Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks... coinstar dreams DO come true.
There may be some of you out there as obsessed with coinstar checking as I am. I don't know. Maybe.
I DREAM about it. I dream about that time when I walk up to the old green machine and the reject is brimming with silver. Usually my dream includes walkers and SLQs, sometimes even Barbers.
But I will settle for what I got today. I check my local machine 3 or 4 times a day, religiously. Sometimes more on the weekends. It's a small town... easy to go give it a check, even if I don't have any business at the store. It's a practice that has netted me over 30 silvers and some other cool old coins in the past couple years.
Well, I just blew that out of the water in one trip. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking, other than to say I was weak in the knees and could not carry on getting the few items I needed from the store after I grabbed all this from the reject. I had to leave hastily.

20191116_150748.jpg

20191116_154757.jpg

34 mercs, 22 silver rosies, a 1982 George Washington commemorative half (90% silver), a wheatie, a clad railroad quarter, 1948 foreign coin, and an assortment of modern change.
My adrenaline is shot for the day. I know it's nothing great as far as dates/mints or rare coins, but I will take every bit of it. 57 silver coins in one haul at the coinstar. Heck, there was even a merc on the floor in front of the machine.
I'm sure my dreams will be even bigger from now on.
Thanks for looking!
I edited to add a few more pics. The half looks in pretty decent shape and they didn't make that many, so I figured I might as well put it in something protective!
20191117_145539.jpg
20191117_145753.jpg
20191117_145822.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prior to this, my records indicate I have had 10 coinstar silver finds this year. And 51 from MDing. So... if I add it all up... that's 118 found silver coins FTY, right?!? I guess I'll always truly keep separate tally for MDing, but I still like the sound of 118 found silvers for the year. And I'm in Central Texas. We'll just throw on a jacket in the mornings and keep right on swinging through till January. There's more to be found!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap and WTH, I've never seen anything like that. We spend hours sometimes tramping through the woods to find ONE silver dime (if that!). Congratulations on a massive haul

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap and WTH, I've never seen anything like that. We spend hours sometimes tramping through the woods to find ONE silver dime (if that!). Congratulations on a massive haul

Thank you... and, I know! I don't do the woods so much, but I've put in WAY more hours detecting than visiting the coinstar machine.
On the flipside... I just weighed it all up and checked the value on several junk calculators. At 5.2 grams, or 56 dimes and 1 half, it's still just a hair over 70 bucks at today's prices. I've dug, several times, a single silver dime worth multiple times that. But never found anything super valuable at the coinstar. It's just another facet of treasure hunting I am obsessed with. Probably even more now.
Edit: Oops... 5.2 oz., not grams. Brain's fried. Already been back to check again. All around the machine. Even ran a few zincolns through just to see if I could jar anything loose.

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Now that's a haul!! Congrats!!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you! My best previous haul had been 3 mercs, or 2 mercs and a rosie. Don't recall. Anyway, this KILLED that.

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good grief dude, this is spectacular. Way to go and thanks for sharing!!

You are welcome. I knew some of you guys who live and breathe treasure hunting would love seeing this and hearing the story.

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best coin star find that I’ve seen here yet! Congratulations.

Sweet. I can't recall seeing a larger number of silvers on here, either, but I was thinking I had seen a gold ring. Maybe it was on YouTube. Plus, I know a guy locally who claims to have found a 5 peso gold. So, it's easy to imagine a better find... like a diamond ring... but, it's hard to beat seeing all that silver in your hand!

Kdmoo

Sep 18, 2018
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do people miss all the clanking going into the reject slot? Maybe it was someone young who didn't understand the value of the coins. Sheesh.

Nice haul-

Kevin

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best coinstar haul I've ever seen....I'm voting banner !! Almost like finding a cache !!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything could be more amazing than your haul, it would be the fact that someone could be moronic enough to dump all that in a CoinStar in the first place. Good for you that "dumbacity" is alive and well!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holiday season is always better....people cashing in change for the holidays !! Congrats !!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do people miss all the clanking going into the reject slot? Maybe it was someone young who didn't understand the value of the coins. Sheesh.

Nice haul-

Kevin

You may have a point there. An intelligent young man that I've known for years stopped his truck in the street to say hello one day as I was walking back to my house after finding an IHC. When I showed him what I had found, he replied that he had never heard of one.

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice haul-

Kevin

Anytime I see someone using the machine, they seem to be checking the reject all the time. I don't think I've cleaned up much more than a few coins from someone I actually witnessed using the machine. So, to know who would leave all this and some of the other crazy things, like an 1867 2 cent piece last year, would be very interesting. There is a deli area right near the lobby where the elderly folk drink coffee morning and afternoon. Maybe I'll have to start camping out there some time and watching closer to get an idea of what "type" of person might be most apt to leave the good stuff! Thanks for commenting.

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best coinstar haul I've ever seen....I'm voting banner !! Almost like finding a cache !!

Haha! I can honestly say that's the first time anyone's mentioned anything about banner about any of my finds! Just wish it had been from something I DUG UP!
Thanks for looking and commenting!!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anything could be more amazing than your haul, it would be the fact that someone could be moronic enough to dump all that in a CoinStar in the first place. Good for you that "dumbacity" is alive and well!

I totally agree! One of the first things I thought was, I don't know who would have left this, but they were a moron! I mean, 56 silver dimes is $5.60 face value alone! Who doesn't need that?!?
Thanks for looking and commenting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread