Ever heard of Helmscene?

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Has anybody out there ever heard of Helmscene? They are a backlit type of picture, usually a photograph of a landscape. They were made primarily in the 50's in Grand Rapids Michigan. They can also be a painting, as the Last Supper is. They are traded on Ebay, but isn't everything?
Anyway just checking with our forum because I've been collecting them for about 15 years. They really are nice in my family room. They can brighten your mood as well.

Mookkee

Oct 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, ya, I know quite a bit about them. I live in Grand Rapids, MI where they were made. Actually grew up near the factory. I have a collection. I enjoy talking about them. I'm brand new to this site and am feeling my way through.

Elizabeth8B

Mar 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There! I only own one scene, and am looking for information on how to clean it. Also, it is buzzing and needs to be rewired, I believe, it's an absolute mess inside. Replaced the bulbs and it didn't fix. Do either of you have any suggestions on how to clean or who can rewire? I would also like to buy a few replacement subject screens, but can only find the complete lit piece. I am also in Grand Rapids! Thanks for any help.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a decade old post, if you don't get a reply - that might be why.

JohnCampbell

Jan 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anybody out there ever heard of Helmscene? They are a backlit type of picture, usually a photograph of a landscape. They were made primarily in the 50's in Grand Rapids Michigan. They can also be a painting, as the Last Supper is. They are traded on Ebay, but isn't everything?
Anyway just checking with our forum because I've been collecting them for about 15 years. They really are nice in my family room. They can brighten your mood as well.

I happen to be in possession of one of these that was cherished by my late Grandfather. My father, also now deceased, recently passed away and my youngest brother knew it was important to me so he sent it to me via UPS, arriving just yesterday. The piece has a picture of two White Tail Deer roaming through the woods. The unit is described as originally being the "Last Supper" model. Now well over 50+ years old, the original ballast, capacitor, and florescent Westinghouse light still works. I am going to see about replacing it though with an LED version if I can find one as the unit does get hot and it's surely only a matter of time before the ballast burns out. I don't want to risk the chance of it being ruined from ballast smoke or potentially a fire. If someone happens to know of a good replacement LED option for this it would be helpful to me. While that might not do much for the antique value, the value in this piece is to myself and my family, hopefully for many generations to come.

This one now is mounted in a place of cherished honor in my living room.

I have attempted to attach a photo of it here, but I don't know if I was successful in that or not. I'm not the most savvy on such things. If the photo is displayed you'll note that our home is still under construction as our old home was lost in it's entirety in the 23 June 2016 Erskine fire. Hopefully it will be completed this year.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet from Southern California. Can’t wait to see a photo of it. Best of luck with the build!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread