Found this watch in grandmothers desk...

AdaLuvlace

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
Ok first off I want to say I am new here and really appreciate how nice everyone has been. Secondly, I have really tried to find out if I could figure out more about what this is but I'm not doing so well. I did what handy dandy google said and took off the back and got the serial number so here it is :
The face says Waltham. When you open the back it said sterling then A.W.W.Co mass
This is a picture

image-1325070673.jpg

I'm sure it's not supposed to be yellow but I'm sure it's been in this desk forever. It almost looks like it might be a wrist watch but it's odd bc if you would place it on as if there were straps the face wouldn't be in the position of a normal wrist watch. Like where the brackets are if you would wear it on your wrist when you'd look at it you'd be looking at the 9 in the 12 o'clock position which I thought was odd. But I am completely ignorant to any watches antique or current so maybe someone here can help. I tried to put the serial number into a database but the model number that it gave me when googled was not even closely resembling this one so I can only imagine I made an error. Thanks guys!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the numbers turn thats why its showing like that

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i don't know a lot about watches, but i have sold a few.
i think its from 1918 and is what is called a trench watch.
the metal on the front of the watch is a shrapnel guard.
its what a world war one soldier would have bought before going to the war.
these watches bring a premium with collectors.
google trench watch and you will see.
also check ebay to check some of the prices on these.
maybe a family heirloom.
is it running?

after a little digging around i found this one that has been restored and sold for $1250.
but it is an elgen not a Waltham, still very close to the same style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-WWI-El...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do an EBAY search TRENCH WATCH there is a elgin one $1250.00 also a BING search images shows a WALTMAN LEADNUGGET was right on with his answer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread