SuperMarket CoinStar?

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
as mentioned in some earlier posts, i work at a large super market with a coinstar out front that i check all of the time for rejects (never found anything though). just wondering before i do ask, do they send the coins to the federal reserve like banks? can you buy bags from stores unlike banks? i am hoping since i see "older" people dumping change in it everyday, that it is just accepting all silver and that im not just missing it :tongue3:. thanks for any help.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
If they are like the Supermarket Coinstars where I am, the coin does not go to the Fed, it goes to a regional center.

You won't be able to get it; it goes directly into a carrier like Guarda.

It may be culling silver, but people are getting wise and picking up the culls. Also, kids watch the reject slots and swoop down on any free candy.

The only alternative would be to watch for those "old people" and negotiate with them for any rejects. But then they might confuse you with a stalker. They're all paranoid, you know.

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
thanks PileDriver. i already got the okay from the managers/accounting that i can take any money that i want out of my register, as long as i put the same back in. ive been taking in about $50 cash and $5 in change just so i wont have to worry about not having enough, plus, i look out for old bills and cool serial numbers too.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, the coins are picked up by an armored service and transported to a central location for sorting. To be honest the fact that you work in the store, you should ask your boss or whoever would be responsible for the machine, they might know more about it. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, I only know of a lucky few who have been able to get access to coinstar coins.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
You've got a sweet opportunity working off of a register. :icon_pirat:

As money becomes more and more ineffective, people are breaking into coin stashes that they have kept until now.

When the coins are sorted into your coin rack, they are perfect for edge searching!

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Piledriver said:
You've got a sweet opportunity working off of a register. :icon_pirat:

As money becomes more and more ineffective, people are breaking into coin stashes that they have kept until now.

When the coins are sorted into your coin rack, they are perfect for edge searching!

yep ;D
when i run out of the loose ones, i need to open another roll and i just search the edges before i put them in the tray, simple :icon_thumright:
maybe ill find something one of these days..... i have found a few wheaties, but nothing too special yet

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Piledriver said:
If they are like the Supermarket Coinstars where I am, the coin does not go to the Fed, it goes to a regional center.

You won't be able to get it; it goes directly into a carrier like Guarda.

It may be culling silver, but people are getting wise and picking up the culls. Also, kids watch the reject slots and swoop down on any free candy.

The only alternative would be to watch for those "old people" and negotiate with them for any rejects. But then they might confuse you with a stalker. They're all paranoid, you know.

When i see an old person or large coin dump at a TD i often buy the silver at a decent price [ for both of us ] , i do try to be vague on why it is worth more and just tell them its cause its older unless they ask more questions. I wont lie to people but i also wont broadcast what i do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread