cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday when I went to my local (and only) wallyworld I saw 2 or 3 people huddled around the coinstar machine pouring in coins. I made a mental not to be sure to check it out when I left.

On my way out I nonchilantly slowed down as I left and saw what looked like many coins in the reject bin. It took two scoops to get all the coins and a 3rd to double check.

everything was plain old clad (only $1.86) but there was one coin that just looked silver but without my loupe I could only tell it was not USA.
here is a link to the coin. $1.89 in silver and if it didn't have a hole in the top could probably get $5-10 on feeBay. Here is link to nice example.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...-cents-km-17.2-1937-cuid-1119090-duid-1269477

Attachments

• 20190217_091854.jpg
    20190217_091854.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 214

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used a lot by Hmong people in traditional costume. There are a lot of fakes, unfortunately. But they may still be silver.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a haul!!!! Congratulations!!!:headbang::hello2:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used a lot by Hmong people in traditional costume. There are a lot of fakes, unfortunately. But they may still be silver.

That completely explains why I found it here. The people huddled around the machine were asian, but not chinese, korean or japanese. There is a large Hmong population in this county. The older couple were only in early 30's or so. Hmung left Laos in 1975 so they were probably kids or grandkids of the refugees getting rid of grandpas silver.

I just picked it up and it slipped out of my fingers and hit the desktop with a thud and not a silver ring. So I weighed it, should be 5.4 gr. Guess what it weighs 3.3 gr.

You know what that means. Grandpa brought over a FAKE!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this got moved to it's own forum. Didn't even know it existed. Now another forum to bookmark and check regularilly.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That completely explains why I found it here. The people huddled around the machine were asian, but not chinese, korean or japanese. There is a large Hmong population in this county. The older couple were only in early 30's or so. Hmung left Laos in 1975 so they were probably kids or grandkids of the refugees getting rid of grandpas silver.

I just picked it up and it slipped out of my fingers and hit the desktop with a thud and not a silver ring. So I weighed it, should be 5.4 gr. Guess what it weighs 3.3 gr.

You know what that means. Grandpa brought over a FAKE!
At least it didn't cost you anything. It might be a magnesium alloy.

I intentionally bought 9 fake Morgan and Peace dollars that a friend got at a flea market, thinking he got a super deal. He paid $15 each for 8 "CC Morgans" and 2 "clashed Peace 1$" that had a circulated look to them.
The seller he bought from had the 2x2 cardboard flips in two rows of plastic from a three ring binder and taped so they couldn't be removed. Most portable scales can't weigh ten 1$ dollar coins. They weren't magnetic and magnesium has an "aged silver" look to it.

I realized they were fake because the same reverse die was used on all the "Morgans".
1878, 1881, 1884, 1886, 1893 & 1902 absolutely will not have the same reverse die defects. Most noticeable was two diagonal die gouges near the L's of DOLLAR.

The two Peace dollars had the dies made to imitate a very strong die clash.
Real clashes show up on the field of the coin, usually around the raised devices, not on the highest parts of the coin (which is the deepest part of the die).

When I opened the holders and weighed them, the diameter was ok but the weight was only 18-19 grams. They should have been 26-27 grams. I'm guessing this is why the original seller had them taped together, to keep people from weighing them individually.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it didn't cost you anything. It might be a magnesium alloy.

I intentionally bought 9 fake Morgan and Peace dollars that a friend got at a flea market, thinking he got a super deal. He paid $15 each for 8 "CC Morgans" and 2 "clashed Peace 1$" that had a circulated look to them.

I will have to check with a magnet tonight. My scale told the truth though. I once spotted some fake silver dollars at a flea market. I secretly use my magnet and they failed the test. I told the owner they were fake and we got in an argument. I showed him my magnet trick and left.

UPDATE 2-20-19: not attracted to my magnet.

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul and nice silver coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread