Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went in to check a coinstar after leaving the bank and there are two ancient little ladies unrolling and feeding it quarters. I hear the ping ping ping of multiple silver quarters. It must have been a whole roll of them the way they were hitting the reject chute. I explained I was waiting for the machine and held up a roll of dimes to put them at ease. I explained I would be happy to buy the coins the machine was not taking. I Explained I am a coin collector and I would give them more than the machine will.
As I am talking they keep shoveling the silver and canadians back through, back through and there actually are becoming less of them. I guess if you keep at it long enough it will eventually eat the silver coins. At the end they had only about ten silver quarters and three Canadian quarters left. I was laughing and crying in exasperation all at once. i had told them I'd give them a dollar for each quarter and one lady thought about it until her friend whispered in her ear and must have explained that I was the white devil. At this point I had backed off about fifty feet so I wouldn't get booted from the store and they still eyed me suspiciously. They triple checked the reject tray and printed their ticket and walked back to where I was in the back and watched me like two hawks as I approached the machine. I pressed a few buttons, glanced into the super empty reject chute, checked the empty top tray and they were still hawking me from the same spot. They just kept watching for several minutes so I waved and walked out. People are so weird. I realize they thought I must be scamming them but a dollar for a quarter you are only getting $0.22 cents for, hmmm.

Next experience- I am in walmart and theres a foreign guy and girl using the machine. The coins are in the reject chute. I am mesmerized watching from a safe distance. They print the ticket and walk to the line but the line is right by the coinstar so I continue to wait. I have been scooped in this situation so often I will retrieve the coins, ask the person if they want them and negotiate. I figure it looks better that way. Any rate I am planning my move and the girl gets out of line, returns to the coinstar and scoops up the coins! Dang. I go over and explain I am a collector and would like to buy the coins. She acts like she doesn't understand so I give it to her in my broken Spanish. Nope, not Spanish. She points to the guy in line whos just gotten paid on the ticket and he joins us. I see multiple silver dimes, a 64 Kennedy and some other questionable and foreign coins. I tell the guy I would like to make him an offer on some of the coins and point at the Kennedy. He starts picking out the silver Roosevelts and saying, " I was a coin dealer, these are worth $2.75."
I play dumb even though I just went to a coin shop and paid $1.18 for some decent Mercury dimes.
"How about this one? Is it silver?" I ask pointing at the 64 Kennedy.
"No, thats just a half dollar."
"I'll give you a dollar for it."
This guy must have lost his shirt as a coin dealer lol. He makes the trade so I begin negotiations for the dimes. I only have one single left and he repeats the $2.75!
Where is he getting these numbers?
" I only have a dollar left. Can I have it?"
He gives me one more dime. People are so weird. Me being one of them. I just love how as soon as you act interested the same coin they were hoping to get less than face for becomes infinitely valuable. I don't condone hassling people like this and I usually leave since it takes so long for people to dump but when I hear the silver clinking I can't walk away. Even standing back a respectable distance I've been scooped by less scrupulous shoppers and bag boys who swoop in before the person has even turned around all the way!

I wish I owned a coinstar. They collect all the big dollar coins internally and don't even pay you for them. The tech told me they get shipped to corporate. Imagine their collection! I noticed he had silver and clad halves, quarters etc and foreign coins in his " test cup" with which he calibrates the machine. It was very interesting chatting with him as he calibrated the machine. He assured me that it rejects all silver ( except corporates silver dollars lol) . After watching the little old ladies I'll say it tries but will eventually eat some of it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a story! Too bad you couldn't convince the ladies you actually trying to get them more than the coinstar. First time I heard a coinstar actually taking silver unless it actually ended up in the internal dirt cup. That's how I would calibrate a coinstar.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
People are weird. I don't bother to try anymore. Had a very similar occurrence at a Coinstar in Walmart. Two old duffer's were feeding cents into the machine and I tried to tell them I'd pay them double face for wheats but they were so hard of hearing they just ignored me. Their loss. If it's a foreigner, unless they are Hispanic, (I speak decent Spanish) I won't bother trying to tell them. 2.75 for a Silver Dime that he was putting in the coinstar. Wow. Thanks for sharing OP.

My sister got lucky and hit it big on the coinstar last week. 4 Silver Quarters (all older) a Silver Dime, and a 40% Silver half along with a bunch of foreign coins and tokens. She got over an ounce of Silver for free.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread