CoinStar warning - Will not count or return 43 Cent and "Ikes"

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CoinStar warning - Will not count or return '43 Cent and "Ikes"

1944 Lincoln cents were not made of steel except for perhaps a very few and very valuable pieces. They were made of 95% copper, 5% tin & zinc. Double check your '44s, if steel you have $$$.

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

CoinStar said:
Do I need to sort my coins before using the Coinstar Center?

No. Coinstar accepts any quantity of unsorted coins in your local currency. Coinstar's patented technology allows our processors to filter out foreign coins and other debris. However, these items may not be returned by our processors so it is a good idea to remove such items as Eisenhower silver dollars; 1943 steel pennies; foreign, damaged or sticky coins; pure silver coinage and other debris from your stored coins.

midnight run

Mar 21, 2009

a quote i found about the 1944 steel penny

"Only a couple of these have been authenticated, and are worth over $100,000. However there are many counterfeits out there -- copper pennies that have been zinc plated. Do the magnet test -- a real 1944 steel cent will stick to a magnet. If it passes this test, and has been examined for an altered date (using a strong magnifier), then you would need to get it certified (preferably by PCGS or NGC). "

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoinStar said:
>Eisenhower silver dollars

>pure silver coinage and other debris from your stored coins.
So coinstar thinks IKES are silver???
and classifies pure silver coins as debris???

Also, I thought our coins are 90% not 999 pure

Just goes to show, even a coin handling company doesn't know squat about coins. >:(

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, I'm guessing they are using "Eisenshower silver dollars" incorrectly {Eisenshower or Silver dollars, Eisenhower and Silver dollars}, but, moreover, I'm trying to figure out the mechanics - I'm quessing they are not set up for "large dollars" (no "chute") and treat them all as unreturnable scrap! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions