If you had $200...

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
teh nzectar said:
If you had around $200, what kind of coins would you buy? I'm just wondering because I have a birthday coming up, and I really have no idea what to get! I'm not really looking for gold, more like collectible coins, but any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Buy some reference books first, RedBook,Guide to US Coins, and some coin magazines. If you MUST HAVE, buy a coin that has been graded and certified by, ANACS, PCGS, or NCGS. If you decide coin collecting is not for you the coins will be very easy to sell.
Most shops have a reference book with the mintage ( quanity of each coin) to look at. Buy the low mintage coins (key dates and semi-key dates) and you shouldn't have any problems.
I like Franklin Halfs and Mercury dimes.

sodapoptop

May 13, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Chong2 had a good point in asking if you have a metal detector or not, that may be your biggest and best investment depending how much you like this hobby. Once you have a detector, it is up to you to find oldies and start your own collection. I have been detecting for only 5 months and have already found several semi-key dates worth at least Half of what my detector cost. Had I just taken my $200 and invested in coins, I may see 5-10% increase if I am lucky, or bought the right key date coin. I like knowing that it is up to me now to get out and find those old coins....now depending on where you live...you may be stuck finding what's available in your part of the country. But for the most of us, we at least have good chances of finding Barbers, Mercs, Indians and Wheaties within good reason. East coast people probably have better chances at finding older ones also. Just my thoughts from a fellow newbie. One more note, I personally would not buy any books. The internet has an endless supply of reference places from coin prices to coin specs. I like to to go( http://www.pcgs.com/prices/ )for general values which will give you a ball-park range for about any coin-very handy reference when scoping coins for sale on-line. Lastly, if you do just want to spend that $200 on coins, I personally believe the semi-key wheats and secondly barber dimes are the places to start. Both seem HOT :icon_sunny:right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread