Coinstar gift cards, no fee to exchange coins?

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't checked it out firsthand yet, but the Coinstar website says that there is no charge for exchanging coins for dollars if you receive a gift card instead of cash. Does this make "dumping" searched coin rolls easier, or am I missing something?
The list of available gift cards includes Amazon.com, Starbucks (that could be a *lot* of cappuccinos or whatever those coffees are called), Home Depot, Best Buy, Toys R Us, and even Southwest Airlines(!)

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't do the CRH thing, but the gift card option wouldn't work for me because, obviously, that money would then be tied up and unavailable for purchasing more coin rolls.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'd probably be a good idea as a way to give your dump banks a break around the holidays or birthdays, if you want to give out giftcards as gifts.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Confirmed.

If you have a big purchase coming up (or regularly spend money) at Amazon, Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Applebees, Chili's, Best Buy, AMC Theater, or others, then coinstar is any easy way to dump.

The coinstar is fast, accurate, and as a side benefit, it rejects silver. I occasionally dump a couple hundred dollars of unsearched, loose dimes in and just let the machine search for AG.

Be careful to read the terms for your gift card though. For example, if you choose a Chili's e-gift, it cannot be for more than $100. If you drop $100.01 in, they immediately print a cash voucher, minus their fee.

OP
OP
StBarbara

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, LooseChange, the fine print. 8-) I'll check that out. Thanks!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Every penny I search goes through the 'ole coinstar. Mostly amazon, occasionally a Chili's or Applebee's. It's a great option when used to your advantage.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The free gift card option is perfect for the occasional or low volume CRHer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread