Finally, a Coinstar find

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally managed to have a Coinstar find today. My wife was buying a lottery ticket and while she did that, I noticed some coins in the reject tray so I scooped them up. She did better than I did. She won $3 on a $2 ticket and I got 2 chewed up Zincolns, a clad dime that was in there for some reason, and an Angel coin. But, it's better than nothing.

Angel.jpg

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got 3 of those a few years back (mine were in a box of quarters), sold 'em all, keep tryin' :laughing7:

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now THAT'S a cool find! :icon_thumleft:

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those in a coinstar find a few weeks ago. Don't know what to do with it or even f it is worth anything to sell...Brad

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't figure that it has any real monetary value, but I guess it can't hurt to have an angel in my pocket.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check ours every time I get groceries. Or my son will check it. Today I walked by and glance in the hole, I noticed there was a whole bunch of coins in the reject tray. I got super excited. Like it's my birthday excited and I'm 12!! No silver. [emoji15]Some foreign coins and $2.74 in change. I guess my big butt was in some guys way though and he couldn't get by with my shopping cart. Asked me if I could move out of his way. I said yes sir soon as I'm done getting all this free change!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found one of those too once. Maybe a sign of good luck, because a few weeks after I found it got 32 walking liberty halves at face value at the supermarket. I saw a 1964 quarter in her tray and told her I collect coins and asked if I could buy it. She told me she has way more cool coins in the service desk cash register that she can't get rid of :). Those were the half dollars, and she got rid of them lol :)

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pretty angel

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't seen much in the little green reject bins these days either. Certainly no silver. Cool angel coin though. HH!

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
As a strange update to this story, a few days ago my grandson went to see one of his great-grandfathers and came back with a little plastic cup full of coins. It was about $2 in modern stuff plus a 1946 silver Canadian quarter, a Marine Corps/Toys for Tots token and 2 more of the angel coins. Where his great-grandfather came up with this mix, who knows?

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on a 5 month cold streak with Coinstar. Found plenty of clad but no silver. With persistence, I used to find the occasional silver, but not anymore. Streaky hobby, I guess.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool coin i have 2 of them from coinstar and i aint no angel

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from the grocery store and on the way out I checked the Coinstar reject tray. I looked in and saw a shiny dime sitting there all alone. I snagged and guessed to myself, "It's got to be a silver." Sure enough, it was a shiny 64 Rosie.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar has been good to me lately. Saturday I gothink about 1.50 in clad plus a 1944S war nickel. Today it had about 50 pennies in it including 3 wheat cents. All common dates.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar silver finds for me come in spurts. I just found a 1942 mercury dime today.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I managed another find at today at the same Coinstar where I found the 64 Rosie. This one was a little stranger. It is a 50 groschen coin dated 1960 from Austria. I need to start going there later in the day to improve my chances of finding anything.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though it is cold and rainy all week I found silver the easy way. My wife and I had to go to Walmart a couple days ago. This is what I do every time we go there. Push my cart out the first set of exit doors and go over to the Coin star machine and pretend to look at my receipt. I will then look in the reject tray near the bottom of the machine. Today I could see something so I quickly reached in and pulled out a 1 peso from the Philippines and a 1964 dime and a 1951 quarter. I put them in my pocket and did not look at them till I got to the car. My wife thinks it is dumb until I told here that they are worth $4.50 in silver. I will add them to my stash.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even pretend to be doing something else anymore. I just walk right up and stick my hand in the reject tray. Make sure you look in the basket too. I have found coins left in their too. I have even found a mercury dime once under the machine

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
My Coinstar was teasing me today. I went by and scooped up 2 little shinys and a penny. One of the shinys even had a nice shiny edge. I got to my car and found that my take for the day was a crusty Zincoln, a 1985 Rosie that got kicked out for some reason, and my shiny with the shiny edge........a 1970 something Canadian dime. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread