CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have just reached the level of a coinstar Pro. I'm sure you've seen the thread about it but I think you could save yourself some time by befriending a kid who works there and getting access to the machine! I check the one at my local stop and shop and once in awhile I'll get something cool out of it. A couple weeks ago I snagged a 52 quarter and some foreign coins. Those foreign coins go to my 5 month old son's coin collection. Strangely the next day I went detecting and dug a 52 Washington. What are the odds of that? A zillion to one? Haha. Congrats on the amazing find though!

Thanks for the kind words!
I get what you're saying about befriending someone who works there. I KNOW I have competition from others in town, as I have seen some of their finds and swapped stories with them. And I THINK probably some of the baggers and cart guys check it, too. I DON'T KNOW WHO TO TRUST! Therefore, I just go it alone. And my folks check it for me, too, when they go in. My mom has donated 3 or 4 silver dimes to me since she started checking it. I look at it this way... if I don't get it, the next person using the machine will. So, it's fair game for anyone walking by. I don't really want to accidentally alert even MORE people to the fact that the dang thing is just a flippin' treasure chest sitting there open... waiting for someone to look in!
Oh, and since I'm rambling... the odds ARE crazy on those two 52 Washingtons. Of all the coins possible...
It reminds me of a couple weeks ago the only two silvers I got from a 1927 yard were two 1920 D dimes... 15 feet apart... one worn heavily and the other much nicer. How is THAT possible?
Thanks for commenting!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could be awarded with a BANNER for a Coinstar find, This would be it! :headbang::hello2::skullflag::notworthy:

That's nice to hear, but I definitely wanna banner for something I dig one day!
Even so, I'll arrange the silver a little nicer and stage a better pic than I did yesterday after I mow the yard. Time to get to work! Thanks for commenting!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the reason I peep my local coinstar. Way to go!

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks... coinstar dreams DO come true.
There may be some of you out there as obsessed with coinstar checking as I am. I don't know. Maybe.
I DREAM about it. I dream about that time when I walk up to the old green machine and the reject is brimming with silver. Usually my dream includes walkers and SLQs, sometimes even Barbers.
But I will settle for what I got today. I check my local machine 3 or 4 times a day, religiously. Sometimes more on the weekends. It's a small town... easy to go give it a check, even if I don't have any business at the store. It's a practice that has netted me over 30 silvers and some other cool old coins in the past couple years.
Well, I just blew that out of the water in one trip. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking, other than to say I was weak in the knees and could not carry on getting the few items I needed from the store after I grabbed all this from the reject. I had to leave hastily.

View attachment 1771972

View attachment 1771973

34 mercs, 22 silver rosies, a 1982 George Washington commemorative half (90% silver), a wheatie, a clad railroad quarter, 1948 foreign coin, and an assortment of modern change.
My adrenaline is shot for the day. I know it's nothing great as far as dates/mints or rare coins, but I will take every bit of it. 57 silver coins in one haul at the coinstar. Heck, there was even a merc on the floor in front of the machine.
I'm sure my dreams will be even bigger from now on.
Thanks for looking!

Wow! Just wow! Kudos and homage. I'm almost as amazed just looking at this. Congratulations on by far the best Coinstar find I've seen on this site.

Just BTW, the foreign coin is a Japanese 100 yen from 1973.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
tn_coinstar.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE RECOVERIES CTXAgGetter :..
Here is my CoinStar Surfing Log!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Holy Moly!

You need to go in and see if they will give you the contents of the dirt cup pronto! Who knows what could be in there. There’s at least one post on here where someone has posted a pic of inside the machine (Search BigWaveDave or Monstarules I think).

I’ve often wondered how people miss this. I suspect this happens more when there are early rejections while people are dumping their coins in and they simply don’t hear the coins over the sound of the coins above [emoji2371].
IMG_8460.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Moly!

You need to go in and see if they will give you the contents of the dirt cup pronto! Who knows what could be in there. There’s at least one post on here where someone has posted a pic of inside the machine (Search BigWaveDave or Monstarules I think).

I’ve often wondered how people miss this. I suspect this happens more when there are early rejections while people are dumping their coins in and they simply don’t hear the coins over the sound of the coins above [emoji2371].
View attachment 1772281

What's the best way to go about asking for this? I've seen one of the old ladies emptying it into the large trash can just outside the doors and thought about digging through the trash before... but, I can't come up with a good angle on how I should ask someone to take the time to open the machine just for me. I sure don't want to burden them or give anyone else any reason to notice me in and out of there 4 times a day!
I totally understand it may be full of goodies. I just don't know how well my asking would go over. Thanks for commenting, and please, any advice you might have on how to ask to see the dirt tray is welcome!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the reason I peep my local coinstar. Way to go!

It sure pays off! I went back after mowing my yard... and had to go scope the beer aisle for a while to wait for a giant old dude to finish dumping a giant old coffee can of coins. The beer was all too expensive, so I went and ogled over the t-bones just long enough to let the guy finish and head for the service desk. Sure enough...
another Rosie! 1960 D
Thanks for commenting!

20191117_160537.jpg

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna go back and add this photo to my original post. I thought it might give a better look at all the dates.
Also, a few closer pics of the commemorative half.

View attachment 1772307

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Just wow! Kudos and homage. I'm almost as amazed just looking at this. Congratulations on by far the best Coinstar find I've seen on this site.

Just BTW, the foreign coin is a Japanese 100 yen from 1973.

Thanks for commenting! It has been a blast showing it off to everyone here. I have been overwhelmed by the kind words from everyone. Thanks for letting me know about the Japanese yen. I actually went and looked it up last night, just to be on the safe side, but I was pretty sure already it was copper-nickel. I had no idea the 48 was actually an indicator of the 48th year of Hirohito's reign, though... I thought it was the date!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
What's the best way to go about asking for this? I've seen one of the old ladies emptying it into the large trash can just outside the doors and thought about digging through the trash before... but, I can't come up with a good angle on how I should ask someone to take the time to open the machine just for me. I sure don't want to burden them or give anyone else any reason to notice me in and out of there 4 times a day!
I totally understand it may be full of goodies. I just don't know how well my asking would go over. Thanks for commenting, and please, any advice you might have on how to ask to see the dirt tray is welcome!

When I’ve done it, I just casually asked if I could have what was in the reject tray. You run the risk of being told to essentially stuff it. Maybe if they say anything you could offer to trade the monetary value of whatever is in there? Monstarules has the best post for this...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coinstar-finds/545652-coinstar-hunting-tips-tricks.html

Photo credit to BigWaveDave I think [emoji848]. I downloaded it ages ago so that I could show the customer service clerk which cup I was referring to before they opened it. IMG_5589.jpg

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great haul - always have to check when I'm in the local supermarket.

I found probably about 8 silver dimes total over the last couple years including an 1829 capped bust - so you never know. A couple of times I have grabbed fistfuls of coins from the reject tray. I have always wonder who would leave that much, but most people don't care I guess.

Good luck and hope you score some more silver.

MSpeiser

Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I ever found was a wheatie. You lucky dog! Great haul.

polarbluff

Greenie
Jun 27, 2018
louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
so how do you get into the machine ?do you own or ask permission? or how can i? i have wanted to it literally makes me sick seeing the coins go down the drain wo my inspection stamp of approval! ive bought from the line but i ask about machine and "the guy" always picks it up with the other money

are you all "the guy?"

also the reject does it get counted in your total as a customer or lose

Last edited:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
You know, When our 90 year old neighbor lady lost her husband to cancer, she had his silver collection that she needed to turn in to get some needed money for bills. She asked me if she should take them to the Bank and turn them in for cash. I told her I would look through them for her and see if she had any rare dates and then weigh all of them and tell her the value at that days silver value. Then she was armed with some knowledge and took them to a decent Gold / Silver dealer that gave her at least 10 times the face value plus decent profit for him I'm sure. It could have been a lady like her needing money and just not knowing the difference. Of course it also could have been some kid who stole someones collection, turned it to quick cash and left thinking the light colored ones were junk. Just a thought. Paul:coffee2:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the large haul! There have been a couple like that on here over the last several years. I’ve checked one here a couple times, have found rejected Canadian clad dimes, but last winter I found over $100 in silver value quarters, dimes and Franklin half. The cup had overflowed on to the floor!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I’ve done it, I just casually asked if I could have what was in the reject tray. You run the risk of being told to essentially stuff it. Maybe if they say anything you could offer to trade the monetary value of whatever is in there? Monstarules has the best post for this...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coinstar-finds/545652-coinstar-hunting-tips-tricks.html

Photo credit to BigWaveDave I think [emoji848]. I downloaded it ages ago so that I could show the customer service clerk which cup I was referring to before they opened it. View attachment 1772368

Thanks much for this! I had not seen that pic before. And, thanks, BigWaveDave, also!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread