Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnnybravo300
  • 1 Post By WaterScoop
  • 1 Post By Tiredman
  • 1 Post By treasure_hunter_2004
  • 1 Post By Johnnybravo300

Thread: The Mysterious Treasure of Deadman Cave

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2018
    Pensacola
    None
    5 times
    Prospecting

The Mysterious Treasure of Deadman Cave

I have researched this elusive treasure for awhile now. I find W.C. Jameson's account to be fascinating. If anyone in Colorado would like to partner up on this particular treasure, please contact me. Here is a summary:

"There is one cave in the Sangre de Cristo Range, however, that is much, much more. Deep inside this cave lies an unbelievable large cache of gold ingots, all bearing marks of a Spanish smelter. How this gold, millions of dollars worth of it, came to be stored in this cave is a mystery that has never been solved."

Basically three men who were all geologists and avid prospectors from Silver Cliff were out prospecting. The weather turned bad so they sought shelter under a ledge high in a canyon. They waited there awhile until they spotted an opening across the canyon on the other side. They all crossed to it and found a natural tunnel that went in twenty feet. They entered into a small chamber and soon found another tunnel in the back. This one led to a huge chamber for which their only flashlight could not illuminate. They went back outside and gathered wood and made a fire in the large chamber which illuminated the space enough to explore. The first thing found was a skull. They next found a half collapsed tunnel which they followed into another small chamber. Against the far wall the found a large pile of what they believed to be rocks. They ran a torch over the pile of objects. There was a heavy layer of dust that suggested the pile had been there for many centuries. They discovered the entire stack consisted of gold bars. They counted 400 of them and noticed each was imprinted with a Christian cross topped with an inverted carat. One of the men had noticed there were two more passageways leading from the large chamber. Their flashlight was fading so they each took a gold ingot and left the cave planning to return soon. When they made it back to Silver Cliff they had the bars assayed and learned that each was worth $900.00 in gold. They also learned the imprinting was of Spanish origin. They learned the last known mining by Spanish in that area was 400 years ago. All three men sold their gold bars to fund a return trip to the cave. (Here comes the rub) Since the winter season had set in they decided to wait for Spring. They set out again in April. As the snow had been melting they became disoriented as they climbed to the higher canyons. Trails split off in many directions and they finally had to admit after many days of searching that could not find the cave or the ledge they sheltered under. After two years of searching the three admitted defeat and gave up the search. The evidence being the gold ingots was witnessed by many. Many have tried to search but there have been no reports of discovery after this time. Somewhere around 13,000 feet lies a fortune just waiting to be claimed.
    There are no excuses, only results.

endentured aka Frank

us
    Jan 2016
    North Saguache county between Gunnison and Monarch Pass
    F2
    1405 times
    Prospecting
    I've read that one. Could have be covered by a landslide possibly, or is still there waiting for me!
    endentured likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden Max, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3215 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3CEBD46-8E64-44C1-B2CC-5D1DCE7FA050.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	1533721

Name:	9D2A16E2-757C-407C-8E44-141EC403486B.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	1533722

Welcome to our forum. I wish we would be closer geographically I would .

Awesome story

Name:	33C46F59-3366-4B6E-B94B-85673F6D1ED9.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	1533723
    endentured likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Oct 2016
    412 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Check and see if it was covered in the newspapers, then if any names are used in the story, search for those names in old newspaper archives.
    endentured likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    Pensacola
    None
    5 times
    Prospecting
    I live pretty far from Colorado right now, but plan a ten day prospecting trip in the summer of '19. I'll be following up on all the research then. Maybe you would like to partner up for that trip? I'll be looking for old mines or that elusive quartz and gold vein.

endentured aka Frank

us
    Jan 2018
    Pensacola
    None
    5 times
    Prospecting
    The three geologists are named in Jameson's book. I hope to run into one of them, but doubt they are still alive. There are several versions of this story btw.

endentured aka Frank

Oct 2016
    412 times
    Well run a check on those names! There is a chance you might find nothing on them. I have discovered some names added to some Montana stories, failed to turn up with train robberies.

Oct 2016
    412 times
    And yes many stories have several versions.

us
    May 2014
    Tesoro Compadre
    113 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Please don’t waste your time with this, I have already found this!
    RGINN likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    North Saguache county between Gunnison and Monarch Pass
    F2
    1405 times
    Prospecting
    I remember something about after the storm cleared, they had a view of a few different prominent landmarks from the cave. A buddy of mine has a line of sight mapping app that narrows it down but still a big area to find a small cave opening. Best we could do was triangulate from their description to get a guess but we haven't been there yet.
    I have too many of these I'm working on putting together haha. If I could find one it would finance the rest!
    There's a gulch up the road from me called snowblind and two prospectors died there one winter. They were digging POUNDS of gold from the report but got greedy and stayed too long into winter. They were found in spring but no one has found their dig site. Another legend on the back burner to dream about!
    endentured likes this.

Oct 2016
    412 times
    I have been enjoying what you folks are sharing, thanks

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links