I don't get it

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get this coinstar thing. This forum peaked my curiosity and I started looking at the two machines in my locality.

The reject trays on these machines are right in front of the machine. How is it people fail to hear or see the coins falling into it?

When I first saw this forum I thought they must be on the sides where someone might not be aware of rejects but that is not the case. Are some machines different?

I started looking at them when I go to the stores but so far only once found a piece of lint

I am really confused by this, but thankfully have not yet lost any sleep over it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found a few coins over the years. One was a silver Roosevelt dime. Other stuff was junk foreign coins.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, 99% of the time there is nothing there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha, no idea why people don’t notice, or ignore, the rejects. But they do!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
tn_coinstar.gif
t_l.gif

LOOKING FORWARD TO POSTING
YOUR
VERY FIRST RECOVERY!

Here is my CoinStar Surfing Log!

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 99% I may have a better chance of getting in an accident on the way there than find anything. So I will stop making special trips and just check when I happen to be there. However, I live in the land of over the top bloodsucking lawyers (Southern, Florida) so if I get killed enroute I will have my wife drop some silver in the machine as a memorial tribute.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure the Noise of the Machine Counting Downs out people Hearing the Coins
landing in the Return slot.

in some cases people send their kid to Count the coins while they Shop.

Some kids enjoy that so Much They don't know about Rejects.

Also if there are allot of Rejects, a person may reach in grab a Handful & Not Double dip
& search if they missed 1 or 3. Most I ever found was 15 Cents. a brand new Dime & Nickle

Last time I Used it, I Had very Dirty coins, and started Shoving them Through & Stalled the Machine.

The Lady Come over got it working again, Handed me a Receipt for what I already Had,
And told me to Continue.

I Grabbed a Handful out the Reject and Continued Feeding some fell on the floor, I Grabbed what I saw,
And eventually Jammed the Machine again :tongue3:

Called her over again, another fix another Receipt, Apologized and Asked if I Should give up.

No she said, Try again so I Did, Again Grabbed a Handfull out the Reject Spilling some on the Floor & Mixing with what I Had yet, Jammed it a 3rd Time. :laughing7: after That I Gave up .

She said the Machines are set up that after a certain amount of Dirt They shut down till The
dirt Collection Tray is empty.

but I'm sure I left some coins there out of frustration and sloppiness

Either Way, I Don't feel Bad about Giving them Dirt, really, Considering what the Machines Steal,
I Just felt bad making the Lady keep Working on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure the Noise of the Machine Counting Downs out people Hearing the Coins
landing in the Return slot.

in some cases people send their kid to Count the coins while they Shop.

Some kids enjoy that so Much They don't know about Rejects.

Also if there are allot of Rejects, a person may reach in grab a Handful & Not Double dip
& search if they missed 1 or 3. Most I ever found was 15 Cents. a brand new Dime & Nickle

Last time I Used it, I Had very Dirty coins, and started Shoving them Through & Stalled the Machine.

The Lady Come over got it working again, Handed me a Receipt for what I already Had,
And told me to Continue.

I Grabbed a Handful out the Reject and Continued Feeding some fell on the floor, I Grabbed what I saw,
And eventually Jammed the Machine again :tongue3:

Called her over again, another fix another Receipt, Apologized and Asked if I Should give up.

No she said, Try again so I Did, Again Grabbed a Handfull out the Reject Spilling some on the Floor & Mixing with what I Had yet, Jammed it a 3rd Time. :laughing7: after That I Gave up .

She said the Machines are set up that after a certain amount of Dirt They shut down till The
dirt Collection Tray is empty.

but I'm sure I left some coins there out of frustration and sloppiness

Either Way, I Don't feel Bad about Giving them Dirt, really, Considering what the Machines Steal,
I Just felt bad making the Lady keep Working on it.

Maybe we are from the same town and that was the day I found the lint. The only problem I have with your kid theory is that they are lower to the ground and likely facing the reject slot at eye level. Many kids are ignorant though so there always that. I was pretty dumb as a child. I cut up grandma's proof sets to play space invaders when it first came out. Who knows

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I check the ones at my local Wal mart and Kroger in another village. I'm believing the Wal mart store gets checked by employees everyday. The Kroger store is a sometime thing. Last 3 months no luck. Good luck to all

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found silver in the corner of the dump basket, and behind the handle where people get careless dumping their coins. Many, many people are not even aware of the reject tray. It depends on the user. If its a soccer mom just dumping coins then she probably won't notice the rejects. If it is a poor person, they are going to see it every time. :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of PA has some very good points. I NEVER make a special trip to get to a coinstar machine. If there is one there, I look at it. I would never consider a special trip to check out a coinstar. Most times when I CRH it's on the way to somewhere else. Very, very few specials trips!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I check every time I go, it's been over a year since I found anything. BUT, but but but! One time there were 14 quarters in the tray. Usually only a penny or two.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 on the way from my one office to the other. I check a coinstar about 5 times a week. I get crusty coins and every once in a while a silver dime or something exciting. I don't check it unless I have a reason to go in the store. I see people checking the tray all the time. Its just luck but its easier than trying to dig up a silver coin at your local park.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just check 'em when you see 'em. Once in a while you might be pleasantly surprised. I found a 1963 Roosevelt dime a couple of months ago in the one I check once in while. It's hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Oh, and I dropped the dime between the seats of my car and haven't re-found it yet.:laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found mulitple silver not just in the reject tray, but even sitting on the top where they probably put the coin thru and was tired of it being rejected.

I dont think its about them not knowing coins are being rejected. It's about them not caring or having any knowledge about coins as we do.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the wives send the kids to seed the machines right before they check out so when the hubby checks wow coins and a silver dime she bought for a dollar at the local coin shop , now the husband goes with them shopping every time like clock work lol.

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One time I used the machine and it was not even the correct amount counted,I know because I counted it before I used the coinstar,went and told them and the next time I used it it was right on the money.

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the wives send the kids to seed the machines right before they check out so when the hubby checks wow coins and a silver dime she bought for a dollar at the local coin shop , now the husband goes with them shopping every time like clock work lol.

Only problem with that is this. In order for that to happen the kids would have to do as they were told and the wife would have to fork over the money in advance to trick her husband. These are not likely. At least in my world

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I hear ya I remember my first Morgan silver dollar that thing was not even a half inch deep I pulled it up and started looking around for the kids thinking they seeded it to keep me out of the house so they didnt have to do their chores lol I could see that happening then they take a video and put it on facebook.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread