1965 silver dime?????

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I am aware, the silver stopped in 1964. I have quite a few 65's myself. They seem pretty common.

What makes you think yours is silver?

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have heard of this before but most say no they are not silver but hey who knows :dontknow:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think any 65's slipped thru the cracks as silver or at least I have never seen one.

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
groovedymond,

I am positive they are silver. They are exacly like the 64's and they make the same sound that silve dimes make and they are solid in color all thru them. I found a site that has some info about them. They are worth about $100 a piece and they can still be found in circulation although rarely.

Surfin

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfin said:
groovedymond,

I am positive they are silver. They are exacly like the 64's and they make the same sound that silve dimes make and they are solid in color all thru them. I found a site that has some info about them. They are worth about $100 a piece and they can still be found in circulation although rarely.

Surfin
:thumbsup:

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
surfin said:
groovedymond,

Surfin

I'm not sure where you found this information, but it is incorrect. 1965 silver dimes do indeed exist, but they were created on accident due to silver planchets from 1964 remaining trapped in the nooks and crannies of the mint's equipment. This is a VERY rare error called an "off metal error" and I can almost 100% guarantee that you did not find a 1965 silver dime, let alone 2. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. The clad dimes weigh 2.268 grams, while the silver ones weigh 2.5 grams.

Also, in regards to your value assessment, you are off by quite a bit. A genuine 1965 dime struck on a silver planchet can be worth well over $10,000.

-Paul

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
Accordig to "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change" (2006) there were accidental silver planchets used in 1965, 66, and 67. Just look at the reed edge. Clad will have the tell tale copper color on the edge. The silver ones are all silver. They are wrth big bucks.

John

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Some of those mid 60 dimes will sure catch your eye if you're looking through change AND on some of the metered machines.

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Paul
were did you find the value of 10k? I am positive these are silver and I am going to have them weighed today. There is no clad marks on the edge and they sound exactly like silver coins do and they also have the silver coin patina that clad just doesnt have.

I will get them weighed and let you know and I will find that book. But was the value in that book?

Surfin

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Surfin,

I searched around on the internet for suggested values, as well as searching Heritage Auction Galleries' auction archive. On July 27, 2003, A PCGS AU 58 1965 dime struck on a silver planchet sold for $8,912. I believe that if that coin came up for auction again today, it would most likely sell for around 12-15 thousand dollars. http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=328&Lot_No=9832&src=pr

Then, on January 6th, 2006, an ANACS AU 55 1965 dime on silver planchet sold for $8,625.http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=394&Lot_No=6260&src=pr

As for your dimes having silver edges and looking/sounding silver, it seems for some reason that clad coinage from 1965-1970 always has an odd look to it that makes it appear to be silver.

-Paul

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Had them taken to a jeweler and these babys are silver. I am going to take them to a coin expert on tuesday.

I think if they are that pricey I will set one each aside for each of my boys.

Surfin

I will keep you posted. I still haven gone through all of these yet and if you want a bigger inventory check out "coins gallor" in todays finds.

Falcon

Apr 2, 2008
GA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter
Congrats and I hope you have the real thing there. Counterfeits have been made in the past I hear and cast in real silver. The chinese have been known to counterfeit silver coins and are darn good at it. I believe you will have to get them evaluated by an expert numismatist or one of the top three grading companies, which are PCGS, NGC, or ANACS in order to validate. Good luck :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
dragon6banger said:
could they have been in a silver proof set

The silver proof sets were not started until 1992. Before 1964, the sets were technically silver proof sets, but only because all circulating halves, quarters, and dimes were made of 90% silver. There is no way these dimes came out of a silver proof set. In fact, the proofs of 1964 and before were minted in Philadelphia, not San Fransisco.

I stand by my original assessment, and I am 99.999% sure that these dimes are NOT silver, no matter what the jeweler or the OP says.

-Paul

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Could it be possible that it's plated? Wouldn't be hard to do, but then again weight would make it certain or not.
The last box of dimes I went thru gave me a chrome-plated '64 roosevelt, thought it was some kind of proof coin at first. Also got a gold plated '86 roosevelt.

AMC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread