Ever make a spitwad shooter from an elderberry stem ?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Well , in grade school , we all did .
Cut a short section of elderberry stem , hollow out the soft pith center , and then shave down a wild cherry limb with your 'dollar Barlow'pocket knife for a push rod . Chew up a good notebook paper spitwad and shove it halfway up the bore . Chew up another and start it in behind that one . Hold firmly in one hand and shove the pushrod vigosly with the other to expell the first wad with a satisfying 'POP'.
That expelled wad would have sufficient density and velocity to raise a welt on bare skin at 20 feet .
With sufficient practice , you could kill flies at 10 feet .
Beginning of the 3rd grade in our new Eisenhour school in 1958 we got a new teacher , Ms Elizabeth
Sams . Three stool woman , if you understand what I mean about how many stools her posterior could cover . Sweat a lot in the afternoon in that unairconditioned classroom . Late in the day she would just have to take a break . She'd plop into her swivel chair , lean back , and just spraddle her legs under her open front desk .
By the 3rd grade all us boys knew enough to 'cop a look' at that little white triagle of panties under a girl's skirt if we got the chance . WOW!
This look , to me , sitting the second row back ; behind Billy Clutter (who was always in trouble) was
like looking at the back of a diaper on a 2yr old baby's butt .
So , I leaned out a bit and shot it with my popgun . Dead Center Hit !
She and her swivel chair on wheels flew backward until she banked off the chalkboard behind her .
That's when she out jumped a young antelope over her desk , grabbing her paddle on the way , to land flatfooted in front of the innocent Billy Clutter .
Billy had just begun to laugh at her strange antics when she landed there and began to beat the 'cow walkin crap' out of him for what she was sure he had done .
I was not a hero that day . Good shot , yep . Tell her Billy didn't do it ...... I don't think so ........

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was the Billy most of the time in school. Had a rep for raising hate & discontent. Had the title of best & most practical jokes for three years in a row. So if the spitwad hit the blackboard guess where the finger was pointed ::) At the end of the school year my elementry school teacher would pull out the drawer of her desk where she kept all the toys slingshots beanshooters etc etc & give them back on the last day before summer break. 6th grade she brought the drawer and placed it on my desk and said take whats yours and gove the other two kids their stuff.

We had an English teacher Mr. **** who was about 4'2", gray hair, kinda feeble looking. I got the brilliant idea to cover his chair in the front of the class with thumb tacks when he was called to the office. He returned, pulled out his chair sat down......... Now this was a FULL box of tacks! This man didn't miss a beat of his lecture! He stood up & started walking towards me tacks dropping from his rear. Still talking, he stood in front of my desk raking the rest of the tacks from his rear, still not missing a beat. Next thing I knew I was laying out in the hallway with my desk on top of me. Him, still didn't miss a beat, still lecturing while closing the door. I just kinda automatically gathered myself up & headed to the Vice Principals office to wait. Guaranteed him all the respect in the world from us kids. No one ever messed with him again.

S

stefen

Oh, the deeply buried memories have been stimulated...

Our school had incandescent bulb lights hanging from the ceiling from the old-type post & tube wiring...(no, I'm not older than dirt)..

Anyways, a well placed (and wet) spit-wad and the hot light would explode with a bang...

This eventually led with trip to the Principals office and the benefit to select the weapon of choice from the numerous paddles hanging on the wall...

Even though we lived on a farm a mile from the school...both mom and dad would have the full story before the paddle kissed the jeans...

The regret for being caught was that the old man would meet out a belt thrashing that was worse than the paddling...

Took a village to raise this child.... :laughing7:

S

Smee

Some coonass genius decided it would be a great idea to design attic fans into each of our brand new classrooms. Very modern looking school back in the 1960's, but in Louisiana, we never had airconditioning in our schools.

Our punishment for whatever we were caught doing was being confined to the classroom during recess and phys ed class. Well, as anyone from south Louisiana knows, you can find frogs just about everywhere if you bother to look. Morning was a good time to gather them up as it was still cool enough for them to be in the open along the canal next to the school.

Do you have any idea how many frogs 3 cajun boys can throw through the slats into those whirring blades in 10 minutes? The interesting thing is, most of the frog didn't go out of the vent, but came back down on the desk . . . just in lots of little bloody pieces . . . onto the teacher's desk, which he had positioned just under the fan.

I still think the beating was worth it. The old man quit and we got a nice young woman teacher . . . on her first teaching assignment.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Oh, the deeply buried memories have been stimulated...

This eventually led with trip to the Principals office and the benefit to select the weapon of choice from the numerous paddles hanging on the wall...

Took a village to raise this child.... :laughing7:

Our junior High VP was a golf pro during the summers :o He only had one paddle nicely ventilated with about 20 holes (all he needed) & the jerk always made you bend over and grab your ankles with you head about 4 or 5 inches from the wall. Get headaches on both ends just thinking about it ::)

Just glad he never found out who flushed the cherry bombs down the toilet ::).

S

stefen

:laughing7:

Or who tied and raised a slunk calf on the flagpole...

Attachments

• Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 203

jlove429

Dec 14, 2007
Ellabell Ga
WE had a shop teacher in my scholl.When he cought you doing anything wrong he would have you make your own paddle'\,spank you,and then grade you on the quality of your work.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
:laughing7:

Or who tied and raised a slunk calf on the flagpole...
Or cut a hole in the floorboard & roof of a mini cooper & drop it over a freshly topped tree.
Or filled a rival High schools pool with manure & straw from our FFA farm.
Or put skunk perfume in the duct work of the power mechanics building.
Or caught skunks at night (yup kept the tails down) packed em through the mail slot of the office & waited for all hell to break loose Monday.
Or had a teacher that would always leave out the back door of the classroom. On rainy days everyone would park their bikes under the eves in front of the door. He'd go to leave and bash his way out the door breaking and generally messing up everyones bikes. Fed up we gathered up every "Big Kid" we could and carried his volks wagon across the parking lot and dropped it 3" from the door ;D It was worth a hundred 5 cent Hershey bars seeing the look on his face when he came around the corner of the building and discovered he'd trashed his own car door & broken the window. :D :D Unbelieveably the principal decided not to disipline anyone.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Nice to see that my grade school wasn't the only one full of unregerate rednecks .
We didn't learn the art of flushing lit cherry bombs down toilets until high school .
No one has mentioned how interesting things can get when a large hornet's nest gets bagged in a chicken feed sack and released through a broken window into the school during the night .

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw, Skunks were easier to find in our area, and wasps just weren't in style ::) anyone could grab a wasp nest, but you were put into hero almost ooohhh ahhh status for catching a couple skunks without getting cologned :notworthy:

Amazing we all survived our school years! Lesseeee.... I had one teacher committed suicide, two died from alcoholism, one had a nervous breakdown, and another was rumored to have had a breakdown. We didn't have guns & knives like kids do today, but I bet we had more imagination & fun than they do today.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
:laughing9: :laughing9: OMG I did stunts in school but cant compare tho these,I enjoyed reading those memories you fellas have.But the skunk idea is the best!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread