Coinstar Hunting!

justr13

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011
So i'm very new to this craze of coin roll hunting and i tried it out a few times with some luck a silver here and there. After awhile i got to thinking of a possible better outcome, I happen to work at a grocery store which has a coin star machine. Lucky for me they let me buy the partially filled bags from the machine, I bought the half-dollar bag which contained $35.50 in face value coins. When I searched the bag I found 1 Franklin, 8 1964's and 14 40%'s!!!!!! I couldn't believe it, the bag had been sitting for a few months and fills very slowly unfortunately but all in all I think it was a great find!

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Don't forget to check the reject tray... I've found some great coins that way... The last time I checked one at the bank, I found a 1935 Canadian nickel....

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I thought a Coinstar coin search should reveal some silver finds plus mint errors.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention, the odd piece of jewelry or semi precious stones found in the reject tray or even below the screen.

Most often, folks come in and just dump their ashtrays or jars of coins, not realizing the other odds and ends that were collected there, too.

bonus2003

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question for you. There is a coinstar at my local giant eagle, how would I go about approaching someone on buying partial bags of the coins? I do not work there is there a number on the machine that you can contact?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
bonus2003 said:
I have a question for you. There is a coinstar at my local giant eagle, how would I go about approaching someone on buying partial bags of the coins? I do not work there is there a number on the machine that you can contact?

I think justr13 is very lucky to get a bag from the machine as I think that the machine is just accesed by Brinks and the store managers can't open it. I saw somewhere on a TV program that there are no bags in the machine, but the coins are packaged in boxes, unless the machine is similar to a Coinstar, but not Coinstar brand. I am not sure though how accurate this still information still is.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Doesn't the Coinstar machines reject silver coins? How did they end up in a bag? I could be wrong, never used one, but see them all over the Wallyworlds.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
WheatbackDigger said:
Doesn't the Coinstar machines reject silver coins? How did they end up in a bag? I could be wrong, never used one, but see them all over the Wallyworlds.

They do reject silver because I have gotten silver coins from the reject tray. However, it may be a machine similar to a coinstar, but not Coinstar brand. This may make the machine take in silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread