you are mistaken.

If you still have the coins, please take photos of the front, back, and edge of the coins and post them for all to see. If you have sent them away to ANACS, please let us know the results and post photos of the slabbed coins when you receive them.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
wayne1956 said:
hauntedwesternny said:

Just FYI, of these three ANACS is the only one that will slab it. PCGS and NGC will not slab error coins (unless they have changed policy lately).

PCGS and NGC both do grade error coins....PCGS is a bit more expensive though, at $40 per coin....

-Paul

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
This guy never posted pictures and I dont see after reading this entire post where he has given an update. Anyone know what became of this? Maybe they were genuine and hes vocationing in the Bahamas. ;D

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never even heard of these.....i def want an update

thomasjg

Dec 25, 2008
Hi,

Not sure exactly how to tell if this is a silver but I found it this afternoon in the yard with my new metal detector!

any help would be appreciated!

IMAGES ---
heads
tails

God Bless
Thomas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread