ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad state of affairs when a son does that to his father.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure he's not the only one who's ever done it.

OP
OP
SeabeeRon

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drug addiction part of the story is indeed very sad.

I was more wanting to focus on coins we just grab from those coin return slots. I have never felt guilty about coins left behind in them, but by the strict "Rule of Law" we are thieves for keeping them! (Don't worry, I may not lose any sleep over my "found" clad!)

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
At first I felt really bad for the dad, and angry at the kid. After giving it a little thought, I actually feel really bad for the kid, for getting in to this sad situation, and having to steal from his own family to support his addiction. I bet he never expected that he would turn out like this when he first did crack. It is crazy what addiction can do to people!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The drug addiction part of the story is indeed very sad.

I was more wanting to focus on coins we just grab from those coin return slots. I have never felt guilty about coins left behind in them, but by the strict "Rule of Law" we are thieves for keeping them! (Don't worry, I may not lose any sleep over my "found" clad!)

I still have to wonder about that law. If the machine rejects the coins (for WHATEVER reason), and the person who dumped them refuses the coins (walking away is considered abandonment, right?), then just who WOULD they belong to - the store?? The person who empties the machine? The next customer who happens along and finds coins in the return slot?

Who "exactly" has ownership, or does it depend on the area/state?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have to wonder about that law. If the machine rejects the coins (for WHATEVER reason), and the person who dumped them refuses the coins (walking away is considered abandonment, right?), then just who WOULD they belong to - the store?? The person who empties the machine? The next customer who happens along and finds coins in the return slot?

Who "exactly" has ownership, or does it depend on the area/state?

Dont know but I have had Walmart clerks point out the leftovers to me, and store clerks watch as I scooped $23 worth of left coins into a plastic bag, so I doubt anybody cares. My Avatar picture by the way is a civil war token coin found in a reject slot a couple months ago.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the first time I've heard of this happening..........the emotions of the victims are unique........they are extremely angry, but still have parental love for their addicted children............very sad...........

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Yesterday I stopped in at a local grocery store, and on the way out, for some reason I looked over at the machine. Walked over and scooped out 17 clad quarters, all like they were brand spanking new. Coinstars rejecting mint state coins?

I'd only hit that coinstar three times in the past two years, retrieved a Middle Eastern coin once. So usually I ignored the curiosity. Those quarters mean I'll be paying better attention in the future.

Which overall adds to my curiosity. It is apparently rejecting mint state coins?

Edit: I only hit it 3 times because I was shy about doing it. Acceptable? My question leans with Susans!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....then just who WOULD they belong to - the store?? The person who empties the machine? The next customer who happens along and finds coins in the return slot?....

Excellent question. I'll betcha that legally, the items in a store, belong to the store. It would be the same legal question as if you tried to say that you "found" coins in the cash register. It's private property afterall !

Thus shame on you to anyone who's ever pulled coins from the reject tray. Tsk tsk.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent question. I'll betcha that legally, the items in a store, belong to the store. It would be the same legal question as if you tried to say that you "found" coins in the cash register. It's private property afterall !

Thus shame on you to anyone who's ever pulled coins from the reject tray. Tsk tsk.

In a store, the cash registers "belong" to the store, and are operated by the employees. I have heard that a store employee may also service some coin machines, but the store doesn't "own" them. Just like the soda and gumball machines, they are usually owned by some independent vendor. So, if the vendor isn't there and makes no plans for abandoned coinage, and if the store doesn't own the machines, and if the person who dumped the coins doesn't claim them, then in MY very limited capacity, I would assume they are first-come, first-serve ownership.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sad story but this story is now everywhere and drugs have become the norm cause our world is getting worse. They do this to escape todays life for whatever reason. Pray if you must but times are getting worse.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
At first I felt really bad for the dad, and angry at the kid. After giving it a little thought, I actually feel really bad for the kid, for getting in to this sad situation, and having to steal from his own family to support his addiction. I bet he never expected that he would turn out like this when he first did crack. It is crazy what addiction can do to people!

The thing is, from reading the article, the "kid" was 53.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont know but I have had Walmart clerks point out the leftovers to me, and store clerks watch as I scooped $23 worth of left coins into a plastic bag, so I doubt anybody cares. My Avatar picture by the way is a civil war token coin found in a reject slot a couple months ago.

yellow flag on the field!

your reject tray must be waaaaaaay bigger than the one I see

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is the machine here different?
mine has the reject thingy in the front - hard not to see it

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In a store, the cash registers "belong" to the store, and are operated by the employees. I have heard that a store employee may also service some coin machines, but the store doesn't "own" them. Just like the soda and gumball machines, they are usually owned by some independent vendor....

Hmmm, ok, good point. Even though the machine belongs to the independent vendor, yet there must be some sort of legal subrogation for the management/franchise of the property to whom it sits on. For example, if the machine jams, guess who comes over to open it up and un-jam it ? A store employee (not the coin-star rep. employee). So that tells me that even though the machine is owned by someone else, yet they've got some sort of legal agreement of usage or staffing or something. Right ?

But even if we deduce that the machine, and the contents anywhere on/in it (the return tray, or wherever) belong to the vendor, not the store, then the problem still remains: You would merely be taking that independent vendor's property, right ? So no matter how you slice it, still not your property ?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the coin collector. I hope that his son is getting treatment. I love these machines. One day in Walmart, I had found about 3 dollars in quarters and other coins and a bus token. I look into these machines most of the time. These coins are abandoned property. Yes, Tom, the coins belong to the finder. Good hunting and good luck.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yellow flag on the field!

your reject tray must be waaaaaaay bigger than the one I see

The $23 came from a bank coin counting machine located inside a grocery store. Unlike coin star machines, it had a little plastic door that you had to push in to see if there was anything there. Usually you'd reach in and get a finger full of lint or worse but this time the tray and chute going up was loaded with coins. Grabbed a handful and they just started to tumble onto the floor. I quick grabbed a bag from the checkout line and started emptying the reject tray. It wasn't exactly a stealth activity, some gentleman stopped to help me pick up the ones that spilled on the floor and I know more than one person was watching. a very fun/strange experience. A few months later they took this particular machine out and replaced it with one with an open tray. This was the machine I found my great civil war cent in this last summer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread