Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I am Arranging a GROUP HUNT for us COLORADO TNer's

Frank1960 said:
Well after getting a bad case of food poisening once I also don't eat things that are old. Most items if they are 2 days over experations date they get tossed. Don't think I would be cooking a dead egg embrio would just toss it.

Is the ground drying out? I see you've been experiencing thunderstorms or chance of them all week. Any rain with them?

Where is the roll call of those coming folks?

Right now...got a total of 4 guys that are coming including you Frank.

Ground is good here. Havent had much of anything the last few days. Ground is drying up fine. Faster than I expected. Grass is coming up TOO good. My yard looks like a dang jungle. I keep trying to encourage the goats out there but they dont like the dog so they stay away...even though the dog is chained right now.

Ya grow a cast iron stomach living all over like I have. And I have lost about 2/3rds of mine.

Waiting on you guys.

Everyone who is coming make sure you let me know.

dennis

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Well since there is just me and the dog anymore,I was hoping to jump in the car and drive out and join you guys.But not going to be able to make it.Hope the weather treats you guys right and you find a ton of great stuff besides having a ball visiting. :thumbsup: to all.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Sorry ya can't come Warsawdaddy!

Glad to hear the weather is mellowing out for us but still got a couple of days before we all leave for the trip and ya know how Colorado is anything could happen.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

warsawdaddy said:
Well since there is just me and the dog anymore,I was hoping to jump in the car and drive out and join you guys.But not going to be able to make it.Hope the weather treats you guys right and you find a ton of great stuff besides having a ball visiting. :thumbsup: to all.

Sorry you cant make it. Looks to be a good weekend. Checked a couple of the sites today. The grass isnt bad on those two. The old schoolhouse site and the church. Will head over to the farmsteads tomorrow and take a look at them. Will take the truck up to them and see if I get stuck. Hopefully not. And got another one to check out. Going to try to have about 6 sites total that everyone can pick from, so no one will be stumbling over anyone else.

Lets hope Colorado doesnt play with us this weekend. I could do with one good weekend.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

being out in the middle of no where I think detecting partners might come in handy. Up to the rest of ya no matter to me.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
being out in the middle of no where I think detecting partners might come in handy. Up to the rest of ya no matter to me.

Partners sound good to me...

We might need a buddy to help carrying that huge cache :laughing7:

What is the total head count Dennis?

I will be in on Friday coming from Denver...

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Headcount so far is 5. Could be more that are coming though but havent posted it. I sent out about 12 sets of directions.

If you plan on tent camping, that is fine. But all are welcome to camp out in our guest house. A/C and kitchen. Might even be some food in the freezer.

Anyway...there isnt much in the way of furniture but its a place to throw your sleeping bag and there is a couch and chair and kitchen table. The stove and fridge work and I think there is a microwave as well. Anyway...you guys are welcome to just stay there. Thats going to be our meeting place and I will be putting some camping chairs and such in there and any spare chairs I have. And I think I might have a bed I can put in there as well.

AND there is a radio I think. No TV, sorry...but you're campting.. :laughing7:

Things are looking good. Had storms all around but none over us so everything is pretty dry. Even my pond has dried up. So things are good. Keep all your fingers crossed.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Great to hear Dennis everyday I look here almost expecting a cancelation due to the storms near ya.

From what people tell me I snore pretty bad so my staying outside might be a better idea LOL

Sounds like the only worry now is actually driving there but leaving middle of day on Friday should miss most of the fools out driving. Not counting those that might be going to the hunt with us LOL

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Great to hear Dennis everyday I look here almost expecting a cancelation due to the storms near ya.

From what people tell me I snore pretty bad so my staying outside might be a better idea LOL

Sounds like the only worry now is actually driving there but leaving middle of day on Friday should miss most of the fools out driving. Not counting those that might be going to the hunt with us LOL

There are 4 bedrooms and the basement. So unless your snoring is so loud as to shake the house....I think you are safe. :)

Plus, I always found that a pail of water was a quick end to snoring. :laughing7:

Or the old warm pail of water...sleepers hand in warm water....sudden desire to head to the bathroom to change clothes. :hello2: :tongue3: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, those of you coming today, Read

Ok guys, the day has arrived. I will be PMing those that have told me they are coming. I have a new Cell number so if you need to call me in case you get lost or need further directions once you get out this way you can get in touch with me.

Looking forward to some good hunting this weekend. Take care everyone and have a safe trip.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

:hello2: YAHOOOOOOOOOO! :hello2: Here I come and I hope there are plenty of goodies to dig LOL Last post until Monday from me see ya all at the hunt

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who came.

wanted to say thanks to all of your who showed up this weekend. It was a great hunt even though good finds were scattered. Everyone had fun.
Thanks to CON, SCOTTY, FRANK and JIM. I enjoyed meeting you guys and enjoyed the time we spent together on the hunt and the long talks we all had both evenings.

And our goats enjoyed your company as well, Scott and Frank. :laughing7: In fact, they were over there at the door of the house looking for you this afternoon. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: They miss you.

I couldnt have expected a better bunch of guys. I talk alot..and it shows when I write, but I dont always know what to say. Just happy to meet you guys and hope we can all get together again for another hunt. Next time when my back is fully healed up. But it was still a good hunt. And thanks to you Frank, for helping me this morning. We are the KINGS. I wont say of what. :notworthy: Wait a minute...yes I will. We are the KINGS of junk. Sorry...couldnt resist. :laughing7:

Thanks again, to all of you.

Dennis

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Thanks to all who came.

old_goldchaser said:
wanted to say thanks to all of your who showed up this weekend. It was a great hunt even though good finds were scattered. Everyone had fun.
Thanks to CON, SCOTTY, FRANK and JIM. I enjoyed meeting you guys and enjoyed the time we spent together on the hunt and the long talks we all had both evenings.

And our goats enjoyed your company as well, Scott and Frank. :laughing7: In fact, they were over there at the door of the house looking for you this afternoon. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: They miss you.

I couldnt have expected a better bunch of guys. I talk alot..and it shows when I write, but I dont always know what to say. Just happy to meet you guys and hope we can all get together again for
another hunt. Next time when my back is fully healed up. But it was still a good hunt. And thanks to you Frank, for helping me this morning. We are the KINGS. I wont say of what. :notworthy: Wait a minute...yes I will. We are the KINGS of junk. Sorry...couldnt resist. :laughing7:

Dennis

Dennis,
What a weekend filled with Great People, Great Food, Great Fun, and of course Great Hospitality :icon_thumright:

Like you said "the finds were scattered", but I feel the weekend was so much more than just swinging and digging. It was great to see so many places/things to remind us of the past and how it was.

It was also great to have our own personal petting zoo for the weekend and I think Frank will agree with me that the goats went all out to put on quite a show to keep us entertained ;D

Thanks again for your families great hospitality,

Scooter,

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Agreed Scooter. Thanks for a wonderfull weekend Dennis. It was great meeting a few of the guys from around here and the chance of just seeing those old places was great the opertunity of swinging our coils there was worth the trip.

It was great seeing how some other detectors worked and to see their finds. I found out just how much of a rookie I am by all the trash that was in my bag and the lack of trash that was in the other guys bags.

For those guys who couldn't make it ya missed out on one heck of a spread. Dennis is a master at the BBQ and set a great dinner spread for us guys that was awesome.

I think on of the goats sort of fell for Scooter but I don't think he will admit it LOL They did put on a great show and had us laughing a lot.

Hope we can all get together again sometime.

Thanks again for the hospitality Dennis your a great host!

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I wish I could have stayed for the BBQ. I was getting some bad allergies by the end of Saturday and today I was really miserable so I probably would have been a drag to the group anyway. That is beautiful country. Thanks again Dennis.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the compliments guys. The weekend was great and the thing about this hobby is that much of it is about the history that we get to see and sometimes lucky enough to hold in our hands. The silver and other money finds are great, but the history is also in those finds like the buttons that were found and the token that you found Scooter. And Frank found a neat compact case cover at the school site. There was just alot of history found. My favorite find, the old medicine bottle. Intact and laying right on top of the ground. The relics we all found this weekend that brought the past alive made it worth it. That and the other big plus of this hobby. The friends that are brought together. And the new friends.

And Jim, yea..wish you could have stayed for the BBQ too, but we all understood. My elder son has alergies bad, and I have problems with them on occasion, so I know especially what you go through. Its no fun. There will be other times. And you are welcome to come up here anytime.

Glad the rest of ya liked the food. Helps having owned a small cafe in the past. I will admit to being known in the area for my cooking. If ya dont mind me patting myself on my own back. Up until last year I did still occasionally cook for weddings and other such gatherings. Cooking for 12 or 15 is a walk in the park after cooking for 250 plus people.

Frank, I wasnt thinking, should have cut you off some more of that leftover brisket to take home with you. You could've eaten sandwiches all week on it. We only ate about a third of it. I know you got what was over there but could have taken more. Course, the way my sons love brisket it wont last long anyway.

And Scooter....I think Pixie is pineing for you. And Larry was spotting wandering around looking lost. I think he was missing chewing on your shirt.

And guys...we were lucky for this hunt. This evening we got hit with about 2 inches of rain and 60mph winds. Knocked down a tree out in front. Maybe just finished what that wind two weeks ago started.
Anyway, its a swamp outside now. And you can imagine what the fields are like. But in a day or two if no more rain, things were dry enough that it will make for some nice hunting. I think I might try hitting that school site where the playground area was in a couple of days if we dont get more rain. And if my back cooperates. If it doesnt...well...I got two sons with strong backs. I will just shanghi one of them. :headbang:

conlaodh

Dec 10, 2007
Denver
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505, Explorer II
Re: Thanks to all who came.

old_goldchaser said:

I couldnt have expected a better bunch of guys. I talk alot..and it shows when I write, but I dont always know what to say. Just happy to meet you guys and hope we can all get together again for another hunt. Next time when my back is fully healed up. But it was still a good hunt. And thanks to you Frank, for helping me this morning. We are the KINGS. I wont say of what. :notworthy: Wait a minute...yes I will. We are the KINGS of junk. Sorry...couldnt resist. :laughing7:

Dennis

Great food, good people, a weekend away from the city, swinging my detector, making some nice finds, what more could I ask for.
I really enjoyed the weekend, meeting Scooter, Frank, Jim and of course our good hosts Dennis and his family.
Thanks Dennis for the great weekend, your hospitality and all the good food, hope we can meet up again sometime.
Con

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Yeah with your two boys that meat won't last long. No worries though I got enough for 3 days of meals I think unless I get piggy and eat more than I should lol

Hope the tree didn't fall on anything important! We got a little rain and hail here in Evans but didn't last for long.

Oh that compact case cover was put in your butter tub with the coins you showed us figured I would leave it there.

I rechecked that nickel I found it is a 1943 not a 46 like we thought I used a eye loupe to look at it closer.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank1960 said:
Yeah with your two boys that meat won't last long. No worries though I got enough for 3 days of meals I think unless I get piggy and eat more than I should lol

Hope the tree didn't fall on anything important! We got a little rain and hail here in Evans but didn't last for long.

Oh that compact case cover was put in your butter tub with the coins you showed us figured I would leave it there.

I rechecked that nickel I found it is a 1943 not a 46 like we thought I used a eye loupe to look at it closer.

Yea, these two boys do sure eat. Problem is, they are the quick food generation..if it cant be grabbed out of the freezer all ready to be nuked, they dont cook it. Cooking is becoming almost a lost art anymore except for those that enjoy it or treat it as a hobby. So many people cant visualize cooking anything that doesnt come in a box in the freezer or a can. At least those in their 20's and younger. Cooking something from the basic ingredients is something they rarely do. I even find myself being lured by the siren call of the fast food.
Fortunately...not too called. :icon_sunny:

That penny was a nice find. Another war penny. Con found one and I think Scooter found a couple of them. That indian penny of Cons was a nice find. I hope once he gets it cleaned up good he will put a photo up of it. 1902...that was great.

That school site was the best of the bunch it seems. And you know there are a bunch more to find there. But it will take a lot of time with them being so scattered. With the area having been leveled so much dirt with the finds in them were moved all over the place and maybe buried too deep for even todays detectors. Look at the stuff we were detecting and dug down 12 inches and more. I was surprised at how deep that Etrac was finding stuff. Once I started trusting what it was telling me that is...and I put it back in factory mode and stopped messing with the settings. That was my mistake Saturday and why I got so frustrated. I had changed the settings to what I "thought" they should be rather than based on experience with the detector.

And Frank, dont put down your skill with that detector of yours. That is a good detector and you made some good finds with it. Sure, you dug alot of junk..so did I....and us...<laugh> That ability to leave what you dont want comes with time spent with the detector. I was amazed myself at Cons ability with his explorer. And Scooter did great with his DFX even though he hasnt had it that long. And I have been detecting since the 70's actually. That was when I bought my first detector. I guess it was about 75. It was the most useless piece of store bought #$%^&*. If I remember right...I got it at Sears. I dont even remember the make or model. Cost me 30 bucks I think, or maybe a bit more.

But this weekend I felt like a beginner with Con, Scooter and Jim. So I know how you felt. Those guys have taken their skill and with their detectors...LEARNED their detectors and that is just through many hours of use.
Hours of use on the Etrac which I dont have yet. I AM determined though. I am not changing detectors anymore. I am going to learn the ones I have. But I did like Jim's V3i. THAT detector did impress me. He is still learning it himself. Since they have the upgrade out they look to have fixed the problems so many reported in the original. That is what I was waiting for and why, even though I was wanting to get one, why I didnt. But with the upgrade...I am sorely tempted. But I dont want to get rid of any of the detectors I have...I need to learn them... Scooter said..just add it...but dang guys... I got too many now. Now the Xterra I have, I know and have learned and trust it. And its a great detector. But I forced myself to stay with the etrac this weekend so I could learn it.

I did start learning though Sunday, with your help guys. Getting out and comparing readings with Con's and then seeing what he dug.. And with Scooter too. Well, I learned more in a couple of hours with your all of your help than I could have in weeks on my own, I think. It did help me become alot more comfortable with it than I had expected.

Hey Scooter, I was really surprised that the scales on your DFX 300 and my Etrac were almost the same. The readings you would get would match me more often than not. I hadnt expected that. I mean, that one penny you found, the readings were identical to what I got. The numbers were exactly the same. I think they were 11-38 or something like that.

And guys...I guess I am going to have to check my butter bucket and see what you left there. I hadnt looked in there yet. But if you guys did what I think you did...I am going to kick your butts the next time we get together. :notworthy: But I will say thanks. And I will pay you back...one way or another. :hello:

I will be down in the Denver area in about a month, maybe a bit more. We should schedule something then. You guys know that area better than I do, for sure. And I would really enjoy doing some hunting at one of the older parks or maybe we can research out an old site that we could get to.

And maybe in September we can get together up on my cousins ranch. That would be a neat 2 or 3 days. Old rustic cabins to stay in and some nugget shooting or ore finding. There are a couple of old gold mines on the place as well as alot of history. I do know they have, or had anyway, some old 1915's and 20's auto hulks up in the hills above the ranch proper. I dont know if anyone has ever detected there. I will have to ask him. But I think that would be a great weekend to spend before the wife and I leave out on our travels this fall.
What do you say guys? Should we maybe try to set that up? Would have to keep it a small number. Half a dozen or so.

Well, looks like I got long winded again...well...long typing... So guess this is enough for now.
Thanks for the great weekend guys. I am glad you guys enjoyed it. I know I did. And the help you guys gave me learning that Etrac I really did appreciate. It made a BIG difference.

Dennis

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Did ya breath while typing that Dennis? LOL I'll vote for the trip to the cabins! I think it would be a blast to not only detect the area but also to sleep in real old time cabins....ya let me know how those are I will sleep in camper. LOL Just kidding I'll sleep in cabin also just not the one with the big hole in the side lol

Tell your boys if that meat goes bad because they didn't eat it you won't cook for them ever again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread