What is status of Old Camp Road in Colorado Springs?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
L

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Correction: Make that the "Gold Camp Road". This is the road Womack used
to go to Co Springs, of coarse he went horseback. He was the cowboy who
first found Cripple Creek gold.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh, I knew what you meant. :wink: I wish I were able to get into that area...

Bran <><

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi lastleg,

It's highly unlikely they will ever reopen the Gold Camp Road. Bicycle travel was allowed for awhile but don't know about that anymore. The road is extremely hard to maintain because the whole area is rotted and crumbled granite. Fort Carson Army rebuilt the road one time and it didn't last very long. That was many years ago though.

I too would like to see the road reopened as there is a wealth of beauty there and a lot of history. Some nice old tunnels up there I used to drive a school bus through.

Have a good day,

OP
OP
L

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hi goldenlady:

We used to visit Cripple Creek frequently. My hobby was prospecting so I was very interested in the geologic sites. Is there another way to get to St.
Peter's Dome from the Springs?

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Morning Again,

Yes, you should be able to get to St. Peter's Dome by way of the Old Stage Road. The Pike National Forest Office says there is a trailhead to the Dome. You might want to check with them. The Old Stage Road goes from just outside of Victor down into the Broadmoor area.

We too spent a lot of happy hours prospecting the areas between Victor, Cripple Creek and Colorado Springs. Never found any gold off of the Gold Camp or Old Stage Roads but still lots of nice areas to hike in.

Hope this helps,

Goldenlady

OP
OP
L

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thank you, goldenlady, I saw that Old Stage Rd on my topo but didn't know
if it was navigable.

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Your Welcome,

You can drive a car on the Old Stage Road although it does narrow in a few places and there are a few "washboards" in the road.

If you get the opportunity take the Phantom Canyon Road out of Victor ( it used to be a railroad ) and there is still quite a bit of open land you can hike there. No real big vehicles on it though but a pickup or car is ok. Beautiful country! There's also the Shelf Road out of Cripple Creek that is part of the gold belt tour. Not much open land there but not unusual to see the Big Horn Sheep resting right by the road.

You get into some of the back country of Phantom Canyon and you might find some interesting things. We have. One warning I have for you though is to watch for the mountain lions as they are plentiful in the area.

Take care and have fun whatever you do.

Goldenlady

OP
OP
L

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks goldenlady,

Some 8-9 years ago wife and I went to Gunnison for a chuckwagon outing
and afterwards drove to Cripple Creek, our first time. As usual I was looking for
shortcuts so I took the Phantom Canyon Road. I have a Landcruiser so wasn't
worried, we had been on plenty of mountain trails with it. It seemed like forever to get to I-20 but at least I saved a few miles, lol. This was going south out of Victor. No lion sightings regretably.
I read in one book that St Peters area had gem material and always wanted to take a look. Now it's too late for any more Colorado excursions as wife is
homebound and must look out for her full-time.
I do have one project left that will just take 2-3 days due to distance. Could
be highlight of 40 years of detecting if it works out. Years back I had a favorite
CO ghost town that I have pleasant memories of. Wife loved trout fishing &
I always set aside a day at GT. I wish I could name it but forces beyond our
control have made this great hobby go silent to details.
Speaking of mountain lions I've made several prospecting trips on GPAA claims in AZ and a rancher there was losing horses to lions on a regular basis.
Never glimpsed one there either.
Well I appreciate your help. I sure miss Colorado.

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the area is known for small green and purple fluorite. The old Eureka mine was once a source of gem-quality transparent zircon in pinks, greens and yellows. This info. is from Colorado Rockhounding (book) by Stephen Voynick and I guess it's a pretty popular area to collect gems.

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's health but certainly understand your not being able to travel much. The one thing that stands out in my mind is we (husband and I ) aren't wealthy in money but we've got 46 years (this July) of memories. It sounds as if you and your wife are wealthy in memories too.

God Bless You for taking care of her.

Sincerely,

Goldenlady

OP
OP
L

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks Native, won't have time to make Gold Camp Road soon. Going up to Creede
area next week. Hope it's not raining.

stevebeckeraf

Apr 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Camp Road Colorado Springs

Will any kind of travel be allowed this summer season?

I just traveled on a portion of Gold Camp Road starting in the broadmoor area of Colorado Springs. It started out as Old Stage Rd (FS368) and transitioned into Gold camp rd just after Emerald Valley Ranch. The road had significant wash boards just out of Colorado Springs, but smoothed out a bit after that. I followed it as far FS381 (around Wye camp ground) which required me to put my jeep in 4WD because of the snow and trail condition. Overall the roads were well maintaned although they narrowed in spots. There are many scenic views along the road. It's a very nice drive.

Steve

oldnugget

Feb 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE ENTIRE GOLD CAMP ROAD WAS JUST REBUILT, ITS OPEN... GO FER IT....!

Coloradohaze

May 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't listen to this person.

THE ENTIRE GOLD CAMP ROAD WAS JUST REBUILT, ITS OPEN... GO FER IT....!

Don't take gold camp all the way from springs. Yes, you can take lower gold camp from bear creek to the top of north cheyenne canyon. But it stops there due to tunnel 3's collapse in 1988. If you want to take Gold Camp to Cripple Creek or Victor, you must bypass the tunnel via Old Stage road. This is located about a mile or two up behind The Broadmoor Hotel. Follow the signs to cheyenne mountain zoo. There will be a perpendicular intersection right before the zoo, turn right (west) onto Old Stage in the direction of the canyon. Follow this road for about 8 or so miles, and you will eventually connect back to Gold Camp.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big thanks to Haze for that tip. That road is on my list of things to do this summer and you probably saved me some headaches.

C & W Minerals

Greenie
Aug 22, 2017
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer, Le Trap
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a smokey specimen I pulled out at St. Peter's Dome earlier this summer. Been digging up there on and off for a couple years. Love the area off Old Stage/Gold Camp Road. St Pete's Smokey.JPG

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a smokey specimen I pulled out at St. Peter's Dome earlier this summer. Been digging up there on and off for a couple years. Love the area off Old Stage/Gold Camp Road. View attachment 1493865

I have been looking for that dig site for a while. Can you message me where the parking spot is? Here is what I found while dirtbiking yesterday by 7 lakes and Stratton Reservoir. These peopIe were without a paddle and car! I have found some random points around the peak,
yours is a beauty! Gold camp has some great side roads. Glad to have my bike back. I hope you find more!
View attachment 1493876

Attachments

• 0911170954_Burst01-1.jpg
    0911170954_Burst01-1.jpg
    764.8 KB · Views: 140

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread