Detecting Buddy/Mentor

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a detecting buddy/mentor in the northern front range... I'm in Longmont, and just got started detecting. I'm self-teaching at this point, so having someone who might be able to give me some pointers in the field or critique me would be nice. I have a few spots, and am working on some more... Let me know!

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MARCO....

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looking for a detecting buddy/mentor in the northern front range... I'm in Longmont, and just got started detecting. I'm self-teaching at this point, so having someone who might be able to give me some pointers in the field or critique me would be nice. I have a few spots, and am working on some more... Let me know!
I'm at a spitting distance from you in Niwot.
I just got my new AT Pto Metal Detector.
I already have some experience in using a detector just enough to know what I'm doing.
What kind of detector do you have?

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a Titan 1000XD (a rebadged BountyHunter Discovery 1000). I picked it up cheap on CL to see if it was something I would enjoy. And I have found I do... Now I just have to hope that Santa is good to me this year and brings me the XLT I'm asking for.

And I would say I have reached the point where I know enough to know that I don't know enough... :laughing7:

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did Santa bring your XLT? I wish the weather would cooperate, but it may be a while now.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but my birthday is at the end of this month, so I'm hoping it comes then... I haven't been out much because it is either cold or muddy. Taking advantage of the ice fishing while it is around.

SeekerMD

Greenie
Dec 31, 2013
Wellington, CO.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hello August,
I am in Ft. Collins and have really just started MDing in this past year. It would be great to buddy up and dig some holes. Send a note and we'll see. If not happy hunting.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Seeker. I'm still struggling to get access to any properties/areas that are good... I have all the local parks and stuff, but I'm hoping maybe once things thaw out I can try and check out some ghost towns up in the hills.

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Coloradoans,
I'm so new to detecting that I haven't even started yet. :laughing7: Planning to get started in May. I live in Denver.
I've been reading about drained lakes and ponds. Anyone checking those out?

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. Get started while the weather is on the cool side. It can get hot detecting in the summer. Where were you reading about drained lakes and ponds? The last one I remember was Berkley a couple of years ago.

Hi Coloradoans,
I'm so new to detecting that I haven't even started yet. :laughing7: Planning to get started in May. I live in Denver.
I've been reading about drained lakes and ponds. Anyone checking those out?

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestion about detecting before the weather gets too hot, TabWhisperer. I am keeping that in mind, too.

I read the articles about Berkeley Lake from a few years ago, when it was drained for some road construction-related work. I haven't been there yet, but GoogleMaps shows it looking pretty much full of water now.

I read some articles about Bonny Lake being permanently drained two years ago to send water to Kansas. Anyone know if the lake bed is accessible? It's part of a state park, so does anyone know about permissions to detect there?

Then, because I'm a data nerd, I started looking at Bureau of Reclamation data about drought-impact on water levels in the big reservoirs (out-of-state) fed by the Colorado River --
and I'm hunting around online for similar data about low water levels in lakes and ponds on public land in Colorado...
such as ...
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/current/?type=flow

Last edited:

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost track of Bonny. Plus that is a real long drive. I did happen to stop by one of the lakes near Ordway last summer. It had very little water. I think Colorado Springs had bought most of the water rights in that valley so now lakes are dry and farms are gone. Just for yucks we tried detecting around the dry lake shore. Just a few sinkers and a real hard surface. Not to mention no shade and a hot day. At least we found a place with ice cream in town.

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I emailed a contact on the Denver Parks & Rec website today:

Me> Is metal detecting allowed in Denver Parks?
P&R> Yes, just no digging, poking with a screwdriver is ok. Thanks for checking. Have a great day!

xd

Oct 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I'm in Denver, I have been doing some research on ghost towns. Have a jeep, a detector and the summer off. Let me know f you guys want to do anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread