Coinstar Jackpot!!

Fmt15

Greenie
Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice! Beats my find yesterday, found a lonely 53 Roosie in a Safeway coinstar :)

OP
OP
C

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
I have also found that sometimes silver dimes get trapped behind the bottom of the plexiglass panel right in front. Bend it in slightly with your shoe and you might find something. I have found at least five this way.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I have found silver under the machinea few times including a 1936-D quarter (semi-key) and always find lots of foreign. I have only gotten 1 silver dime behind the plexiglass. I once gave up a token to get a Canadian dime from inside the plexiglass.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that the Coinstar machine in my store doesn't like silver dimes :dontknow:,I seem to find alot of silver dimes and some silver quarters in the reject tray.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Produce Guy said:
I've noticed that the Coinstar machine in my store doesn't like silver dimes :dontknow:,I seem to find alot of silver dimes and some silver quarters in the reject tray.

Coinstar machines reject silver.

OP
OP
C

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Produce Guy said:

Apparently the general public doesn't like them either, since they leave them behind in the reject tray :laughing9:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
cuttybce said:
Produce Guy said:

Apparently the general public doesn't like them either, since they leave them behind in the reject tray :laughing9:

Most people just leave the rejected coins because they presume that they are fake. I usually find many damaged zincolns and glued together coins.

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
Produce Guy said:

Not a bad way to sort dimes. A bit pricey I guess but considering the time it saves I could see some value there.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Dinero2005 said:
sagittarius98 said:
Produce Guy said:

Not a bad way to sort dimes. A bit pricey I guess but considering the time it saves I could see some value there.

It takes 9.8% of your money. That's $49 per box of halves. However, you can get a gift card and not pay any extra fees.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
Dinero2005 said:
sagittarius98 said:
Produce Guy said:

It takes 9.8% of your money. That's $49 per box of halves. However, you can get a gift card and not pay any extra fees.

Anytime I know I'm up for a sizeable Amazon or Lowes purchase, I pour dimes directly into the CoinStar and choose the fee-free gift card. I've done it twice so far. First time, I got 1 FDR from $175. Second time, 2 FDR's out of $300. Fee free is cool.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
sagittarius98 said:
cuttybce said:
Produce Guy said:

Most people just leave the rejected coins because they presume that they are fake. I usually find many damaged zincolns and glued together coins.

Who would go through the trouble of minting fake dimes. LOL. Whole lot of work for a whole little money. LOL
I've never found silver in a Coinstar machine. Many immigrants round these parts and many of the illegal variety. They seem to want to keep any coin they get their hands on. That's why I don't check Coinstar reject trays but perhaps I should. I just don't find anything every time I've looked.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
sagittarius98 said:
cuttybce said:
Produce Guy said:

Who would go through the trouble of minting fake dimes. LOL. Whole lot of work for a whole little money. LOL
I've never found silver in a Coinstar machine. Many immigrants round these parts and many of the illegal variety. They seem to want to keep any coin they get their hands on. That's why I don't check Coinstar reject trays but perhaps I should. I just don't find anything every time I've looked.

I think a saw a post on here about someone finding a fake clad quarter. It was maybe 3-4 months ago (was only a lurker then).

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently found two clad quarters, nine British coins, and a washer just sitting on top of the coinstar machine. I understand people not checking the reject tray, but someone had to physically move the coins up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread