CoinStar Info

badkharma

Mar 25, 2017
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was enjoying looking through some of the posts of what folks are finding in the CoinStar return slot, and thought I would put a post in around my experiences with this wonderful device.
I am a retail manager at a big box grocery outfit here in NC. I get to check for CoinStar treasure numerous times a day, and will swing by it regularly as I move around through my business. Like many of you, I regularly find silver dimes and quarters in the return slot. I have even pulled the occasional walker half out. My most unexpected find was an 1857 Flying Eagle cent.
My best finds, however, come from inside of the machine, as I have a key to open it up to clear jams, ect. Once the coins enter the top hopper, they fall into a flat, rectangular tray I call the sluice box. This is where you find the heavier, non coin items will get stuck. I have found numerous gold rings, broken gold and silver chains, earrings, ect that bottom out and get stuck in this tray. You would be surprised how much ammunition is found here as well, mostly .22lr. On the higher side of this tray collects the oddball light junk, mostly dust and pocket lint, but I have also found human teeth and partially smoked joints here.
Finally, as the coins are worked through, most of what it wants to dispense with ends up in what is known as the trash cup. Usually bent coins and junk, but this is where the dollar coins end up. Mainly I have found Eisenhower dollars, but also Morgan dollars, and once found a Barber dime that had been glued to paper at some point.
The good coins it accepts end up in one of two large tote style hoppers at the bottom. Beyond that, what it doesn't recognize ends up in the return slot that you are familiar with. I got transferred to a store with a more affluent clientele, and they don't use it much, but if I get a hold of anything good I'll post it here for ya'll to see.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was enjoying looking through some of the posts of what folks are finding in the CoinStar return slot, and thought I would put a post in around my experiences with this wonderful device.
I am a retail manager at a big box grocery outfit here in NC. I get to check for CoinStar treasure numerous times a day, and will swing by it regularly as I move around through my business. Like many of you, I regularly find silver dimes and quarters in the return slot. I have even pulled the occasional walker half out. My most unexpected find was an 1857 Flying Eagle cent.
My best finds, however, come from inside of the machine, as I have a key to open it up to clear jams, ect. Once the coins enter the top hopper, they fall into a flat, rectangular tray I call the sluice box. This is where you find the heavier, non coin items will get stuck. I have found numerous gold rings, broken gold and silver chains, earrings, ect that bottom out and get stuck in this tray. You would be surprised how much ammunition is found here as well, mostly .22lr. On the higher side of this tray collects the oddball light junk, mostly dust and pocket lint, but I have also found human teeth and partially smoked joints here.
Finally, as the coins are worked through, most of what it wants to dispense with ends up in what is known as the trash cup. Usually bent coins and junk, but this is where the dollar coins end up. Mainly I have found Eisenhower dollars, but also Morgan dollars, and once found a Barber dime that had been glued to paper at some point.
The good coins it accepts end up in one of two large tote style hoppers at the bottom. Beyond that, what it doesn't recognize ends up in the return slot that you are familiar with. I got transferred to a store with a more affluent clientele, and they don't use it much, but if I get a hold of anything good I'll post it here for ya'll to see.

That is very cool. I checked my first Coinstar yesterday at a local grocery, no luck.

OP
OP
B

badkharma

Mar 25, 2017
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20211108_052704.jpg
    20211108_052704.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing, can I get a key from you???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions