First time

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't always, but I do check the Coinstar at the local grocery store. Today when I went in and I did check and nothing, went about my shopping and when I coming down the aisle that has a view of the Coinstar there is a man with two pickle jars full of coins dumping them in. It is right near the customer service desk and I just stood there waiting. The customer service girl asked if I needed something and I told her I needed the guy at the Coinstar machine to hurry up. She asked why and I told her I wanted to check the reject cup and she said that it looks like it would take this guy sometime to finish, she asked if she could watch with me since its not busy. We just chitchatted till he was done. He had $458 and some change, and I told her I hope he doesn't reach down for the reject cup....and......he does and puts them in his pocket. She commiserates with me and I say no big deal. I finish my shopping, on the way out, she is at the machine changing the bags because it is full. She calls me over and says that she was just gonna come find me, she tells me to hold out my hand and dumps a cup in my hand. I tell her how much I appreciate her help and pocket the change. End result
coinstar1.jpg

The 1990 Penny is as big as a nickel, anyone know what is up with that?
bigpenny.jpg

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw a penny that size before, congrats on the nice selection of coins.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably what's known as a"Texas" cent. Was hammered to remove copper plating.

OP
OP
Machkin

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Texas cent it is. Thanks enamel7 never woulda thought of that. The weight of it is 2.46 grams.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably what's known as a"Texas" cent. Was hammered to remove copper plating.

Thx very much for this, enamel. I've found two of these recently and had no idea what to make of them.

When you say "hammered", do you have more info on that? I'm curious why the coin isn't flattened or otherwise destroyed in the process.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A "Texas Cent" is a (Copper or Copper Plated Zinc) Lincoln Cent that is either hammered or squeezed (in a Vice) between two pieces of leather to expand the metal outwards without damaging the details (images), lettering, Date and Mint Mark. The leather protects the details, lettering, Date and Mint Mark as it absorbs much of the pressure exerted on the metal of the coin.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice snag, it was very nice that the lady hooked you up. I have never heard of a "Texas Cent" dang you learn so much on this site!!

OP
OP
Machkin

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for future referencing

20190322_143917.jpg

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul from the Coinstar…….the guy that cashed in $458 took about a $46 beating. That's a lot to lose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread