Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baseball has always been very important here in Dingle. We have always had town teams, some good, some bad but the boys of summer here in Dingle have always represented themselves on the diamond.

There have been a number of baseball fields around Dingle. Some I got to play on, others I didn’t. But anywhere people gather or used to gather are spots the metal detectorist wants to hunt.

So today I got myself stirring after breakfast, broke wind and belched, and went down to the site of the 1920s-1950s field. Of course I wasn’t expecting a whole lot. I never saw the location as a baseball field. There was a house on the site as long as I could remember and now there are 2 of them plus a house trailer not to mention some sheds where they keep a cow and some horses so I will not mention these.

I know they guy that sort of runs the place so I knocks on the door and asks if I can detect and he tells me I can, just watch out for the lower fence because it is electrified. I was willing to take him at his word and did not intend to pee on the wire to see if that was true or not.

Now coming off the bank by the road was a nice little patch of level ground but the guy who originally built the first house on the site used to raise rabbits and I remembered this is where he kept his hutches so I knew that leveled ground had nothing to do with the property once being a baseball field. So I moved on down the yard to where everything as fairly level, figuring is here where the field started, meaning the infield or at least hope so.

Right away my machine starts going nuts and I am getting these crazy numbers. There is signals left and right. So I figured I better dig these. Got a couple of 22 casings and one from an .303. Then I remembered the son of the house’s owner was quite a shooter and was always popping guns off around the property. I was to find a good sized number of spent casings today.

Right next to a pile of road apples I got a good signal and pulled out a wheat backed penny. A little further down a found an old bottle cap, but one with a small [22 sized] bullet hole through it. I thought there got to be some silver around here someplace so I kind of worked my way around one of the horse sheds and at a spot where they stacked manure over winter I got a strong hit and sure enough I got a Mercury dime. I started working the ground in one direction, then went back over it from another direction and picked out a few more hits. I picked up 2 more wheats, another Mercury dime, a standing Liberty quarter and a war nickel. I also found my share of junk, mostly bullet casings and a few nails and a couple of whatever it is.

So all in all I had a pretty good day. I could tell it was going to be hot as I was sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant with the dinner crowd reading the menu. I am going to go back there again one of these days and see what else I can find. There’s got to be more silver there.

One thing I learned sure as Boo-Boo’s butt, the old field was deeper into the property that I thought all these years. The footage along the road must have been for parking and sparking. There was a short left field porch and right and right center must have been known as Death Valley.

I knew men who played and managed on that field, of course they are all dead now except one. It was kind of neat digging history from those days of Dingle. Down at the Dingle firehouse they have trophies won by the team. It’s a rather impressive case with those old tarnished trophies.

I used to have a baby sitter who used to talk about watching games there, her dad played and she sold sodas from a tub with blocks of ice and water providing the coolant. She’s dead now too but she died an untimely death as the result as an infection from heart surgery, the same surgery I went through in ’08. Contrary to popular opinion I survived.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread