beginner miner / prospector looking for advice

txtwister69

Jun 18, 2016
san marcos, tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a 20 acre placer claim and a 45 acre gulch placer claim. The 45 acres are virgin ground it has several old historic mines above it and below it was line bucket dredgging on french creek. The 20 acres are also historical it has a old miners grave. I have done lots of research on the area and bought books and maps of the area around my claims. One more thing the 45 acre gulch placer has a stream that starts at 13,000' and runs down to french creek 10,000' there are tailings all over the valley floor. I don't get to go up to colorado but once to twice a year for a couple of days.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start with the old tailings, then look for signs of hand stacking where the old timers were working down to bedrock. Look for gold where it has been found in the past. Good Luck!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Best thing I can tell you is sample, sample, sample! Don't assume that just because you found gold in one spot, it'll be 10' away from you in every direction...or even 5' away.

Start with areas closest to bedrock, but definitely don't overlook higher areas that may have been an upper level stream at some time.

Do you have water on site? If not, maybe getting a recirc system would be the way to go. Have you worked any this ground yet?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live about a 20 minute drive from French Gulch and would be happy to walk the claim with you to suggest areas to sample first. Just let me know!

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a fellow beginner I can't give any particularly insightful advice but I do want to say that's a great area to have a claim!

One day I want to get a claim of my own out in Summit Co.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions