Steam Train Bell

Kodiak

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2006
This bell was taken from a Steam Train that was being scrapped in the 1930's by my grandfather. He told me years ago that he might have info on the actual train in his files somewhere. I have his files now and haven't found anything yet. I took these pictures about 5 years ago. It was mounted outside at the time. I have been keeping it inside my shop since then. There was some fine moss on the black bracket but that washed off and it looks better now. I searched the internet trying to find as much info on train bells as I could. It has a solid bronze bell and cast iron frame/bracket. It is really really heavy. I don't have a scale that could handle the weight. My guess is over 200 lbs.
I am going to sell it but I need to do somemore research before I do. I am looking for web sites or bell/train collections that may be interested. I don't know if ebay would be the best place to sell something like this. Any help/info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• Bell 1a.jpg
    Bell 1a.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 4,678
  • Bell 2a.jpg
    Bell 2a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 3,605
OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2006
Thanks PBK

I also found the American Bell Association message board. I will try to pick their brains.

Cheers,

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
K,

that is one nice bell.

A real artifact from the old days.

I would sure check your grandfather files.

If you have to sell it, the more info you have
the better the price.

Again, nice bell. Shame it has to leave the
family.

have a good un..............

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2006
Ya I remember when I was a kid and went to visit the grandparents the bell always got some attention from us. We must have drove the neighbours nuts ringing that thing.

I too would like to keep in the family but I don't have any kids and I don't plan on having any. The days of being able to keep something like this outside in a yard are almost gone. I mean I hear on the news about these meth/crack addicts steeling the bronze placks from war memorials and grave markers just to sell them for scrap. I think it would be gone before I knew it. I would hate to see it melted down for scrap. I don't live in a bad place now but I will be moving to a more urban environment soon. Also as much as I love it I really hate moving this thing.

I will keep searching for details on it. I know that will really help the value, plus the historical record should be keep intact whenever possible.

I have a few other things that he gave me. I have a transit (surveying instrument) from the 1800's. Solid brass in a wood case with a leather carring strap. The water(oil?) filled level and lenses all intact and working. My grandfather thought it was used by a railroad company, but I don't think there is any proof of that. My grandmother also gave me her shaving mug collection. All very old. She said she quit collecting in the 50's because she had to many. I think there are 38. Her father had a barber shop on a Mississippi riverboat in the late 1800's and some were also his. I have a photo of him in the barbershop on the riverboat. So I have lots of stuff to remember them by. It makes it easier to part with the bell.

Cheers,

Dunrobin

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2012
BC
Primary Interest:
Other
Pacific Coast Shay Bell

I am now the proud owner of this steam locomotive bell. Anyone interested in the history on it before it was acquired by the previous owners grandfather feel free to ask. I am in the process of restoring it.

If anyone else has a steam locomotive bell they want to sell or if they are not sure what it is off of I can identify it for you.

:)

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone interested in the history on it before it was acquired by the previous owners grandfather feel free to ask. I am in the process of restoring it.

:)

Well, POST IT! :-)

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much? What railroad? What type of steam locomotive? How old? What's it look like? Story and pics please!!! Congrats!

Dunrobin

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2012
BC
Primary Interest:
Other
1929 PCS Bell. Locomotive scrapped in 1954. Restored. Just needs a base and some touch up. :) BC Forest Products was the last railroad it was used on. The previous owner's grandfather worked for the railroad, restored the bell and hung it on a post for years. I restored it to what it looked like when it was new. I removed the red paint from the inside of the bell because it was added by the previous owner. Original clapper marks were painted over. Now it sits in my basement for now.....
PCS Bell.jpg

Last edited:

Dunrobin

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2012
BC
Primary Interest:
Other
I put it in a lathe and used 320 emery with WD40 to remove the varnish and tarnish that was on it then used fine steel wool with Brasso and WD40. last step was extra fine steel wool with Brasso and WD40.

On to the next one....

beautiful job what did you use to polish it up?

bob schmidt

Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put it in a lathe and used 320 emery with WD40 to remove the varnish and tarnish that was on it then used fine steel wool with Brasso and WD40. last step was extra fine steel wool with Brasso and WD40.

On to the next one....

We have access to three identical bells on Vancouver Island. We are looking to sell at least one of them so we can buy a steam whistle (prefer a Lunkenheimer three chime brass one) we need. Please note all three brass bell are painted red inside, have 14.5 inch diameter throat, and iron cast cradles with pedesals. It will need polishing as time has tarnished the brass/bronze.

Dunrobin

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2012
BC
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Bob,

The red paint was usually applied by the railroad and I am assuming my bell came from the same railroad as the ones you have. In that era most of the bells were painted inside. It was not done by the manufacturer usually. Lima may have done the painting in this case. If you have the correct information on the bells you can ask a higher price for them. Do you have the history on them and know what specific locomotives they came from?
Get back to me when you get time. Sorry for the late reply. I don't get on here as often as I would like too.

Best Regards,

Robin Stuber

Last edited:

alissadaviss

Jun 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slone Construction Bell

1929 PCS Bell. Locomotive scrapped in 1954. Restored. Just needs a base and some touch up. :) BC Forest Products was the last railroad it was used on. The previous owner's grandfather worked for the railroad, restored the bell and hung it on a post for years. I restored it to what it looked like when it was new. I removed the red paint from the inside of the bell because it was added by the previous owner. Original clapper marks were painted over. Now it sits in my basement for now.....
View attachment 730755

Do you restore other bell and charge for it. we have a bell similar to yours in the first picture and looking to restore it to look like the second picture.
old steam bell.JPG

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
K,

that is one nice bell.

A real artifact from the old days.

I would sure check your grandfather files.

If you have to sell it, the more info you have
the better the price.

Again, nice bell. Shame it has to leave the
family.

have a good un..............

Hi Shermanville Illinois
I liked what you said and gave you one for it.
I am intrigued that you have posted on Treasure Net Threads...7,209 times and have only gotten 25 likes with mine included?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shermanville Illinois
I liked what you said and gave you one for it.
I am intrigued that you have posted on Treasure Net Threads...7,209 times and have only gotten 25 likes with mine included?
Im guessing most of his posts are from before the "like" feature was implemented.

Dunrobin

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2012
BC
Primary Interest:
Other
PCS Bell

Hey. I lost your email. I decided to keep the bell. It's a one of a kind. Found the gentleman that has the other one.
Hope all is well.

This bell was taken from a Steam Train that was being scrapped in the 1930's by my grandfather. He told me years ago that he might have info on the actual train in his files somewhere. I have his files now and haven't found anything yet. I took these pictures about 5 years ago. It was mounted outside at the time. I have been keeping it inside my shop since then. There was some fine moss on the black bracket but that washed off and it looks better now. I searched the internet trying to find as much info on train bells as I could. It has a solid bronze bell and cast iron frame/bracket. It is really really heavy. I don't have a scale that could handle the weight. My guess is over 200 lbs.
I am going to sell it but I need to do somemore research before I do. I am looking for web sites or bell/train collections that may be interested. I don't know if ebay would be the best place to sell something like this. Any help/info would be appreciated.

Cheers

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats is a really cool piece of history

Top Member Reactions