Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is unbelievable the amount of ignorance that exists within the general public concerning our own coinage! Oh, well...knowledge is power they say.
Congrats on the best Coinstar score I've ever heard of!

Definitely agree, DenDigger. I try to take unusual coins to the banks that save things for me and show them some of the older coins they may come across. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Gonna have to jam that machine more often!! Sadly, all the Rosies were clad.............

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, those pesky 100 year old foreign coins! You had a day like me when the teller handed me $12.50 in 40% Kennedys.

LOL.....I've had trouble spending Kennedy halves. The kids look at 'em a couple of times and then ask. I just tell them to read the coin.
Bet you had a big smile when you walked away with those 40%ers!!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Nice score - I went in to dump half dollars at a credit union a while back - before i put my coins in , I noticed there was a big fat silver coin stuck in the rotator - 1921 Morgan Dollar ! Who dumps Silver Dollars into a coin counter ??

Nice, Argentium!! Yeah, "who" indeed!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never look at a coin star the same again lol Sweeeeeeet

Thanks, Tommy.......I may offer to stop every couple of weeks to retrieve the contents of the cleanout trap and save the store employees an ugly unwanted task!!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tommy.......I may offer to stop every couple of weeks to retrieve the contents of the cleanout trap and save the store employees an ugly unwanted task!!

That would be a kind offer! Do you wonder how often such coins are just tossed in the trash? I check the small trash cans that sit beside the bank coin machine and found a Barber dime along with a handful of foreign coins. I believe the coinstars are an even better source due to the more uninformed users of those machines.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omg what a score . Congrats

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, lest I forget, thank you to the moderators for moving this thread to the correct location........I think I can find my way back here, now!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the best coinstar find I have seen to date!
Congratulations

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a BANNER Coinstar Score!!!!!!:occasion14::hello2::headbang::notworthy:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best coinstar find I have ever seen. Man, they must have been hard up for money or not too bright in terms of coins.

Other question not to diminish your find in any way, but has anyone ever found a gold coin in coinstar?

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a BANNER Coinstar Score!!!!!!:occasion14::hello2::headbang::notworthy:

LOL.....Thanks, Terry. My wife was shopping, had finished and was standing behind me as I dug out the silvers. I glanced back and she had that "Why are you embarrassing me" look on her face. Knowing her, you can certainly appreciate the looks I got from her!! We went to the customer service desk to get the proceeds from the machine and I showed her a few of the silvers while we were standing in line.......I'll never forget how wide her eyes got!!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best coinstar find I have ever seen. Man, they must have been hard up for money or not too bright in terms of coins.

Other question not to diminish your find in any way, but has anyone ever found a gold coin in coinstar?

I tend to agree with Swaveab.....probably a collection or part of one that the perpetrator was afraid to pawn. The 14 Barbers were all from 1910 to 1912.......I would have expected a wider range of dates, considering that the 1861 was mixed in.

Last edited:

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once walked up to a guy at the coinstar and just asked him if the machine kicked out any coins and he points to a small pile on the counter, I immediately see the glimmer of a gold coin but half expected it to be a modern foreign coin. So I asked if I could look thru the coins and flip over the gold coin to see a date of 1890, I says this coin looks cool...can I have it?? He says sure have fun! 20190115_161955.jpg 20190115_162025~2.jpg

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once walked up to a guy at the coinstar and just asked him if the machine kicked out any coins and he points to a small pile on the counter, I immediately see the glimmer of a gold coin but half expected it to be a modern foreign coin. So I asked if I could look thru the coins and flip over the gold coin to see a date of 1890, I says this coin looks cool...can I have it?? He says sure have fun! View attachment 1671386 View attachment 1671387

Dang, now that is amazing!! Nice score!!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally had a chance to get this to my jeweler.........

2019 01 04 Coinstar 2.jpg

Although he did not recognize the hallmarks, he did confirm that it is silver.......that Coinstar score just keeps on giving!!

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent score. My best is eight silvers in about five bucks from the reject slot. Around here we figure its mostly drug addicts swiping grandparents coins for cigarette money. Although the machine at my credit union is a reliable source of foreign coins. I'm sending the foreign coins to my buddy's club leader for the kids hunt at this years picnic.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They tossed a 120+ year old seated half dime in with their pocket change!? Awesome recovery, glad you saved this stuff! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread