A Good Coinstar Day

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my local Wal-Mart for some packing supplies and checked the Coinstar machine. $2.66 in change, including a 1948 silver dime. I went back again for groceries and found another $1.92, plus sixteen foreign coins:

--2 10 pesos from Chile
--1 quarter-dinar and 1 5 piasters from Jordan
--Euro coins: 1 5-cent from Italy, 1 20-cent from Latvia, and 1 50-cent from Portugal.
--1 2 rand (South Africa)
--3 20 pence (UK) and 1 1967 British penny (large size)
--From Canada: 1 nickel, 1 dime, and 1 quarter
--1 5 centavos from Brazil

Rather than wait in line for an hour, I left Wal-Mart and went to my regular grocery store. The Coinstar reject tray had just one coin--a 1964-D silver dime. That's six silver dimes so far this year.

Before today, I hadn't found anything in weeks. But persistence pays!

20170513_224737.jpg 20170513_225317.jpg

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, every time I peek into a Coinstar machine at our local Walmart, it looks like it has been licked clean. Sub8-)

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I have found some coinstar change lately, nothing great, no silver. Just some clad and a couple of Canadian coins. I always feel weird grabbing up the change in the reject tray. The coinstar is always right by the customer service desk, and I feel like they are watching me walk up, grab the change, and walk off. I try to be subtle, but always feel like I'm doing something wrong when the people are standing there watching me... lol

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. I have found some coinstar change lately, nothing great, no silver. Just some clad and a couple of Canadian coins. I always feel weird grabbing up the change in the reject tray. The coinstar is always right by the customer service desk, and I feel like they are watching me walk up, grab the change, and walk off. I try to be subtle, but always feel like I'm doing something wrong when the people are standing there watching me... lol

That would be a great job to have, working the customer service desk. You can see the machine and see when people leave stuff in it. But then again, you actually have to work the desk and deal with the public. Not my favorite.

OP
OP
N

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I see a handful of change in there, I'll put aside the silver and foreign coins (or wheats and pre-1982 coppers) and run the rest through the machine the way the customer intended, then redeem the cash voucher. They make a little more, and I make a little more. If it's just one 1964 dime, then no charge for the silver removal service.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, every time I peek into a Coinstar machine at our local Walmart, it looks like it has been licked clean. Sub8-)

Oh, I wish mine looked like they had been cleaned - in any manner. Bits of unidentifiable stuff, animal, vegetable or mineral hang out in those I frequent, requiring hand sanitizer after a pickup. The machine I had the most success with was a non Coinstar that had a little flap door over the reject bin so that you needed to reach in sight unseen and finger around for the coins. Some very unpleasant outcomes requiring a double wash with soap and hot water came out of that.

And, by the way my Avarar pic of an 1863 civil war penny/token came out of reject tray.

Last edited:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the coinstar goodness.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
pre 1968 Canadian dimes and quarters contain silver..

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cha Ching, Score! Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool Coin star finds! :occasion14:

I checked twice today; only a wheat cent and two crusty zincs :BangHead:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish there was a separate line in Profile to put coinstar finds just to see how much we all end up with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread