l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like American colonial coins. More importantly, what do you like? Is there a period in history that interests you? Many options, early US, ancients, commemoratives, Civil War era, whatever gets you going. Just be careful, buy from a reputable dealer. Watch out for counterfeit or cleaned coins. Do some research on what you want before you get it.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
getb acoin book and find somethig you like and then look around at prices.. Some of my favorites are the 1878 morgans, 2 cent peices and flying eagle pennies..

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd buy Walking Liberties. Trying to complete my collection of them :thumbsup:

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
If I had $200 and was just starting a coin collection I would use it to start a Type Set. Pick up a nice Type Set Coin Album (the one that shows both sides of the coin) and start filling it with the best coins you can afford. hh blue

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
If I had $200, I go for a semi key coin in the Lincoln cent series. Why? It's the most popular series collected. Value rises faster than most other series. I'd buy the best certified 1924D or 1931S I could find at the price. Then hold on to it for a few years. My opinion for you to consider.

Andy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice 8 reale and there might be a little left over for a couple of low dollar coins.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Coins are getting so popular that it makes it tough on what to get. I loved to get rolls of indian cents and cherry pick. Nothing makes me happier than when I find an error. I have quite a collection too. All were found by me. It makes it mean more than to buy one. You got to have a favorite type coin. Go with that. I am more into a nice BU indian than a roll of indians at this point.

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
prospectorYorkPA said:
If I had $200, I go for a semi key coin in the Lincoln cent series. Why? It's the most popular series collected. Value rises faster than most other series. I'd buy the best certified 1924D or 1931S I could find at the price. Then hold on to it for a few years. My opinion for you to consider.

Andy

I second that... Key date anything in the highest condition affordable will always increase in value fastest.

Indian cents are my favorites also... All I need is a 77 and 09s to complete a set I have been working on since I was 9.

Alan

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geez - look at silver prices right now
bars or eagles are a good bet for me
Brady
Your opinion?

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
If your betting on bullion prices to increase, look at growth in China... China buys most of the metals, so when China slows down, down go metal prices... Look at the exchange rate between the US and Australia in the past few months... At the end of the olympics, the rate was about 1.08 to 1... Now its 1.26 to 1... because Australia's economy is strongly based upon mining.

Rare coins increase in value when metal prices are low...

Alan

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do anything anyone here has told you. I made that mistake when I first started... Don't walk into a coin shop with a wad of cash ready to spend and start buying every coin you see.

Sure coin shops have some nice coins and at a good price. They also have bait and traps. Things that are not such a good deal. Mint sets for example some are great but most lose value. Lots of people don't favor silver rounds or bars so they don't have as much numismatic value.

First get yourself a Redbook, that's the name "RedBook" You can get them at Boarders or other book store. Look around the book a little see whats nice and what is a good price. Don't be scared to bring your Redbook right into the coin shop and check prices.

Look for genuine coins, real coins that were made for circulation. look for ones that are in good shape but not over priced. Buy smart, Buy Slow, Buy offten...

Keep @ it and HH!!

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
I have to disagree with the last post. I've been buying coins for over 50 years. The so called "Red Book" is just a guide........says so right on the cover. By the time the current edition is published, the prices are 6 months old. You really have to see where the current market is. I have never gone wrong buying a "certified" key coin. That means certified by PCGS, NGC or ANACS. I've learned over time to offer one grade less from a dealer for an uncertified coin. Key coins of any series are still the best bet for any kind of investment (your going to keep these for 5 years or more). With that in mind, and everyone is mesmerized with the "Red Book", I only ever offer up to 80 percent for a key coin. I've walked away many times. Here is an example of what I have learned. This is what the Red Book has to say........1970 1931S Lincoln EF was $35.00. 2009 Red Book same coin $110. , Now look at the 1931D, in 1970 in EF it was $7.25, 2009 it's $10.00. Why? The 31S is a key coin. Today you should be able to buy an EF 31S for around $90.00. More people collect the Lincoln cents than any other series there is. Greater demand = higher prices.
Don't buy any coin unless your going to keep it for awhile. Nice to have a nice looking type coin, just they don't appreciate much over time. Bullion coins are tied to the market prices of gold, silver or patinum. By the way, you could have bought a 1877 Indian Cent in 1970 in VF condition for $285.00, today your looking at $2000.00. Of course we didn't have all the grade breakdowns we have now....VF20, VF30 etc. You could have bought a VF in 1970 and today may grade VF30 who knows. Doesn't make sense to by stocks based on 6 month old information, I'm sure that would be agreed upon. Same with coins, you have to have an up to the minute pricing available to you. My goodness as much as I hate it, Coin World is at least up to date on a monthy basis, and NGC provides info on current pricing. PCGS quotes only what PCGS certified coins are selling for, can't use that for raw coins. Most of all get to know your local coin dealer. Become a friend, talk with him. The more he feels your going to be a steady customer, you'll get better deals. I do mean get to know your dealer. I knew a few who ended up in the pokey for not to nice business dealings.
Enough of my ramblings......would like to hear what other think.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I would buy...

...whatever you like! If you like certain coins because they are silver or gold and because it's a wise investment, buy those. But if you like worn, smooth standing liberties or even wheats or indian head cents because they have that character, buy those! My favorite coins to buy when I was younger were key date wheats.

Joe

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
did anyone stop to explain "key" coins? as a beginner i doubt they know what a key is. or a type set.
teh, do you already have a metal detector? if not that should be your first purchase. so find some old virgin sites, dig some old coins, and start your collection around your favorite coin you dug.
my opinion ;)

Coin Seeker

Greenie
Oct 19, 2008
Republic of Texas
Lincoln or Indian cents (You could nab a few semi key dates - 1909-s, 1914-d, 1931-s). I think the price of these are gonna continue to go up, esp, with the upcomming design change in 2009.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would get some Morgan, Silver Eagles, and some Walking Liberty's.

Hope it helps and Happy Birthday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread