I don't get it

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
There are 3 on the way from my one office to the other. I check a coinstar about 5 times a week. I get crusty coins and every once in a while a silver dime or something exciting. I don't check it unless I have a reason to go in the store. I see people checking the tray all the time. Its just luck but its easier than trying to dig up a silver coin at your local park.

But not nearly as fun!

Keep looking and one day you'll be pleasantly surprised. Don't forget to look in the basket and behind the handle as well as laying next to the basket. I have found stuff in all these areas. I also had to use a new unsharpened pencil with double sided tape on the end to retrieve and sterling box chain necklace from below the basket. You go through a hole in the bottom of the basket) Others, I've read on this site, have retrieved gold earrings.

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But not nearly as fun!

Keep looking and one day you'll be pleasantly surprised. Don't forget to look in the basket and behind the handle as well as laying next to the basket. I have found stuff in all these areas. I also had to use a new unsharpened pencil with double sided tape on the end to retrieve and sterling box chain necklace from below the basket. You go through a hole in the bottom of the basket) Others, I've read on this site, have retrieved gold earrings.

Thank you for this. I thought I had reached expert level. Now, I know the truth. And will keep a pencil and double stick tape in the car.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it’s easy to understand. Most folks dump a load of coins making a continuous loud clanking and as such, they do not hear the dropping of the rejects. Nor do many of them even realize that there is a reject tray. I was skeptical as well, but on my first attempt, a Silver Roosevelt and two nice foreign coins. For some reason, I have also found several clad coins rejected. Sometimes just a slight nick on a coin will cause a reject. It’s an interesting phenomenon, but always worth the look. Keep looking.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s because they are there for the paper receipt. No one uses paper money or coinage anymore, so they have no clue as to what to do with it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of PA has some very good points. I NEVER make a special trip to get to a coinstar machine. If there is one there, I look at it. I would never consider a special trip to check out a coinstar. Most times when I CRH it's on the way to somewhere else. Very, very few specials trips!

Exactly the same here. I usually have a long list of stops. If there happens to be a coinstar, I always look at the reject tray.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree how do they not know lol

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's true there is usually nothing but once in a blue moon someone dumps their jar of coins and just doesn’t seem to care about left overs....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread