Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

Frank1960 said:
Did ya breath while typing that Dennis? LOL I'll vote for the trip to the cabins! I think it would be a blast to not only detect the area but also to sleep in real old time cabins....ya let me know how those are I will sleep in camper. LOL Just kidding I'll sleep in cabin also just not the one with the big hole in the side lol

Tell your boys if that meat goes bad because they didn't eat it you won't cook for them ever again!

Nope...held my breath...its why I am purple now. :laughing9:

Those cabins up there on the ranch have been there since the 20's I think. Kathy and I have stayed in them a couple of times. The one cabin has a main room and 2 bedrooms. It sleeps 8 I think, the other has one bedroom and then the main room. It sleeps 6 I think. They have added a third cabin since I was up there. It was one on the other side of the ranch that they moved down. The main ranch house they just rebuilt after it burned down last year. It wasnt a huge house but it was old and had had a lot of character. Havent seen the new one yet. I will dig out some photos of the place if I can find them.
Its always been one of my favorite places to go to but I just never got many chances to go there.

And Frank...none have holes in the sides. :tongue3:

I saw the boys eating on some of the meat today. So its getting eaten..

dhe2

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2009
Arvada, CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 - Tesoro Cibola w/GB Mod - Black Widow Headphones - Garrett Pinpoint

Hey Dennis,

Just came across this topic. Bummer, I wish I could have joined you guys. I'm new to detecting (9 months) and have been looking to hook up with some local detectors. Please let me know if you put together another gathering, I would love to join the festivities and would be more than happy to pitch-in in anyway. If not, anyone up for morning coffee and metal detecting???

Dan

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dhe2 said:
Just came across this topic. Bummer, I wish I could have joined you guys. I'm new to detecting (9 months) and have been looking to hook up with some local detectors. Please let me know if you put together another gathering, I would love to join the festivities and would be more than happy to pitch-in in anyway. If not, anyone up for morning coffee and metal detecting???

Hi Dan, welcome to the hobby,

We will all be getting together again once or twice more I hope in the next couple of months. You are welcome to attend. If we get a hunt up on the ranch in the mountains, numbers attending will be kind of restricted. Depends on how many want to attend and how many my cousin allows on the ranch. In the meantime I think we will be getting a group together down in Denver around the first of the month. Nothing has been arranged yet but there a several guys down in there that could likely meet with you. Frank, Con, Jim? Any of you available sometime soon? Oops, I forgot, Frank, you are over by Greeley. Jim is always up for a hunt though.

Hey guys? You got any dates available and sites to go hunt down that way? I am not familiar with the Denver area any more so I would be a babe in the woods down there. Doesnt have to be one your personal sites but maybe one that would be good for us as a group and wouldnt take away from any of you guys good sites.

Hey, what about hunting for some gold down there. Seem to remember one of the creeks, now a lake but still has a creek running into it used to be good for gold and some people still find some. My mind has gone blank on it now...but....maybe Cherry creek? I think its a park too? Dont know if its huntable but maybe one of you can check or I might even be thinking of the wrong place. Would be a chance to try some nugget hunting right there in the city. But if you can come up with somewhere else, would work too.

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

"Oops, I forgot, Frank, you are over by Greeley." Yeah little ole me up here LOL I have heard there are a lot of detectorist up here but have only met one and got a number for another one.

Welcome to the hobby Dan!

dhe2

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2009
Arvada, CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 - Tesoro Cibola w/GB Mod - Black Widow Headphones - Garrett Pinpoint

Thanks Dennis, sounds great. I will keep posted and try to hook up for the Denver hunt if it comes together.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
"Oops, I forgot, Frank, you are over by Greeley." Yeah little ole me up here LOL I have heard there are a lot of detectorist up here but have only met one and got a number for another one.

Poor baby. :hello2: :D

Hey, dont feel like the lone stranger. I have found out about ONE up here near me. And thats in this whole NE corner. The times I have detected at the various parks, swimming beaches, etc, I have seen only one person with a detector besides me. And he had just bought a cheapo so he could try to find a ring his daughter had lost the day before. And he would have found it, I did, if he had known how things like that travel he would have likely found it despite not being familiar with his detector. I found it 5 minutes after I started searching for it. 20 feet or so from where he had been searching.

He had just assumed that when it came off his daughters finger while she was running down the path, that it would be near the pathway. THAT was what was frustrating him. I assumed the opposite. That it had been flung off the girls finger and was NOT near the pathway. So I started my search well away on the side of the path of the hand the ring was on. And 5 minutes later had it. The ring had been the grandmothers wedding band. Not worth a huge amount except in sentimental value. It did make me feel good being able to call them and tell them I had found it. A

And when they came and got it, the relief I could see in their eyes was plenty payment.

And Frank. Got the CD yesterday. And thanks for the extra. Every little bit helps. And I might be making a trip over to the VA clinic there in a couple of weeks. So got some stuff to bring you as well. Will let you know what day it will be and we can meet so I can get it to you. Email me your phone number. Not sure if I have it already somewhere, anyway, I can call you the day before and we can set up a time so I can get this stuff to you.

Dan, glad to hear from you and keep in touch and monitor this forum, especially the Colorado section. When we arrange the hunts the posts will be there or in my personal blog area. The guys are a great bunch. Some of the best I have met. Scotty, Con, Jim, Frank. All great guys. And though I havent met them personally, I have heard from a few others in the state that seem like good guys as well. So good hunting and keep swinging that coil and dont get discouraged.

Dennis

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Hey your the one who moved to the sticks of the State lol Glad ya got the CD didn't take long I sent it Monday I think. Extra? Oh you mean the dust no problem LOL Your Welcome wasn't much!

Dan don't believe him we are all troublemakers lol

dhe2

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2009
Arvada, CO
Detector(s) used

No worries, I was in the military, government law enforcement & private security for 20 years. I know how to handle trouble makers!! :help: :laughing7:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

dhe2 said:
No worries, I was in the military, government law enforcement & private security for 20 years. I know how to handle trouble makers!! :help: :laughing7:

OH NO a Mud Puppy! LOL What branch? I was a Army Medic when I worked ER I had a MP who would call and see how busy we were if not busy we would go out on calls. Went on time and snagged a Bobcat took it out in dessert and let loose. Was cool got pics of it. He/she wan't a happy camper though.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now dont you believe Frank. He is the only trouble maker of the bunch. :hello: I swear, by all my goats...thats the truth. And my goats liked Frank...so guess thats not a good recommendation....huh? :headbang: They wouldnt leave him alone. Especially one named Larry. Oddest name for a goat. But guess that suits him...he is an odd goat. Pain in the behind, for sure.
He was scheduled to go to the processor this week. He got repreived. The wife and I decided we didnt have the heart to eat him. So we are going to sell him rather than eat him. Moe, his partner in crime is still going to go to the processor. Goat burger. Tasty!!.

Dan, you also missed out on some mighty good bbq last weekend. Did a Texas style smoked brisket and then some smoked ribs. The brisket was the only meat that wasnt from our own critters. Hey, Frank, I gave you some lamb didnt I? Thought I did. Maybe I didnt. Cant remember. You know us old folks...<laugh>

dhe2

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2009
Arvada, CO
Detector(s) used

Sounds like I missed a great time. Hopefully I'm available to meet up if we put something together in Denver.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

:hello2: Yippee Larry got a repreave. Glad he will live to be a old goat LOL Now don't pick on my buddy lol

Yep I am the troublemaker but I have so much fun doing it lol

Yeah got a pound of lamb burger can't wait to actually have time to try it. Been plum tuckered out from yard work all week.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dhe2 said:
Sounds like I missed a great time. Hopefully I'm available to meet up if we put something together in Denver.

Yea, it was a good time. Lets hope the guys in Denver can top it. :hello: :hello: :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
You listening, Con, Scooter, Jim?????

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
:hello2: Yippee Larry got a repreave. Glad he will live to be a old goat LOL Now don't pick on my buddy lol

Yep I am the troublemaker but I have so much fun doing it lol

Yeah got a pound of lamb burger can't wait to actually have time to try it. Been plum tuckered out from yard work all week.

Yea but it also depends on who buys Larry. :icon_scratch: :help: Alot of goats and such from the sale barn end up going south to Mexico. A decent dairy goat that they buy here for 75 to 100 bucks can be sold in Mexico for 3 or 4 times the money. The quality of the animals from here is far greater than what they have down there. But the mexico buyers target animals that they can buy for 30 bucks or so. They can get a goat that has a medical issue that makes them unusable here in the states for dairy but there is no restriction on that in Mexico, so it will still bring top money down there. Same with chickens. I have sold a bunch of chickens to buyers from there. And some goats before.

And ones like Larry, well, he isnt useful for anything but meat...or as a pack animal. Larry would make a good pack animal once he is full grown. He will be big. Thats likely what he will end up as. He is a pretty animal, and friendly, and almost to the age where he wouldnt be slaughtered. So he has a good chance of ending up as a pack animal down there. I figure he will be bought by one of the Mexican buyers for that.
Keep your fingers crossed. <laugh>

That lambburger makes a great hamburger or is good in SOS or maybe mixed in with pasta and cheese or in another kind of casserole We like to fry it with onions and then mix it in with fried potatos, or eggplant or even with a combo of them.

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

OK now I feel bad for Larry again.

I figure I will use the lamb burger for burgers so I get the full flavor of it without it being mixed with potatoes and such.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
OK now I feel bad for Larry again.

I figure I will use the lamb burger for burgers so I get the full flavor of it without it being mixed with potatoes and such.

No need to feel bad for him. The pack animals are usually well treated since they pay good money for them. And goats as pack animals are valued since they can survive eating cactus and other stuff where a horse or cow would starve to death. And Larry is old enough that he has a good chance of not being butchered. Other than that...he cant be used for breeding...he is missing vital equipment. I took care of that little chore when he was about a month old.

And fixing the lamb for burgers is a good way to get the flavor. And lamb does have a good flavor. The best.
Moe is going for a good cause. And Larry will be ok.

Oh...have you posted any photos of the critters anywhere?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Ok now I feel better about Larry but sure hate to be the first one to bend over in front of him LOL

Nope no critter pics yet but here is one of Larry.

Attachments

• 100_1521.jpg
    100_1521.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 192
OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats Larry alright. And by the way. I did bend over in front of him yesterday. He grabbed hold of my pants pocket and then started backing up......taking me with him. He wanted my pocket. I wanted to keep it. I won. Kinda sorta. I did keep MOST of my pocket. He kept a small chunk. He chewed it like a redneck chewing on a peice of tobaccy.
He almost earned his trip back to the processor with that stunt.

Oh, and Floppsy and Noname are taming down pretty good now. They are letting us pet them now. Noname has decided he likes his back being scratched. And Floppsy likes having her head scratched. If we were going to keep them much longer they would be part of the crew. Wanting to get their own fair share of petting. I have to admit. Floppsy and Noname are pretty animals. Not the multicolor like Larry but they have excellent color and they have great lines. They come from very good stock.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dan (dhe2) and I met up Saturday. We were talking about arranging a hunt around Denver but couldn't think of anything. Today I thought of the site of the state mental hospital in Arvada. I drove by and the weeds are about 18-24 inches. About the only other suggestion I had was the Lowry campus area. The few times I've tried it I just found some recent clad and about all the garbage you can handle. Any other ideas?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

At least it was just your pocket and not some meat. Oh sure the little ones now let someone pet them why couldn't they have done that while we were there lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread