Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

We have a hunt scheduled for the 5th of June. If you can get away for a few days you are welcome to join us.
Most of the folks are going to be camping on my ranch or nearby. I am also trying to get permission for us to hunt on a battleground up here near Sterling that is on private property. No word yet I am afraid. If we get permission to hunt that, most will do that. However, we have numberous other spots to hunt up here. Lots of old homesteads, abandoned farmsteads and other sites.

So mark the 5th on your calender and let us know. There are a few guys too down in the Denver area that I am sure would not mind getting together for a days hunt somewhere down there.

Guys, who here is nearest to him that could maybe get a hunt going one day or afternoon down that way?

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm in the Denver area. I am out of town for 2 weeks and will be back a few days before the weekend in Sterling. But I do have something up my sleeve possibly for later in June or July.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wild Boulder Bill said:
I have a wife that is ill and flying back and forth to San fransisco, but would like to hook up with you guys some time when I can. I love to hunt with colorado hunters.

I am in Denver area as well. I try and get out swinging at least 2-3 times a week for a couple hours. Still learning my my DFX but if you can put up with me fiddling with settings on my MD :-\ you are more than welcome to join me :icon_thumleft:

Scooter,

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Hey Dennis are ya drying out yet?? How is your back doing?

Hey Frank, If it would quit raining it would dry out fine. ::) But all in all its not too bad. Where its grassy it can be a pain if you take a vehicle on it cause you are going to go down to the hubcaps. So to the farm houses we will have to park on the road and hoof it a 1/4 mile or so to them. A 4x4 might make it, havent tried though. If we dont get any more rain between now and next weekend, things should be fine. And can still detect even then but will be a bit more difficult. Alot of grass has grown up. ALOT. Going to see if I can brushhog up at the farmhouses so we can detect without the tall grass. But if the ground is still too damp, could even get a tractor stuck.

Camping will be ok. Tents are fine on the grass in the yard, and if anyone brings a camper or RV, they can park on the gravel and be ok.

The weather has been something else. We had 80 mph winds the other day. Lost alot of shingles off the houses and garages. Was a mess. Broke a couple of trees. Weather has been a bitch.

My back is doing ok. I have to watch it and still take it easy. So I will just take it slow and easy.

The battleground is a no go. They will still not allow anyone on it. I tried guys. And the movie theater is a no go too. My friend wanted part of whatever anyone found. So told him no thanks. Not a situation I wanted us to get into. Even with a friend.

So we are left with the other sites which will be plenty. And I am checking out another site. An old homestead. Another original. So we might have it as well. So everyone will have a spot to detect on. Heck...might have enough that each of you will have your own site all to yourself. <laugh>

Everyone respond here who will be showing up next weekend. And let me know if you need directions again.

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Dang gume weather better straighten up and dry out!! I'll be there in fact if you need some help I could come up a day or two early if ya want. Hoofin in well then I will bring my little camel back for some of that good well water. Bummer on the battlefield but it is their property and I guess they want to preserve it I can understand that. The Drive In well no sweat not sure I really wanted to dig through all that compressed rock lol.

I'll still be up Friday and leave Monday unless ya want me to come up to help out some. Just me didn't contact that guy I was telling you about.

Now all you married guys make sure you bring pics and stats of all your single sisters and sister-in-laws for me LOL

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Frank,

Likely wont need you up early. No problem with you staying to Monday though. Still going to do a Brisquit on the BBQ. If you haven never had good Texas smoked beef brisquit....you dont know what you been missing. Also figure on smoking a lamb roast....basically half a leg of lamb. Smoked over 5 or so hours and they melt in your mouth. The two along with some burgers and hotdogs will feed a dozen or more. Thats for that Saturday evening. And like before...everyone else just figure on providing a side of something. Or a case of soda or something.

Well, even if we do get some rain this week we can still detect. Long as it aint storming then and there. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that the weather gods cooperate for a change. With the grass growing we wont have to deal so much with mud...except under the grass.

I got a good spot in the yard we can have a nice big campfire/bonfire that evening. I can get plenty of wood. My neighbor has a collapsed shed he wants the wood disposed of so wood is not a probem. And I have some too. Make sure someone brings the marshmallows. Also bring yourself a camp chair. We got a few but not enough for all.

This weekend is on..come H E L * or highwater. And if it rains...well, make sure you got a slicker to throw on and a cover for your detector. Both my sons will be here too...both home from college. So I will have plenty of help getting things ready.

And if I can get a nice one from my neighbor I might just smoke a suckling pig instead of the brisquit that everyone can eat on the whole weekend. Thats a cheap bbq, believe me. A young pig about 30 or 40 pounds is only 30 bucks at most on the hoof. And preparing him/her is easy. And smoked/bbq'd... is ambrosia. And dont worry...he would be prepared before anyone got here in case anyone is squeamish about such things. Not you guys...but I know how the women can be about such things. Of course my older son is as squeamish as they come about things like that....so its not just the women. Doesnt make him sick or anything...just doesnt like it. He has helped me a time or two..and hated it. My youngest...doesnt bother him a bit. He just doesnt like the work involved....he is a teenager...none of em like to work up a sweat if they can help it nowadays.

Well, hope everyone is ready for the 5th. Or the 4th... I know I am. Looking forward to it.

Dennis

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old_goldchaser said:
Hey Frank,

Likely wont need you up early. No problem with you staying to Monday though. Still going to do a Brisquit on the BBQ. If you haven never had good Texas smoked beef brisquit....you dont know what you been missing. Also figure on smoking a lamb roast....basically half a leg of lamb. Smoked over 5 or so hours and they melt in your mouth. The two along with some burgers and hotdogs will feed a dozen or more. Thats for that Saturday evening. And like before...everyone else just figure on providing a side of something. Or a case of soda or something.

Well, even if we do get some rain this week we can still detect. Long as it aint storming then and there. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that the weather gods cooperate for a change. With the grass growing we wont have to deal so much with mud...except under the grass.

I got a good spot in the yard we can have a nice big campfire/bonfire that evening. I can get plenty of wood. My neighbor has a collapsed shed he wants the wood disposed of so wood is not a probem. And I have some too. Make sure someone brings the marshmallows. Also bring yourself a camp chair. We got a few but not enough for all.

This weekend is on..come H E L * or highwater. And if it rains...well, make sure you got a slicker to throw on and a cover for your detector. Both my sons will be here too...both home from college. So I will have plenty of help getting things ready.

And if I can get a nice one from my neighbor I might just smoke a suckling pig instead of the brisquit that everyone can eat on the whole weekend. Thats a cheap bbq, believe me. A young pig about 30 or 40 pounds is only 30 bucks at most on the hoof. And preparing him/her is easy. And smoked/bbq'd... is ambrosia. And dont worry...he would be prepared before anyone got here in case anyone is squeamish about such things. Not you guys...but I know how the women can be about such things. Of course my older son is as squeamish as they come about things like that....so its not just the women. Doesnt make him sick or anything...just doesnt like it. He has helped me a time or two..and hated it. My youngest...doesnt bother him a bit. He just doesnt like the work involved....he is a teenager...none of em like to work up a sweat if they can help it nowadays.

Well, hope everyone is ready for the 5th. Or the 4th... I know I am. Looking forward to it.

Dennis

Thanks for the update Dennis,

I am hoping the weather will cooperate with us this time, but you never know here in Colorado :dontknow:

I will be coming up on Friday and will be more than happy to lend a hand with anything you guys need help with.

You been doing any swingging with the new E-Trac?

Scooter,

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scooter said:
Thanks for the update Dennis,

I am hoping the weather will cooperate with us this time, but you never know here in Colorado :dontknow:

I will be coming up on Friday and will be more than happy to lend a hand with anything you guys need help with.

You been doing any swingging with the new E-Trac?

Scooter,

Hey Scooter, glad to hear you are coming.

Not much swinging with the ET. Just a couple of hours at the one homestead...cleared out a bunch of junk. That was just in about a 10 foot area. Found a couple of pennies... that was about it.
Going to get out to the lake next week at least one day...and hit the beach. Been waiting. They have had the beach area closed because of dam construction. But they have been moving that sand beach and stuff around so am wanting to get in there and see what I can find. Dont know if I will be able to get in the water. Supposedly the area there at the beach is closed to water access. Dont know how they would stop you. But at least I think I am going to do some wading.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Man don't say "High water" you'll jinx us lol

Don't think I have had lamb since I was a very little kid. Mom said back in early 60's it was a cheap meat but about time I hit kindergarten it went up and she stopped buying it. And i know I haven't had smoked pig so I am really going to enjoy eating of course I enjoy eating anyhow lol.

I'll cheat I'll bring my Army poncho then if it rains I can just drape it over the ACE and just listen to the tones. Pretty much just going to dig everything anyhow just to be sure I don't miss anything good.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I will be there. Really looking forward to it. I've been poking around some parts of Ohio. Too bad it's such a long drive.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jimbog said:
I will be there. Really looking forward to it. I've been poking around some parts of Ohio. Too bad it's such a long drive.

You have any luck out there in Ohio? Other than passing through...thats been about the only time I have been there. Or through there, that is. Interstate....zip.

Havent gotten a pig yet. My neighbor is out of town for the holiday so wont be able to get one till tuesday at the eariliest. Likly will be around 50 pounds. Thats about the biggest I would like to do. I have done one at 100 pounds or so but that is toooooo big. Especially scalding it to scrape the hair off. Smaller ones are alot easier and the hair isnt as bad. Plus I dont have to cut the legs back to make it fit on my grill/smoker. 40 pounder is perfect and I can finish it out inside if need be or split it and put it in my big electric smoker.

Going to get a big bag of taters and do them in the smoker as well with the hog. I have done similar in putting whole taters inside the hog as it smoked. Came out might tasty that way.

I will save the brains for those that are adventurous eaters.....like me. And the tongue.

Will still smoke that leg of lamb. That was one we raised here. And looking at putting a couple of goats to the processor next week. Mostly for goat burger but a few roasts as well.

And Frank...will give you a package of lambburger to try out. Some of the best burgers. yummmmm

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Cool I ain't proud I take food packages LOL

Goat burgers? If it looks ok and is cooked I will try the brain and tongue or at least a small piece of it. Potatoes in pig? interesting my belly is going to get a culture shock lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Cool I ain't proud I take food packages LOL

Goat burgers? If it looks ok and is cooked I will try the brain and tongue or at least a small piece of it. Potatoes in pig? interesting my belly is going to get a culture shock lol

Well, I grew up traveling all over Europe as an Air Force brat and my family has its roots in Germany and Scotland. In the service I was in the 'nam and then in Panama. So I grew up and then some being accustomed to eating alot of different types of foods and meats. Have eaten stuff that would have people here in the states gagging and losing their lunch. And then down in San Antonio with the mexican culture down there, ate goat and other stuff that for the average american would be very unusual.

Most people would, and have turned their noses up at eggs that didnt come from the grocery store and heaven forbid they were eggs of anything but chickens. We eat any kind of egg. And love em. We have eaten chicken, turkey, duck, goose, guinea eggs. All of them and enjoyed them. My favorite are turkey and duck, though goose surely comes a close second. Dont have any of them now though we still are getting some chicken eggs now and then. But even then, those are nothing similar like store bought. Once you get used to farm eggs, store bought are a pale imitation. And then if you like goose, duck, turkey...well...yummm.

Yea...around this place, your belly will surely go into culture shock. Just with the meats. I wish we still had all the different eggs. Might have some fresh chicken eggs for you to try though. Depends on how they lay. They just started laying. We sold off all our other laying hens and almost all the poultry. Have a few ducks and a variety of chickens. Some just started laying. Going to slaughter a few of the chickens next week. Might smoke one for sandwiches. You can try that one Frank. Fresh chicken smoked over Jack Daniel barrel oak chips. Makes some of the best smoked chicken you will ever taste. Does a pretty decent job on pork or lamb too.

Wont have the goat back in time for the weekend though. It wont be done processed until at least the week after. But if we get down your way later in the month we can drop a bit of goat burger off for you to try. These two goats we figure to process are nice fat young goats. This spring grass has fattened them like nothing else. That and the corn we have fed them. A friend of ours is raising up a lamb for us. She lives over by Ft Collins. Going to have it slaughtered around august.

conlaodh

Dec 10, 2007
Denver
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505, Explorer II

Hey Dennis if we eat all the food you are laying on for Saturday night we all had better get our metal detecting done before hand as we will all be as fat as fools and want to sleep the rest of the
weekend off.
Looking forward to Saturday and hope the weather smiles on us.

Con

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I've had fresh chicken eggs still with mommas poop on the shell but haven't had any other type of eggs. Heck didn't even know ya could eat the other eggs. Can't eat the Guinea eggs I had 2 of them as pets just wouldn't feel right lol Keep it up and all we will want to do is eat and not detect lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
I've had fresh chicken eggs still with mommas poop on the shell but haven't had any other type of eggs. Heck didn't even know ya could eat the other eggs. Can't eat the Guinea eggs I had 2 of them as pets just wouldn't feel right lol Keep it up and all we will want to do is eat and not detect lol

Well, about all the eggs I have left now are chicken. The others are gone and I sold off all my poultry last month. Well, almost all of it. Still got some chickens and a few ducks.

Yea, about any kind of egg is edible. Guinea eggs are considered one of the best for using in baked goods. They are also considered a delicacy. Personally, I like turkey, but duck is good too. Turkey eggs have huge yokes compared to the white and then of course the egg is 2 to 3 times bigger than a chcken egg.

You will likely be able to try some fressh chicken eggs but not any of the other kinds. Not anymore here anyway.

See you guys Friday. Let me know bout what time you guys are going to be here.

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Now ya got me wonderin how those other eggs taste. I know where some wild turkeys live wonder if I could sneak in and grab one lol

I'll be leaveing around noon on Friday from Greeley so should be between 2 and 3 hours depending on if or how long I stop for.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Now ya got me wonderin how those other eggs taste. I know where some wild turkeys live wonder if I could sneak in and grab one lol

Cept you just might need a fry pan for the chick inside. :tongue3: Never tried it, but I hear its supposed to taste good.

I'll be leaveing around noon on Friday from Greeley so should be between 2 and 3 hours depending on if or how long I stop for.

Once you hit the Sterling turnoff, we are about 40 minutes from there.

Too bad eggs dont keep forever. We still have some turkey eggs in our porch fridge, but they are too old, I think. Can always crack a few and see. Store bought eggs are up to 2 months old when they hit the shelves. I would guess these are about 6 weeks or so old. So they could be good still. Just not what I would call fresh.

I have been spoiled. I dont eat eggs that are over a week old. And when I dont have fresh eggs, I dont eat eggs, usually.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Well after getting a bad case of food poisening once I also don't eat things that are old. Most items if they are 2 days over experations date they get tossed. Don't think I would be cooking a dead egg embrio would just toss it.

Is the ground drying out? I see you've been experiencing thunderstorms or chance of them all week. Any rain with them?

Where is the roll call of those coming folks?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions