Need help Locating mine

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Hey guys Im out of Missouri, my grandpa, also in Missouri told me he owns 10 acres of land just outside of Idaho Springs that has two old gold mines on it. The problem is he cannot remeber where exactly it is or the name of the mines. He said its been 50 years since hes been to it. And there are thousands of mines in the area. Do you guys have any tips or websites that could help me locate it. Im going out there on vacation and was wanting to explore being this land is being passed down to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If he still owns it he would have to still be paying taxes on it and the local county records would give the exact location.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
I wonder if thats sumthin I could find online. My grandpa has lost his memory. I just emailed the Clear Creek county office in hopes they might be able to give me some info.

Shawn112

Feb 9, 2009
Colorado
The County accessor, if spelled right, should have a map with all land owners listed on the map. At least here in the southeast corner they do that.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ya I emailed the county and they were very good at helping me. They said they had no record of his name, and I doubt he had paid the property tax in a while, he's moved around alot, and like I said he's lost his memory, so I bet the land was seized and auctioned. Thanks for your help tho guys. Josh

Shawn112

Feb 9, 2009
Colorado
I bet if he did not pay his property taxes the land went up on a tax acution. If you can find when that was there is a time frame when he can just pay back what ever someone paid and get the property back.

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dOEs he remember anything about the mines names? did he locate them or someone else. If he located them go to th geocommunicator pull up the cllosed claims section with the label. A lot of people when staking claims use a name that is familiar to them. like annie or the big boy. its a long shot but if your going to be in IDAHO SPRINGS ITS WORTH LOOKING AT ANYWAY

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the time frame for paying back taxes is 3 years. then the new tax payer can file for a treasurers deed and they will become the new property owner.
if your grand pa owned a non patented claim and did not pay the blm the yearly fee it most likely got taken up buy the next miner with an interest in the claim. now for the good news. all but a few claims (non patented) have lapsed back to being blm owned again. (due to the fact that they are no longer allowing non patended mine claimes to become patented ) so if your grandpas claim was an patented claim the blm may have a record of it. Ps they have the records of every claim ever filed. find the name and the mine number and I will find it for you...! Bryan In denver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread