188 coin spill at my local Coinstar! What is wrong with these machines?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the Coinstar machines as soon as I enter my local grocery store. The reject bin was empty on one machine, but the other one was backed up the chute with coins! I was grabbing them like crazy and shoving them into my pockets! I ended up with 188 coins for a total of $37.90! What a haul!

Now I have two obvious questions here. Why did the machine reject perfectly good coins? More importantly, who's the moron who left 188 coins in the reject bin? DUH! Check the bin, dude!

The haul included a 1946 Rosie and a key date 1939 S Jefferson nickel! Also included was 59 older Washington quarters, 50 state quarters, 32 America the Beautiful quarters, 41 nickels and 6 dimes! Zero pennies, though. Weird!

None of these coins are really dirty, damaged or sticky. Why the heck did the machine reject all these coins? I have to wonder if the person who did it got ripped off or if Coinstar lost out on the deal. Don't really care! They're all mine now! LOL!

DSC06917.JPG DSC06919.JPG DSC06916.JPG DSC06914.JPG DSC06915.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Machine counter is out of balance, and it may not have dumped the load until after the poor person left. Hell, I blame the Russians!

Great Score! :hello2:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy haul! I see the bin on the front and below/ Is there another bin on these animals?

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I never found that much when I look in the reject bin. I would've bought a case of beer with all that clad.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a penny one time.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your second question, but its those morons who help us enjoy in an aspect of our hobby ! Great haul.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy haul! I see the bin on the front and below/ Is there another bin on these animals

They were all in the lower front bin. You'd think they'd spill out onto the floor, but they don't. They just back up into the machine's chute.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a penny one time

That's my usual "haul" as well. A few sticky and grungy pennies. Timing is everything with these machines. When I was leaving the store 15 minutes later, there was a woman dumping all her pennies. I'm sure she would have checked the bin after she was done and those coins would have been hers and not mine.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine counter is out of balance, and it may not have dumped the load until after the poor person left. Hell, I blame the Russians!

That's probably what happened. I would think that most people check the reject tray after they're done. I believe the machine even posts a message on the screen to check the tray before leaving.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCORE!!!!!:icon_thumright: Man, the Coinstars have been stingy for me lately (or someone else has beat me to them, was that you Tim?) Their loss is your gain and who knows but that machine bears watching at least if close enough by, hit it again a couple of times to see if there are any more back ups or not.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess with that big of a haul is the internal bin that holds 600 pounds of coins was full! Today, I finally found something in the tray. Clad quarter, clad dime, Canadian dime and two zincolns. No Silver though. Thinking it rejected the Canadian dime and the other coins followed it down the chute, who knows?

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! I used a payphone back in the late 80's. Put a dime in and then the thing sounded like a slot machine hitting the jackpot. About $5 in change dumped out!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang and I thought I did well when I got 17 coins,many foreign. Great timing on your part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions