khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Late 1800's Robbery

I received this lead from a friend and can't seem to find anything on it in my Colorado books. Does anyone have any info on it they'd care to share? Maybe we could team up on it.
"Phantom Canyon, located between Victor and Canon City, Colorado. In the late 1800's a band of outlaws held up the express station in Victor and made their escape down Phantom Canyon with a posse in hot pursuit. The posse cornered the outlaws and shot them in the gun battle that took place, but the loot was not with them…possibly buried in Phantom Canyon. No clue as to amount they got away with."
I found the canyon on maps but can't seem to find anythin in my reference materials.
Thanks!

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this tidbit. I found a couple of sites that may have had an old news article archived but they were pay sites.

During the summer of 1897, four men hijacked five iron chests of gold bullion from a moving train 10 miles south of Victor , Co. The train was on its regular run from the Victor stamp mill to Denver, Co. The four train robbers were killed shortly thereafter in a running gunfight with pursuing lawmen, but none of the gold was recovered. Posse members made a rough search of the area at the time, but there was no sign of the stolen gold. For years afterward, prospectors and treasure hunters searched for the hidden loot, but it has never been reported found.

OP
OP
K

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have that account in several books but it's different than the account I received from a friend. His account states they robbed an express station in Victor.

Zebby

May 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please Provide Titles

Please provide a list of these books. I am searching for true stories about HWY 67 in CO. My wife and I did this drive. Later we met a retired guard at the prison who knew a stage coach robber. This meeting was a couple of decades ago, but pops up in my mind every so often. Thanks.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought about this a great deal. 5 iron chests are heavy. They would have been stashed near the train. The article I read said the bandits were all killed. It seems it would have been found by now. I'm sure the authorities checked everything. I believe the authorities found the gold and did not tell anyone. Just my take. My dowsing rods point that way, but haven't followed them. Hope you find it!!! Zebby, the story is online, search Colorado treasure tales. If you go searching give me a PM. I've scouted the areas. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread