Animas Forks Ghost Town

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wife and I are planning a trip to there this summer. She's heavily into photography and we both detect and pan a little. Does anyone know if we can camp (with tent) alont the river just south of town and pan/sluce in the Animas River? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Also can we detect around the structures?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wife and I are planning a trip to there this summer. She's heavily into photography and we both detect and pan a little. Does anyone know if we can camp (with tent) alont the river just south of town and pan/sluce in the Animas River? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Also can we detect around the structures?
Thanks!

Hi,
Animas Forks is on land managed by the BLM. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animas_Forks,_Colorado Check with them.
The guys I know in the Uncompahgre Treasure Club in Montrose all tell me the BLM does not tolerate metal detecting for artifacts, that if you're caught, expect a lot of grief; for example confiscation of your equipment, plus a fine, etc.

OP
OP
K

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Cochetopa......I see we can't md but it looks like we can camp and pan along the river. I think I'll need to get a permit to sluice but not sure yet where to get it.

OP
OP
K

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blm is PUBLIC LANDS (multi-use), not national park or state park or private property. check for claims in the area you plan to prospect, the claimant owns the minerals, but you can still camp, hunt, graze cattle or what ever on said claim except prospect. blm doesn't have the authority to confinscate property.

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
K

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Cochetopa, I have a call into Lori Armstrong at BLM Montrose. I just want to get the correct info so we don't get in trouble.

OP
OP
K

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My wifes paying hobby is photography. I make all the frames and she does the shooting so to speak. We were up near that area about 7 years ago and want to go back and camp several days so she can get some early morning and late evening photo's and I can pan for gold. We'll take our dog so everyone will hopefully have a great time. Maybe there won't be any phone service also! That would be a plus.

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wifes paying hobby is photography. I make all the frames and she does the shooting so to speak. We were up near that area about 7 years ago and want to go back and camp several days so she can get some early morning and late evening photo's and I can pan for gold. We'll take our dog so everyone will hopefully have a great time. Maybe there won't be any phone service also! That would be a plus.

Hi,
I believe you are doing right by telephoning the BLM and asking them directly. Some of my friends told me on the San Miguel River on the west side of the Uncompahgre Plateau, you can't take gravel for panning from anyplace but in the riverbed itself, like you have to be out there in it wading... The BLM will issue you a citation if you take material from the river bank for panning or slucing. Heaven forbid you should take gravel from ancient streambed material exposed higher up on the canyon slope!:BangHead:
Good luck.
-C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread