🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right place, right time.:headbang:

Wifey and I go grocery shopping, 30 or so miles from home.... my choice because I know there is not one but two Coinstar machines, side by side.

Two punk kids feeding the monster, and I hear the sweet clink clink of rejected silver. I inform them that I’ll buy any rejected coins, he holds out a fist of silver dimes. $35 and change already on the tally:censored:

His box is unloaded onto the tray, and panic mode sets in.

I convinced them that I wasn’t gonna do them wrong if they back off the machine, let me buy all of the stash, face value, and I’d throw in a little extra.

$80 bucks out of my pocket, I end up with a few goodies...

1832 LC
2 buffalo
16 wheats, all but a few steel
One 90% Ken
13 40%ers
27 Mercs

AND 337 Silver Rosie’s!
CD6E378D-7FF7-46F8-B5C2-E3076A7424D7.jpeg

Also a big pile of pre 59 Jeffs, and 9 Ike’s, a stack of clad Kens, and and probably $20-30 of pocket change.
656A6119-32E3-443B-997F-BDA7AE5D4918.jpeg

So I paid about $50 for over $700 in silver., Maybe less, haven’t gotten to counting yet.

So after my big purchase I told wifey to buy my favorite ice cream.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get excited to just read a post like this! That's awesome, congrats man!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two punk kids feeding the monster, and I hear the sweet clink clink of rejected silver. I

27 Mercs
337 Silver Rosie’s!

So I paid about $50 for over $700 in silver., Maybe less, haven’t gotten to counting yet.

Some dad going to be looking for his silver stash someday only to find it gone. His two punk kids gonna be like "haven't seen it"...

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
With all the pre 60's nickels it was a coin collection and one has to wonder what is inside the machine!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duuuude! Thats the move but it doesn't always work. I tried that before and the ladies just kept trying to feed the machine silver until it begrudgingly ate most of it. It takes many many attempts to get a coinstar to eat silver quarters. It was painful and traumatizing to watch but like a developing trainwreck I couldn't turn my head. They put the rest back in the container and left. I couldn't gain their trust. Yesterday same thing. I am definitely a minority where i live being a white(ish) guy in Baltimore. They hate me at the Safeway the manager always yells at me to leave the coin star alone and I tell her I'll take the $150/ week I spend at her store up the road. I do that for a few weeks and eventually come home. In the suburbs people are so trusting but in the city everyone thinks you are pulling a scam. In a way I guess I am lol. I gave a guy $10 for a Walking Liberty .999 one oz coin and he kept saying " i bet its worth so much". I said "why are you trying to stick it the coinstar for a dollar then?" We both laughed and I got the coin. I paid $5 for a seated liberty half but they got me it was fake.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and well done! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update.... 387 Rosie’s...... $38 in clad.
So really I paid $42 for the stash.

I love me.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Dave. I see you are no longer in Ft Myers. Was going to call you to hunt the beaches together this coming Thanksgiving week. Good Luck in MD Buddy... Tony M

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on FMB Tony, I miss it down there, but not really.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Right place, right time.:headbang:

Wifey and I go grocery shopping, 30 or so miles from home.... my choice because I know there is not one but two Coinstar machines, side by side.

Two punk kids feeding the monster, and I hear the sweet clink clink of rejected silver. I inform them that I’ll buy any rejected coins, he holds out a fist of silver dimes. $35 and change already on the tally:censored:

His box is unloaded onto the tray, and panic mode sets in.

I convinced them that I wasn’t gonna do them wrong if they back off the machine, let me buy all of the stash, face value, and I’d throw in a little extra.

$80 bucks out of my pocket, I end up with a few goodies...

1832 LC
2 buffalo
16 wheats, all but a few steel
One 90% Ken
13 40%ers
27 Mercs

AND 337 Silver Rosie’s!
View attachment 1876746

Also a big pile of pre 59 Jeffs, and 9 Ike’s, a stack of clad Kens, and and probably $20-30 of pocket change.
View attachment 1876747

So after my big purchase I told wifey to buy my favorite ice cream.

What made them punk kids?

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, that's a Big Wave all right. More than some of us may find in a lifetime. Congratulations and homage!

Nice silver haul. And yes, the machine will reject pennies for being the wrong size :)

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason I asked what qualified them as "punk kids" is that I had a similar experience with two kids that I guess were 13 - 15 years old. I was just finishing up in the checkout line and the machines were were right across the front isle. I watched them for a bit and heard the rejects dropping. I approached them and asked about their coins. They said their grandpa had died and had a big old empty fire extinguisher by the door that he dropped his change into. It was a fun conversation. Anyhow, they had no idea that coins use to be silver and were thrilled when I explained that to them. It was like a lightbulb went off in their heads. As we went through the rejects, there were a bunch of silver coins and some foreign coins. I could have bilked them out of those for face value, too, but just seeing them light up with a little lesson in coins was a great reward for me.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The late teens “punk kids” I dealt with no doubt had acquired the coins by nefarious means...
Not my concern to become buddies with them or solve a crime.
Right place, right time, now they are mine.

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely "right place, right time!" Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holy grail of coin star hunting. I admit defeat even though I didn’t pay out of pocket for mine. Good luck on the next one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread