Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

Frank1960 said:
No don't know what I would do with that trailer but sell it and use the money on a new detector ;D

I thought the pistol probe was to big looking but I like the pro pointer except for that thing going off but read somewhere about putting a penny under the cover making the battery make better contact takes care of that so that is what I will do.

Hahahaha...yea...it would bring a pretty penny with all the 1/4 inch plate it is built out of. Thing is built like a tank. Well, you saw that. The widow of the guy said he had built it to haul metal to sell and wanted it sturdy enough to do that. Well, he got his wish. I have hauled two 1-ton round bales at once on it. 4000 pounds on that little trailer and it didnt seem to even notice it.

Well, I got the pistol probe and I do like it. Been air testing it and there times I can pick up something as much as 8 inches away. Now THAT is alot of distance for a little half inch tip.

Tell me about that penny thing. I sold the propointer to Poppa and he emailed me saying that the vibrator wasnt working. It was here, but I didnt take the battery out when I sent it and am wondering if it could be it got dropped in the mail, and the battery isnt making good contact and thus not putting enough power out to get the vibrator going? I dont know. You know it was working, you were with me when I was using it. So putting that penny under the cap should help it make better contact. I figure that should help alot and make the vibrator work. I hope anyway. Dont like selling someone something that doesnt work right when they get it. I have offered him to refund his money, dont know what else I can do. He is going to check with Garrett Monday to see what they say. I know they will fix it if he sends it in. Its only 2 months old. I just hate that he has to do that. <dang> Makes me feel bad, for sure.

I just hate to think that he might think I was trying to sell him a non-working piece of gear. Just worries me. Been stewing over it the last couple of days.
Well, things will work out one way or another. Garrett will fix it I am sure, but even if he does send it to them, I think I will give him part of his money back. He bought a working piece of gear, not something that has to be sent in to get working. I dont know..what do you think?

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I wouldn't scrap it but would sell it right out the way it is and still make a pretty penny off it. Metal prices took a dive again I hear so scrapping it would be a waste of time and of a good trailer. I just figured the goats could climb it again if they had it now you will have to go build them a mountain to fight over lol.

Did he try a new battery? The penny deal might work. Hva ehim try putting a penny under the cap and over the battery and see if that helps along with a new battery before sending it in. Offer to pay the shipping if ya think he will take it.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
I wouldn't scrap it but would sell it right out the way it is and still make a pretty penny off it. Metal prices took a dive again I hear so scrapping it would be a waste of time and of a good trailer. I just figured the goats could climb it again if they had it now you will have to go build them a mountain to fight over lol.

Did he try a new battery? The penny deal might work. Hva ehim try putting a penny under the cap and over the battery and see if that helps along with a new battery before sending it in. Offer to pay the shipping if ya think he will take it.

Yea, but the trailer is officially spoken for in another deal I made. So soon as I finish using it in the move, its gone.

Well, I told him about the penny thing and he said he was going to try it yesterday. But dont know if he did or not. Havent heard.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Ok but now ya got to go make a mound for the goats to play king of lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:

Cept they are all gone now remember. <grin> All but moe went with one lady and her hubby, and moe....well...I figure come Monday, he will be cut and wrapped.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

old_goldchaser said:
Frank1960 said:

Cept they are all gone now remember. <grin> All but moe went with one lady and her hubby, and moe....well...I figure come Monday, he will be cut and wrapped.

No I meant you have to go to their new home and make a mound for them. I knew making one at your place wouldn't matter lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
old_goldchaser said:
Frank1960 said:

No I meant you have to go to their new home and make a mound for them. I knew making one at your place wouldn't matter lol

Heck, thats their new owners problem. When they start climbing the fence to get to their owners cars to climb on cause they didnt put a hill in their pasture...well...they will have to deal with that problem on their own. Like I did. <laugh> Should be getting moe back in a couple of days. Looking forward to moeburgers. I know...there are likely gentle readers of this and going 'eewwwwww" :o . But then they go eat their burgers at their local fast food joint, and/or buy the hamburger at their local grocery with no thought of where the meat came from. Like it originates at the store.
My feeling is...you appreciate what you eat more if you know where it came from and especially have raised it, maybe petted it, or played with it, watched it play, watched it grow up. You become closer to it. It has a different flavor then. And not the kind of flavor that people go "eewwww" over. Dont know how to describe it.

Its like people who look down on hunters for not only hunting and killing "bambi" as one recent newscaster mentioned in Denver, but for daring to eat what they kill. But then go eat their steaks and burgers with no further thought as to where that meat came from. Mass produced, in feedlots..not a good life at all.
But the meat I raised, lived happily, well fed and well cared for. And had a good life. And was and is appreciated.

Sorry about the soapbox speech. Was reading some stuff this morning about some animal rights nuts and what they were saying about farmers and their livestock. Got me a bit hot under the collar.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Yeah those PETA people need to worry about the animals that are actually being abused not those that are raised for food. How about the animals that are being starved, beaten, raised to fight or die they need to spend their time on those people. I'm a animal lover but there are some fights that need to be fought over the stupid little things like killing a cow and eating it or hunting a Deer or Elk then eating. Now those that hunt just to hunt and take the horns or whatever for a trophy and leave the carcus to rot well those need to be fined and taken to court or sent to jail or take hunting licenses away for life.

Moeburgers I like that has a catchy ring to it.

Oh yeah got my Lesche in the mail today that is quite the tool can't wait to give it a try.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Yeah those PETA people need to worry about the animals that are actually being abused not those that are raised for food. How about the animals that are being starved, beaten, raised to fight or die they need to spend their time on those people. I'm a animal lover but there are some fights that need to be fought over the stupid little things like killing a cow and eating it or hunting a Deer or Elk then eating. Now those that hunt just to hunt and take the horns or whatever for a trophy and leave the carcus to rot well those need to be fined and taken to court or sent to jail or take hunting licenses away for life.

I agree with you. But they dont. You have been to my place. Now most of my livestock was already sold and gone by the time you came by, but the animals that were left...did they look or act mistreated? But according to PETA and others like them, if you keep animals for food then you are by their terms an animal abuser. All of my animals, even those I have raised to eventually eat, were and are treated the same and lived and live happy lives. And when they are slaughtered, are done so humanely and yes, with regret that they have to lose their life to feed my family. So much regret, that it has happened, more than once, that I couldnt do it. And they ended up living as pets. Like Larry. Did Larry or any of the goats look underfed? Or unhappy, mistreated, whatever?
Anyone comes to my place can see immediately that I love animals. Prob more so than those PETA as&&holes. I have to be practical and logical about it...something which those PETA idiots arent.

Like you say, there are too many animals that are really mistreated. Those are the ones they need to help. But even PETA has been caught mistreating animals. Like the time that one chapter of theirs got caught stealing puppies from folks and pet stores and such, and then discovered killing them and throwing their bodies in a dumpster. I call THAT more cruel than anything. Those pups never had a chance for a happy life. At least where they were at before being stolen, they had had a chance. Oh well.

One of these days...one of these days.
Moeburgers I like that has a catchy ring to it.

Yea it does, dont it. :tongue3: It just came to me. :laughing9:

Oh yeah got my Lesche in the mail today that is quite the tool can't wait to give it a try.

Ya got a garden in that yard of yours dont ya :dontknow: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: .......<ducking>

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I think Larry must have been underfed he kept wanting to eat Scooters and my cloths lol

No the yard at my "apartment" doesn't have a garden and using it just to dig to just use it isn't any fun lol

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
I think Larry must have been underfed he kept wanting to eat Scooters and my cloths lol

Heck...he tried to mine, Kathy's, anyones that came near. He could have had a full meal of grain... He just liked chewing on clothes...his way of getting your attention. At least he wasnt like Homer, the ram we had for the sheep.
If you didnt pay attention to him, he would just take two or 3 steps and lunge...and you would wind up 5 or 6 paces away on your back...or face...or whatever...depending on if you were facing him or not when he planted the top of his on whatever part of your body that he hit. Photo of 300 pound Homer below and your friendly neighborhood Larry and friends on top of the hay bale in the corral. arry is the little one on top. Was taken in December of last year. You can tell by his collar. He was about 5 months old then. The others, one was Dora and the other one was one that we sold before you got up here along with some others.
No the yard at my "apartment" doesn't have a garden and using it just to dig to just use it isn't any fun lol

Hey, you said you couldnt wait to try it out. You didnt say you needed a reason. :laughing9: :laughing7: :icon_scratch: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4754.JPG
    IMG_4754.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4778.JPG
    IMG_4778.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What was funny, when we got homer 2 years ago, we had to lasso him and then tie his feet together and drag him into the stock trailer because he was so wild. He was big then and was only a year old. 6 months later he was tame as any animals we had. Loved to be petted, loved to have lots of attention. It was only when he went into "musk" I guess you can call it...in the fall that he became very unpredictable. But that is the nature of rams. Doesnt matter how tame and gentle they are. Breeding season they became dangerous. And no kidding, he weighed 300 pounds. All solid muscle. He was a 300 pound battering ram.

I had another ram also at the time, name of One-eye. You can figure out how he got that name. He had only one eye. The other one was put out by some idiot who went shoot arrows at my flock one night. Put an arrow into one ewe and put out One-eye's eye. He did fine though. He adjusted to it. But ended up selling him at the sale barn. He was a big one too. He came in at 288 on the scales that day. For one ram, he brought the most money they had seen a ram bring there. He went for over 300 bucks. Because he was so big and because he was still young...3 years old when we sold him. Even with one eye..he was a good breeder. Guy from Mexico bought him.

And wish we had had Molly when you came up here. You would have loved her. She was our Llama. She was so pretty. And she never spit..or kicked. Very gently lady.

Attachments

• IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 192

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

The goats look like they are having fun on the hay. A friend of mine has llamas but they don't like people and won't come anywhere near us.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
The goats look like they are having fun on the hay. A friend of mine has llamas but they don't like people and won't come anywhere near us.

All in how they are raised. Beleive me. They are independent. Very much so. But they can be great pets. Molly was.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Agreed! I think when she first got them she played with them but over the years she did less and less with them so they just roam the pasture with the cows and horses

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

:icon_thumright: I'm around the Denver,CO area and prefer the mountains and pike national forest looks good. I never been and don't have a detector but am in the market. i read what you said about clubs that is too bad turns out like that but it makes sense. :-\

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold_Striker said:
:icon_thumright: I'm around the Denver,CO area and prefer the mountains and pike national forest looks good. I never been and don't have a detector but am in the market. i read what you said about clubs that is too bad turns out like that but it makes sense. :-\

Welcome to the group. Too bad you couldnt have come to the group hunt when we had it. Was a nice weekend for all. Didnt find a huge amount of stuff but there were some good finds.

You say you dont have a detector just yet but you are in the market. What kind of detector are you wanting to get? Biggest thing is how much you want to spend. Minimum would be around 200.00 to get a good usable detector. And there are some brands of detectors you want to avoid even though they are cheaper. Frank here has an Garrett Acer 250 and I think there is an Acer 350 now too. New they will go for around 250 to 350 depending on assecories and coils, etc. Those would be about the least expensive ones to get and the Acer is a good detector. Actually I was pleasently surprised at how well it does. Frank has found some neat stuff with his. He had mentioned moving up so he might even have his up for sale. If he is following this thread still, he can let you know.

Good luck and again, welcome to the forum and Colorado. If you want some places to detect there are enough of us to point you to some areas. I can tell you some homesteads that you could get to. I am still in Colorado for now.

Good luck

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

:icon_thumright: Thanks alot for the reply. I am in the 300-400 $ range but I may consider paying more if I can get a much bigger advantage over that price range's stats.

I am running a website and this is one of the things I want to learn as a beginner prospector miner. How do we do research I want to nugget shoot and next year dredge if I can afford to at that time. I got the fever for sure especially since I found out gold is the real money and paper is pretty much akin to monopoly money! :hello2: I have well been studying monetary theory and basic economics since this whole mess got going in 08 the movie money masters and all that.

I've also read a little of what can happen to a man once he gets the fever and finds some promising prospects so I will watch out that I don't become like one of those deceitful men.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Welcome Gold_Striker. Nope not ready to sell the ACE no money for a newer one. But if you want a ACE you should go for the newer ACE 350 instead of the 250. I would love to get a GTI2500 or similar one of these days but not for a long time will take me a while to save the money. Unless I find a good ring or a good coin that is lol If your going to do prospecting you should get one that finds gold also.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Welcome Gold_Striker. Nope not ready to sell the ACE no money for a newer one. But if you want a ACE you should go for the newer ACE 350 instead of the 250. I would love to get a GTI2500 or similar one of these days but not for a long time will take me a while to save the money. Unless I find a good ring or a good coin that is lol If your going to do prospecting you should get one that finds gold also.

Thanks for following up with Gold Striker. Hoped you would. Actually, I think he should maybe try to get a used MXT if he can. I have had one before and its a good general purpose detector but is also great on gold since it has the iron mask. He should be able to get a used one in his price range he mentioned. And then he can get more coils as he goes. Since he wants to conentrate on gold, the Ace series might not be where he wants to go. As you said...he should get one that is good on gold. The MXT is great for gold, as are several others but in his price range...one like my minelab Xterra 705 would work well for him. He could select the coils specific for gold or have a combination as I do. But used, if he can find one, the 705 with a high range and then midrange coil would be perfect for him. The high range for gold and the mid for general purpose. And then he could get different sizes in the different frequencies as he wanted. Or he could go for an Excalibur if he wanted to go higher priced. Then he could get in the water also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread