HELP ! Need local info on Canon City area

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Came here to Canon Colorado last week in hope of meeting a couple of guys to do some panning and learn sluice techniques on a claim at Cripple Creek. Didn't work out though... now I'm sitting in Cannon completely clueless. I have heard from a couple of locals 4 mile Creek might be worth checking out, or maybe Currant Creek up Hwy.9 West of Cannon. Does anyone know anything about either of these creeks and which one might be better ? Problem is all i'm hearing is there, "might be" something there "might not". Haven't talked with anyone with any REAL experience. Monday i'm headed to the local BLM office in Cannon to try getting some claim information on these creeks. Maybe contact somebody local that way, or at least find out where i'm allowed to pan and what's claimed and what's not.

From what i've read on the internet, Cannon is not a very good area for panning. All i'll get from the Arkansas River and Texas Creek is a ton of black sand. There are no pay-to-pan operations anywhere in the vicinity. You have to go West of Denver for that. Loads of em' there. One pay-to-pan located at Fairplay, but i was hoping i didn't have to go that far just to see some color.

Since i'm visually impaired and can't drive, i'm relying on rides to get where i'm going. I have money to pay for gas, so getting lifts is usually no problem. My BIGGEST problem is i don't know WHERE TO GO. I can't even decide on a direction yet, more less a destination. All i know so far is East or South are definately out of the question. Can anyone help ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions