jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did this Girl do anything besides Text ?

Where did she Find the time ? :D

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) -- A cell phone used by a Wyoming 13-year-old to run up a nearly $5,000 phone bill will text no more thanks to her angry father and his hammer. Dena Christoffersen of Cheyenne sent or received about 20,000 text messages over about a month, and her parents' phone plan didn't cover texting.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ODD_PHONE_BILL?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I saw that, if I remember right, they figured she sent and received over 700 a day. That's why my daughter still doesn't have a cell phone. I told her when she can pay for it, she can have one

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Think these days All kids
Should have a Cell Phone.

But the Companies should make them
so Those they can call Are Limited
to 911 & 3 Emergency Numbers

Example : Mother, Father & 1 other Trusted Person.
can be called or call in.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandaughter was here last weekend and we couldn't even talk to her for her being busy texting. Her dad refused to buy her a cell phone, but her estranged mom bought her one trying to get into her good graces pending a court hearing. She is 11. She needs a cell phone like I need a hole in the head....well another hole in the head! I try to stay out of their business, but this is bordering on the rediculous. My ex tried that kind of stuff with my oldest son and it messed him up for ages. I hate to see her go the same path. Parents living apart are a shame but that's what our society is coming to now days. Monty

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
they do market one cell phone that is built around emergency only stuff. It's targeted for elderly use, they call it the Jitterbug

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I think some if not all cell phone companies are exploiting kids. They could I'm sure offer parents a way to limit what numbers a child can call or text or even build in limits for say texting. But no way they'll do that because that's probably a major share of their business is from kids texting or phoning Boyfriends etc....

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Cell companies charge way too much for texting. It uses a fraction of the network space as a phone call, and yet they want an exponential amount of money for it.
Anthony

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
They've changed a few things over the years. Back a number of years ago, the wife and daughter had cells that they could talk all day long with no extra charges. When the daughter was in the St. Louis Shriner's Hospital, they would talk back and forth. The daugher was there about a month and the next month I got the bill...$700 +. Turned out that she was just outside the calling area by about 3 blocks. The phone co. charged roaming both ways. >:(

Parents say their kids never talk anymore. Maybe they should try texting them instead. LOL

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I use a cricket phone, unlimited usage, no minute fees, same bill every month

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
att has a plan where you can limit the times that they can use the phone and you can block out numbers that you don't want them to call.you can look on on the internet to see who they are calling or texting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread