Hires Root Beer Mugs

AmsterDan

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

A while back, a work buddy of mine bought these Hires Root Beer mugs from a garage sale. Without thinking I said, "I'll take them from you for $20 bucks", for one simple reason: They're cool looking mugs! So, here I am ... a little while later wondering about the history and possible value of these four mugs combined together.

Hires%20Root%20Beer%20Mugs.jpg

I've been searching the internet, but haven't been able to find even one picture of a mug that looks the same. Three things came to mind:
1. They are not interesting mugs and are therefore nowhere to be found on the internet.
2. They are very rare mugs and are therefore nowhere to be found on the internet.
3. In case of point 2, I'm going to to buy myself a Mercedes very soon. (Just kidding).

Just interested whether anyone here could tell me a little more about these mugs.
Much appreciated and thanks in advance,

Daniel

OP
OP
A

AmsterDan

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing it says on the bottom is: Canada (Vaguely).
Hires%20Root%20Beer%20Mugs%20-%20Mark.jpg

And: "*Hires is a registered trademark".
Hires%20Root%20Beer%20Mugs%20-%20Trade%20Mark.jpg

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen them before, they look really cool, however, my 30++ years of dealing and collecting antiques and collectibles GUT feeling is, is that these are "Fantasy Pieces". I've seen these same ceramic mugs with beer ads made in the 1970s and 80s.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that ABruce is right. I never came across them in our shop, but they were probably made in the 70's or 80's. I too have seen very similar mugs with different advertising.

OP
OP
A

AmsterDan

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I signed up on TreasureNet is because of these mugs. Now, about a year later, I have started to grow an interest for relic and coin hunting ... what do you know ... I'm back! I totally forgot about these posts and just read the responses. Thanks for the insight, I had a feeling these may not have been 'the real deal' as you'd normally find something on the internet. Nothing on these puppies. Having said that, they are kinda cool looking indeed. Would there be any particular value behind these mugs? Or are these best seen as regular ol' mugs with a nice print?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread